Turning part of garden into paddock?

diddy

Visit site
Hi all,

We have the ponies at home and are a bit short of grazing (understatement!) We have a fairly big garden, which we don’t really use and in the summer I get fed up of mowing the lawn especially when I never seem to have a enough grass for the horses! So, the obvious solution is to use some of the garden for the animals instead. Does this sound like a good plan or will it look weird/ugly?

Basically, the garden is maybe 50m long by 20m wide. So the plan would be to fence off the bottom half and put the ponies in there when the land is fairly dry. We have some play equipment and a summer house down there, but I could put a track through the "field" so people don’t get wet if they want to go in there for non-horsey purposes!

Has anyone done this or would it look odd? Am also thinking whether it might put people off if and when we come to sell in a few years, or whether there are any planning implications. Any thoughts welcome, thank you :)

windand rain

Visit site
We built a stable and foaling pen in our garden when we had a big garden. the stable was open and bedded the fence was sturdy post and rail so looked smart. The colt came during the summer to mow the grass and to be gelded so it is doable. We also had an archway through a hedge at one point. Just make sure there are no toxic plants in the bit you fence off

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Do it, then you have room for at least one more ;) We have a small paddock at the top of our garden but access is rather awkward so most things have to come through the house (barn) but I've always been tempted to add 'something' :D But apparently im not allowed, lol!

dorsetladette

Visit site
we had a pony come home from the yard to graze ours and next doors garden when we were kids. Could you not just pop them in the garden when the ground was dry enough and you were around to keep an eye on them. Then you could just pop a bit of electric fencing up for the afternoon or what ever. then you have the best of both worlds a nice big garden with the lawn kept tidy and a bit more grazing for the ponies.

spookypony

Visit site
I did this for a few summers: used mains electric rope on thin wooden posts to fence it in (my garden is between 2 paddocks and bordered by a row of trees and a burn, so that was secure enough), and popped the ponies on it. 20m x 50m is not a huge area (my smaller paddock is about 25 x 50), so it won't last very long per use, but it would give your other grazing a couple of weeks to recover each time.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Yes we've done it.

We live in an old former farmhouse and the 'lawn' is actually part of a field that has been turned in to garden at some point in the past. It's really rough stalky grass that is a nightmare to mow, so we've put a paddock in. It's a permanent paddock so we've used proper post and rail fencing but it wouldn't be too hard to take down in the future.

It's really useful for if one of them needs a bit more grass than the others and, once it's been eaten down, its perfect for the mini shetland.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
There may well be planning implications if this is going to be a long term or permanent change of land use - but the only people that can advise you on that are your local planning authority or a planning consultant familiar with your area.

diddy

Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. I should have known you'd all say do it! Yes, hear what you're saying about the play equipment. It's to the side, so quite easy to fence that bit off now I come to think of it. I can imagine one of the ponies using it as a scratching post and causing chaos! I have been using the whole garden occasionally with electric fencing but it's a bit of a pain having to put it up and take it down and the children complain that the hoofprints mess up the penalty area!

So I'm thinking to give them each their dedicated area and putting some nice P and R fencing up. I think I might get a bit of resistance from my OH, but seeing as he never does any gardening himself, I think I may just overrule him - it does happen just occasionally! Thanks so much for all your ideas!

scruffyponies

Visit site
I graze the lawn regularly after riding out from the house. Main reason is that we are by a fast road, and I want them to head directly for, and stay on, the lawn as and when they ever get loose.

For occasional grazing I don't find it necessary to fence anything off. They naturally graze the mowed bit and wander into the rough (large shrubbery area) for a poo. The grass is better than their paddock, so they are not inclined to wander or muck about when they could be filling their little pony faces.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I often pop the pony on the lawn for a couple of hours here and there (but for us it wouldn't be practical/safe to leave her on there unsupervised for any length of time). Kids also use the garden for gymkhana games ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Separating the area into a horse area and a kids area sounds best.

My lads would have got most annoyed if there were hoof prints in their football/cricket practice areas!

Planning might be an issue, it’s all to do with curtilages and stuff, and possible change of use.

paddy555

Visit site
I put ponies in the garden as I can't see any reason to mow the grass when they can do it for me. Works perfectly. I poo pick and when I take them out I use a strimmer to top anything they have left to keep it looking tidy. I wouldn't put them in when it was wet and they were going to damage the ground but when it is fine they do a good job and it always looks very well cared for. I can't see a problem if you come to sell.. Just keep them out for a bit and tidy it up. Who knows the new people may be inspired to get a pony lawnmower.