Turnout and fields this winter

HelenBack

Visit site
Just musing on how much turnout everybody is managing to get this winter and what your fields are like with all the rain we're having? I'm particularly interested in those on livery yards because that's what I'm on and I think livery does pose a different set of challenge to keeping horses at home. Obviously those with horses at home are very welcome to comment too though!

On our yard the horses are still going out all day every day although the fields are not a very pleasant site and the mud is definitely more than just around the gateway! They do continue to go out every day all winter, unless there's really deep snow or something like that, but will go on to shorter days if the weather gets much worse (is that actually possible?).

I'm glad they get to go out even when it's horrible but it would be nice if it would stop raining even for a day or so just to let the fields dry up even a little bit. I do worry at the moment how they're going to come back if the weather doesn't improve.

How is everybody else faring?

Fanatical

Visit site
Daily turnout on our livery yard but only half a day in winter - they come in at lunch time. We're on clay so it's very wet but the half day means they stay green so they actually want to be out for the time they are out rather than stood looking miserable in the mud.
They stay in only on days when the weather is very bad like today - high winds/ snow etc.
They're all pretty happy in this routine. I think as long as they get out regularly it's not a novelty and keeps their heads straight.

humblepie

Visit site
On DIY livery, the horses can go out every day. Some of the fields are quite bad and others okay. Some of the horses stand at the gate a lot so the gates get bad, but others don't. Was drying out nicely the start of the week until the next deluge. I like mine out but he comes in mid afternoon as I take a late lunch then go back to work. Means he generally isn't waiting at the gate until he hears my car!

callybbi

Visit site
I'm not on livery anymore as the yard closed this year, but we would have been on 3 day turnout by now - either half days or daylight hours weather dependent. That yard had 4 concrete turnout pens and a horse walker and 3 arenas for 90+horses to share.
Now I keep them on a private rented yard, we don't have much land so have to be careful.
Dry days they stay out with open access to yard area/open stables. Wet days the gates to the field are closed and they mooch around the yard/stable area. Trash field open whilst we're there for them to go out for a roll etc.

ihatework

Visit site
It's a nightmare on livery isn't it! One of the many reasons I have stepped back from riding myself, round here livery comes with a tiny individual paddock that gets wet to the point that in winter horses get 2-3 hours. I don't have time or inclination to manage horses myself that way.

My 2 ridden ones are on competition loan in private homes that both have their own land, company. The older one is out a good 6-7 hours (and 24hours if weather ok), the 4yo is still out overnight and comes in for a few hours in day.
Weaned mare out 24/7
Foal out 24/7 when weather okay-ish and shares a large stable overnight in the dire weather.

But in all honesty I've had to go quite far afield to achieve this as it's just not on my doorstop.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My 3 are kept at home, and whilst I have been able to keep them living out, the damage to my land as they cut it up is unprecedented 😳. I have never known it as wet in the 37 years that we have been here.

I hope that I can rescue the poached areas in the spring with my trusty grass harrows and ballast roller.

ETA Though it has dried up a lot in the last few days, and is drying up even more today with the gale force winds courtesy of Storm Pia(?).

Last edited:

Surbie

Visit site
No restrictions on turnout where I am. I'm managing 10-12 hours per day. Most of the field is ok, though with some boggier areas, but the gateway is getting quite nasty. Mud slabs in the gateway are a godsend.

Love

Visit site
Ours can still go out daily. Ken goes out the majority of days unless it is very rubbish weather, like today. They go out about 7.30 and in around 3.30 My field isn't actually that bad this year other than the gateway and the patch where he stands chilling with his field neighbour - others that are normally ok are absolutely trashed. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either

Kirstd33

Visit site
On a small rural diy livery yard and my coblet is generally out 9-3 give or take 30 mins either side. Our YO likes them in when the light goes so this should now get extended by a few mins each day woo hoo! Fields are sloping and at the top of a hill holding up ok but the walk up there and back is a quagmire

scats

Visit site
We have our own fields at livery yard so I can move mine between a few paddocks to save the land as much as possible. Gateways are a little cut up but nothing like other yards get. I fence off the main gate and then bring them through at different sides of that fence to stop the ground getting too trashed in the same spot.
They go out everyday.

Annagain

Visit site
HB it's been exceptionally wet in our area this autumn, I think the wettest I've ever known (although I feel like I say that every year!). Our field is a swamp within about 15m of the gate (the gate itself is like wading through soup, we have bedrock about a foot down so we don't get that thick cloying mud, we just get very wet sloppy mud down to the rock) but not awful in the rest of the field. The boys are out about 12 hrs a day and are finding enough grass to keep them munching throughout the day. They're very ready to come in though and Wig in particular is devouring all his haylage (not unusual but I'm giving him more this year than last). Archie is doing his usual thing of eating what he wants but not gorging and is holding his weight better this winter than last (but is rugged this year and wasn't last year) and doesn't look bad for a 4 years retired 29 year old. I'm weightaping him weekly and he's actually put on weight over the last month. Wig would be happy in 24/7 as long as he had grub but obviously Archie needs to be out as much as possible to keep him moving.

wiglet

Visit site
I'm on a small diy yard. It's on sandy land but I have to say, with all the rain we've had this year, even our fields have muddy areas which is unheard of.
That said, we still have turnout everyday (in at night). Some choose to leave in but most are out. It's individual grazing so if you trash your field, you have to fix it.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I manage my own fields, they're mostly clay but not heavy. The gateways are muddy but rest are holding up pretty well , my cob and pony go out for about 7 hours per day.
Most of this area is on heavy clay and those places are pretty much under water.

Last edited:

HelenBack

Visit site
Interesting to hear everybody's replies, and that even people with their own land are struggling. I also agree that it seems to be random, I've seen fields that in other years have looked terrible and this year they don't look too bad at all!

I think as long as they get out regularly it's not a novelty and keeps their heads straight.

Yes definitely. I'd much rather they go out every day but for less time than being cooped up for days or weeks on end. As you say at least they stay sane and manageable this way.

It's a nightmare on livery isn't it! One of the many reasons I have stepped back from riding myself, round here livery comes with a tiny individual paddock that gets wet to the point that in winter horses get 2-3 hours. I don't have time or inclination to manage horses myself that way.

My 2 ridden ones are on competition loan in private homes that both have their own land, company. The older one is out a good 6-7 hours (and 24hours if weather ok), the 4yo is still out overnight and comes in for a few hours in day.
Weaned mare out 24/7
Foal out 24/7 when weather okay-ish and shares a large stable overnight in the dire weather.

But in all honesty I've had to go quite far afield to achieve this as it's just not on my doorstop.

Yes I think I ave finally accepted that all livery comes with a compromise! We tend to have more of big fields with big herds in round our way but there are usually too many horses for the size of the fields and the fields don't generally get much in the way of rest. I do understand that yard owners have to put more horses in to try and make any money though and also I do have full livery which is a bit of a life saver for me in terms of not having to do the mucking out myself. So it's all pros and cons I suppose. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't ride but I can understand why you've chosen to move your further away and I do wonder about the future of horse ownership in general the way the winters are going.

ETA Though it has dried up a lot in the last few days, and is drying up even more today with the gale force winds courtesy of Storm Pia(?).

Yes the wind should definitely dry things up today! I guess if we're on storm Pia already that says a lot too, I've kind of lost track now but that's a lot of storms to have had already this year!

HB it's been exceptionally wet in our area this autumn, I think the wettest I've ever known (although I feel like I say that every year!). Our field is a swamp within about 15m of the gate (the gate itself is like wading through soup, we have bedrock about a foot down so we don't get that thick cloying mud, we just get very wet sloppy mud down to the rock) but not awful in the rest of the field. The boys are out about 12 hrs a day and are finding enough grass to keep them munching throughout the day. They're very ready to come in though and Wig in particular is devouring all his haylage (not unusual but I'm giving him more this year than last). Archie is doing his usual thing of eating what he wants but not gorging and is holding his weight better this winter than last (but is rugged this year and wasn't last year) and doesn't look bad for a 4 years retired 29 year old. I'm weightaping him weekly and he's actually put on weight over the last month. Wig would be happy in 24/7 as long as he had grub but obviously Archie needs to be out as much as possible to keep him moving.

Oh I definitely know what you mean about thinking it's the wettest winter yet every single year! I think it did start earlier this year though didn't it and does seem to have been pretty relentless. I will admit that the weather usually gets me down at some point every winter but I was doing okay this year and then this week it just seems to have finally got to me. There's nothing but rain in the forecast either so I suppose I'm just finding it all a bit depressing really. Hopefully as the nights start to get a bit lighter now things will start to feel easier again. Maybe we'll even have a dry January and February. Why does that make me want to laugh so much??

millitiger

Visit site
I have mine at home - this winter is definitely a wet one!
Mine are still out overnight and come in for 5-6 hours in the morning.

The field is churned up but isn't boot sucking- it's easy to walk across.
They also have Jelka mats around their hay stations and along the hedge line where they shelter- these are a life saver!

In very, very wet weather they may do the occasional night in which they seem happy with.

P.forpony

Visit site
I'm on livery but basically have the field to myself to manage as I wish.
I have been turning out over night and bringing in during the day. I find they are more chilled overnight so less chance of the ground getting cut up, and bonus is he's dry and ready to ride in the evenings when I escape from work.
I strip graze so don't have too much of an issue with gateways because it moves back about 6 inches a day.

Which all sounds really positive as I read it back...
But about half the field is currently under standing water. We're on heavy clay so the mud is unbelievable even where the ground isn't poached at all. The tb is a constant battle against mud fever and I'm worried the shetland may need a snorkel soon 🙈

I'm just clinging on to those precious few minutes of light every day now we're over the worst!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
We are at livery, they are all going out every day from around 8.30-4.30. Fields are a mess, have had lots of cases of mud fever and this week 7 lost shoes between the horses 😩 I would much prefer them to be out for less time standing in the mud, the farrier said it’s too long, their feet are getting soft…we have had 2 abscesses, ours cut her leg on the rubbish fencing and another is currently lame, not sure why.

It’s nice that they can go out but our yard they tend to chuck out whatever the weather and I don’t personally agree with it. There have been some torrential days that I think they needed to be in for just to let the ground have a break! I dread to think what the fields will be like by Feb…they have been out 24/7 May to October then they were all out overnight and in for 8hrs during the day from Oct to November…when we all made a fuss and demanded they come in at night! They don’t like to do any yard work in the day which is why they won’t bring them in earlier.

I’m actually hoping we’ve moved by then if a space comes up elsewhere!

Last edited:

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Daily turnout on our livery yard but only half a day in winter - they come in at lunch time. We're on clay so it's very wet but the half day means they stay green so they actually want to be out for the time they are out rather than stood looking miserable in the mud.
They stay in only on days when the weather is very bad like today - high winds/ snow etc.
They're all pretty happy in this routine. I think as long as they get out regularly it's not a novelty and keeps their heads straight.
That sounds great, ours are stuck out till they get them in at 4.30 (or earlier if I’m able to go and do it) and they are all desperate to come in. Gives the fields a bit of a break too

happyhorse978

Visit site
Daily turnout on our livery yard too. Fields are holding up fairly well to be fair...just wet/bit muddy around the gateways but we can cope with that as nothing terrible! The land does seem to drain well. Mine goes out at 7:15am and comes in about 4:15pm. There is hardly any grass for them to graze now but I give ad-lib haylage

HelenBack

Visit site
We are at livery, they are all going out every day from around 8.30-4.30. Fields are a mess, have had lots of cases of mud fever and this week 7 lost shoes between the horses 😩 I would much prefer them to be out for less time standing in the mud, the farrier said it’s too long, their feet are getting soft…we have had 2 abscesses, ours cut her leg on the rubbish fencing and another is currently lame, not sure why.

It’s nice that they can go out but our yard they tend to chuck out whatever the weather and I don’t personally agree with it. There have been some torrential days that I think they needed to be in for just to let the ground have a break! I dread to think what the fields will be like by Feb…they have been out 24/7 May to October then they were all out overnight and in for 8hrs during the day from Oct to November…when we all made a fuss and demanded they come in at night! They don’t like to do any yard work in the day which is why they won’t bring them in earlier.

I’m actually hoping we’ve moved by then if a space comes up elsewhere!
Yes I think I've read about your struggles on your other posts and I'm really sorry to hear it, it does sound pretty bad. It's really difficult isn't it? I really hate horses having to stay in and tend to think they just cut the field up by running around once they go back out if they have stayed in. Just chucking them out all day when the fields aren't up to it just because they don't want the extra work isn't on though really is it? I tihkn the time out at our yard is governed more by the horses and if they've had enough they will get them in early.

I hope you manage to find somewhere, it's horrible being stuck on a yard you're really unhappy on and not being able to find any sort of suitable alternative.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I'm on a small DIY yard and we have about 12 acres shared between 5 horses so luckily even though its obviously wet thanks to the ridiculous amount of rain we've had, there's enough space that the fields are fine and still have grass, the only mud we have so far is through gateways.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Yes I think I've read about your struggles on your other posts and I'm really sorry to hear it, it does sound pretty bad. It's really difficult isn't it? I really hate horses having to stay in and tend to think they just cut the field up by running around once they go back out if they have stayed in. Just chucking them out all day when the fields aren't up to it just because they don't want the extra work isn't on though really is it? I tihkn the time out at our yard is governed more by the horses and if they've had enough they will get them in early.

I hope you manage to find somewhere, it's horrible being stuck on a yard you're really unhappy on and not being able to find any sort of suitable alternative.
It’s really frustrating, another lost shoe this week from her pawing the fence.. the fences are terrible and needs ripping out. That’s to go with our £400 vet bill from a bad cut a month ago which could only have been from the fence the vet said… she’s lost 4 shoes which have all been on the wire fences. I’m so worried she’s going to really hurt herself 😩 we’ve got a few too look at which are full but hopefully come spring might have space, here’s hoping

• Sad
Reactions: JBM

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I’ve rotated mine around a lot more this year than I normally would by this point. I started bringing them in at night from the beginning of December to give them a break from the relentless rain and wind. They go out everyday, in horrendous weather I would bring in after a few hours if they told me they wanted to come in but they have been averaging 7-8 hours per day. They were out 8.30 - 2.30 today in this wind and I brought them in a bit earlier but I had to walk and get them 🙈 Two are in 10 acres though and have lots of natural shelter and the other one is next door in about four acres so they have plenty of room to move around and don’t get bored - I don’t have to put hay out. Yesterday i didn’t get home until late so they came in at 6 but most days I like to get them in by 4 before it gets dark. I think they are enjoying coming in for the evenings though! They will stay in overnight now until spring.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My summer track and middle acre have been rested since September, it’s far too muddy for them to be on it so they are back in the winter field and out from 3.30pm to 7am. The gateway is the muddiest it has been for ten years but the rest of the field is holding up well considering the amount of rain we’ve had and it’s clay.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Someone said about all livery coming at a compromise and that's true
I share the yard with a pair of utter c word psychopaths but the YO herself is lovely.
But I've got probably about 3 acres if not more for my cob and pony ,.that I manage myself ,.so my boys are going out every day for 7 hours on good ground with actual grass to eat.
I've never had this luxury before so I put up with the psychos for the sake of my boys' welfare

Last edited:

JBM

Visit site
It’s really frustrating, another lost shoe this week from her pawing the fence.. the fences are terrible and needs ripping out. That’s to go with our £400 vet bill from a bad cut a month ago which could only have been from the fence the vet said… she’s lost 4 shoes which have all been on the wire fences. I’m so worried she’s going to really hurt herself 😩 we’ve got a few too look at which are full but hopefully come spring might have space, here’s hoping
Any chance you can electric fence in front of the existing fence?

First Frost

Visit site
I feel very lucky.
My two live on a private yard, with just 4 other horses. I have my own fields, stables and all weather turnout pens with shelters. My boys are out in the field for about 7 hours a day. Their field is very well drained (it never used to be - two years ago land drains were put in) and only has a bit of mud by the gateway. They spend the rest of their time in their turnout pens with plenty of hay. It always surprises me how little they use their shelter in winter, despite them having full beds down. Due to this obvious preference for being out I have chosen not to stable them so far this winter.
I really feel for owners and horses dealing with deep mud.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Any chance you can electric fence in front of the existing fence?
They did put a strip of electric fence over the top of the existing stock fence but would you believe without electric.. so they just lean on it and push it down. She was almost straddling it the other day so I made a fuss and they did electrify it finally. She’s kept away since but they don’t do it consistently… no they won’t run a proper electric fence inside it, they don’t think it needs it 😩 it needs fully re-fencing as there are some really low sections with a few branches over the top 🫣 she’s already gone through the fence once in high winds…how we’ve not had more serious injuries I don’t know x

Reactions: JBM