Turnout boot recommendations?

ImmyS

Visit site
I would like to take Finn to a couple of inhand shows this autumn before he’s turned away. He’s turned out 24/7 with no yard/stables etc so will be prepping him in the field.
He has a lot of white on his legs so looking for recommendations for boots so I can wash his legs and boot to keep clean over night.
need something that comfortably fits chunky ID legs!
Would be grateful for recommendations and an idea of sizing please ☺️

Squeak

Visit site
Tbh if it's dry I've never found I needed to use anything to cover the legs as they stay pretty clean. If it's muddy then usually the mud gets under boots to some degree so it's easier just to hose off when they come in and anything that keeps most of the mud and damp out usually is completely unbreathable so their legs would be hot and sweating all night.

If the legs were washed the day before then I find a hosing with just water brings them up well the next day.

Sealine

Visit site
I've never done any showing but I do have a horse with 4 white legs :( Rather than boots I'd wash his legs the day before and, when dry, apply some mane and tail spray which makes them easy to brush off in the morning if they get muddy and seems to prevent stains. You could chalk his legs in the morning after brushing off overnight dirt and brush chalk out when you arrive at the show. You could also have some stain remover spray to hand in case he does get any stains.

I'm sure someone with more experience of showing will come along with some great advice for you. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

ImmyS

Visit site
Thank you both for the tips - it’s grass and poop stains which are the problem, especially his back legs as have the most white, but those tips are really helpful thank you!

Sealine

Visit site
I've just remembered another tip. After washing a tail the night before an early outing, I spray with mane and tail spray and loosely plait in one big plait. It seems to stop my horse from pooing on his white tail and when I brush it out in the morning it's nice and wavy.