Turnout after food abscess

supagran

Visit site
My retired mare, who is barefoot behind, has an abscess in her hind hoof which has been opened by farrier and is currently on box rest with animalintex etc. it’s draining nicely, but I’m now wondering how/when to turn her out because the fields are so wet and the gateway is over fetlock deep in liquid mud/old cattle muck. The farmer will not put hardcore down so please don’t suggest that 😟. There is no other field I can turn her out in and I’m at a loss what the next step is - do I
a) keep her in with in hand walking until the whole foot has healed, which I suppose could be months
b) once abscess has stopped draining let the foot harden up a bit, spray with “blue” spray and just turn her out ( hopefully next week)
any suggestions please?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I think that's a question for the vet or farrier.

My friend turns out as soon as the lameness has gone with a hoofboot protecting the poultice (dry poultice by this stage) because movement and blood flow are good for healing. There's always some nervousness about him slipping in the boot and causing a different injury but I don't think this has happened.

supagran

Visit site
I think that's a question for the vet or farrier.

My friend turns out as soon as the lameness has gone with a hoofboot protecting the poultice (dry poultice by this stage) because movement and blood flow are good for healing. There's always some nervousness about him slipping in the boot and causing a different injury but I don't think this has happened.

I thought about a hoof boot, but as the mud is over fetlock deep in th gateway it would just fill with mud when she’s turned out and she would have to stand in the mud filled boot all day in the field. Seems like a no win solution🤔 Farrier due in 10 days, so might just have to leave it until then before thinking of turning her out.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I’d just cover well and turn out. I do it like this: Animalintex followed by vetwrap, then cover the whole lot with duct tape. Then a corner of a plastic feed bag and more duck tape with extra on the bottom, until the dressing is waterproof and secure.
Yeah, I think my friend would do that if we had direct access to the grass but we have to go over hard-core and sand which is a bit tough on the duct tape. Should work for the OP if no hardstanding to negotiate.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I thought about a hoof boot, but as the mud is over fetlock deep in th gateway it would just fill with mud when she’s turned out and she would have to stand in the mud filled boot all day in the field. Seems like a no win solution🤔 Farrier due in 10 days, so might just have to leave it until then before thinking of turning her out.

You just tape the bag higher up the leg don't bother with a boot, I just put the animalintex on then a nappy then put the foot in one of the corners of the sack then I double it back over the hoof, then duct tape it as high as you want it to go then trim the excess bag off.

Just don't put the duct tape too tight around the leg and this way I have never had one fall off.

w1bbler

Visit site
Woofwear medical hoof boots have been my saviour for this. 2 different horses, both live out 24/7 & have managed to heal their abcess with these.
Once you no longer need to dress the hoof plug the hole with red horse hoof stuff, stays in magically in deep mud & keeps the hole clean, easy to replace daily 🙂

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Dry poultice, nappy, plastic bag, duct tape. Put a poultice boot over if necessary, and a mud fever boot or similar neoprene fetlock boot. They're better off out than standing around. Oh, and you can pack the hole with some stuff which will keep muck out (can't remember name), or even just a cotton ball & vaseline.

ETA - see w1bbler's post above.

Auslander

Visit site
Woofwear medical hoof boots have been my saviour for this. 2 different horses, both live out 24/7 & have managed to heal their abcess with these.
Once you no longer need to dress the hoof plug the hole with red horse hoof stuff, stays in magically in deep mud & keeps the hole clean, easy to replace daily 🙂

I'm a fan of the woof medical hoof boots too. I put a turnout boot on as well, so the top of the hoof boot is protected from leakage/tearing off. i had a little mare here who was awful to stable, but had several abscesses in quick succession last winter, and we kept her foot dry very successfully, even in the mid cannon deep mud that I am cursed with!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Haven't had to deal one for ages (touch wood) but used to use Pampers, or similar, secured with duct tape. Protects foot and is breathable.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Plug the hole with peroxide soaked cotton wool with Stockholm tar on top. That's what I do. Too much poultice and wrapping will soften everything. When you bring her in remove the bung squirt in some peroxide apply your bung and tar and put her out.

Hallo2012

Visit site
once it has stopped draining use sugardine to harden the foot, then dry animalintex on top, then a woof medical boot on top.

the boots are fab and will keep most of the mud out.