Turnout boots help

Medb

Visit site
Do you put boots on to turnout?
And if so, what do you use?

Percy usually goes out in WoofWear brushing boots and overreach boots but his brushing boots seem to have vanished in the field so I’m looking at other options before I replace them.

I’m sure that you clever lot will have found a good balance between protection of the horse from pratting about, mud protection, and not being so expensive you cry every time it gets mud on it!
TIA

AFB

Visit site
No - because over heating tendons outweighs the risk of impact injury IMO.

I have used mud fever TO boots on a previous horse but they weren't practical if you've got 'proper' mud, you need to have 2 pairs to swap daily and keep washing/drying them inbetween (and that's assuming you're stabling overnight).

I do boot for exercise when jumping as then I view the risk of impact injury being higher than tendon overheating, so I'm not averse full stop.

starfish8

Visit site
My mud-fever prone monster wears premier equine turnout boots in autumn/winter - usually just on hind legs but she has had to wear them in front after the odd self-harming episode. Would recommend - they seem to be working so far (touch wood) and dont slip. I do have three pairs for the whole wash/wear/spare situation that AFB describes though...

Medb

Visit site
No - because over heating tendons outweighs the risk of impact injury IMO.

I have used mud fever TO boots on a previous horse but they weren't practical if you've got 'proper' mud, you need to have 2 pairs to swap daily and keep washing/drying them inbetween (and that's assuming you're stabling overnight).

I do boot for exercise when jumping as then I view the risk of impact injury being higher than tendon overheating, so I'm not averse full stop.

That’s an interesting point, and one that has definitely crossed my mind! I’ve just taken him on full loan, and the boots are something that pre-date me having him- to be honest it’s not something I have bothered with previously which is why I wanted to gauge a wider opinion :)

Medb

Visit site
My mud-fever prone monster wears premier equine turnout boots in autumn/winter - usually just on hind legs but she has had to wear them in front after the odd self-harming episode. Would recommend - they seem to be working so far (touch wood) and dont slip. I do have three pairs for the whole wash/wear/spare situation that AFB describes though...
just rubber over reach boots for me, easy to hose of, and cheap to buy

I think that I might see how he goes with just the overreach boots for now then and maybe look at getting some of the turnout boots if he seems to be whacking himself or getting irritated by the mud.. rotating multiple pairs sounds like a bit of a faff though, but better than a sore horse I guess!

Thanks everyone for your replies :)