Turning stable into a wash box?

whiteflower

Visit site
We are in the process of turning a large wooden standard stable into a wash box. Has anyone done this and how do you deal with drainage ?

The floor is obviously currently concrete and flat, do we need to do something to it in order to make the water drain to one area so we can put a drain at the edge into a soak away ?

Also what type of matting is best for this. My concerns are water not draining away and freezing on the ground/mats during winter and making it slippery.

Can't get my head around how to deal with the drainage issue. Any ideas or advice on how you have set up your wash box in these circumstances much appreciated !

turnbuckle

Visit site
Quite interesting. I would guess there IS a slight angle on the floor, buy or borrow along level and see if there is.

A bigger problem is lighting and a heat lamp- if you are going to have one. I'm not normally one for standards and specs but if you have water sloshing around and the electrics are not insulated to the right spec, you are asking for a fried horse.

Freezing not too huge an issue, if it's freezing hard you won't be hunting so no need to wash....

Might be better to build an outside covered wash bay, a bit like a car port, you can have new concrete laid with a slope and then make the box into a solarium?

whiteflower

Visit site
Thanks for your reply turnbuckle. There is a very slight run to one side of the stable but it really is very slight. Unfortunately building a new area isn't an option for us so we need to find a way to make best use of the spare stable.
It's a good point re the electrics. It's a very large box so will have solarium at a separate end but will be using outdoor waterproof lighting and switch as a precaution anyway.

Just concerned about the water pooling and freezing but maybe I just need to knock a few base bricks out at the back and sweep it out after each wash ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
My was box was a spare stable for years it sort of drained to the front of should I say mote to the front than anywhere else we chucked in some loose mats and got on with it .
I had to sweep it out after use and lift the mats now and again .
It worked very well and any hassle was far outweighed by not having to wash outside in winter .
Electric should not be an issue in a barn all your lighting ought to be wired from above so you can forget about that issue unless the fuse box is in the stable .
I would know out a brick to let the water out and remember you will have to collect the mud from outside or it will build up I could not believe how much mud came off five horses .

whiteflower

Visit site
Thanks goldenstar, that's really useful. I think I'm just overthinking it. Hadn't thought about the 'sludge' u end up with in a wash area so I will factor that in with where I remove the brick. It's good to know how it's worked for someone else. Will just be so much easier in the winter with hippo horses on clay land !

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We had a bit of mesh over the outlet hole for the water, it caught the mud, poo shavings etc so we could easily shovel it up and avoid blocking the drain outside.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The slope in my wash stable is very slight. I sweep the water, mud and hair towards the drain hole, make a little mound, leave it to drain and shovel it up later.

It’s quite therapeutic job that one .
I have a channel a brush width wide now where the mud settles and we collect from there .
OP you could have screed put on top of the concrete to give you fall you need to get a expert to lay it a there’s a knack to it .