Turnout after box rest

MarvelVillis

Visit site
My gelding has been on box rest/isolation for 5 weeks due to EHV and I'm hopeful that he'll get a negative result soon so he'll be allowed back out. I'm a bit worried about the risk of colic going from hay to grass, especially as the spring grass is on its way, so I want to manage his transition to turnout in the safest way. My plan for the first week was turn him out from 8am-12pm approx, and bring him in for the rest of the day/overnight, and then the second week he'd be out 8am-4pm and in overnight, and this would continue until summer turnout in May. I work full time so this would be the best way I could manage it by popping up on my lunch break to bring him in during the first week. Does this sound ok? Or does 4 hours on grass the first week sound too much and should be more gradual?

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Honestly I’d be more cautious I think…an hour and build it up from there …is it possible for you to cut/pull a bucket of grass to feed him whilst still on box rest..just to get the gut flora starting to adjust?