Turnout boots - yes or no?

SWE

Visit site
Does anyone have any opinions on turnout boots?

One of my horses is a bit of a noggin and often comes in with the odd scratch on his legs so I was thinking about getting a set of turnout boots for him. I've never used them before so wondered what the pros and cons were? Heating? Rubbing? Protection against injury / mud fever etc?

Recommendations on brands that fit skinny TBs would be great too

TIA!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
My huntsman vet always told me not to use boots for long periods on any horse even on my TB, as they cause the tendons to heat, creates rubs, and weakens the leg through constant support - i would second this after a personal ankle injury and i became dependent upon the support bandage for quite some time till i weaned myself off them.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I've got the Premier equine mud boots as my tb has far too much fun in the field. I'd much rather her out au naturel but it's not worth risking the injuries. They keep her legs clean and safe. In the summer she'll just be in her overreach boots but I think the mud boots are good for this time of year. She clowns around more in the fresh weather. They haven't rubbed at all. I ordered her medium size and they fit well. I think they're on sale at the moment.

BOWS28

Visit site
We now have a lot of mud to contend with so I use the Premier Equine Air Tech turnout boots. Shes 20 now and i like knowing her legs are supported whilst slipping and sliding aswell as pulling herself through fairly thick mud at the walk way of her field. They are only out for half a day now and they are fantastic. Clean and cool legs when she comes in and I have a happy girl!

Micropony

Visit site
I think it depends how long they're out for, and whether the turnout boots are clean and dry before they go on the horse. I use them, but my horse isn't out all day, and he has multiple sets so he always has clean dry boots to wear. I think wet muddy boots are more likely to rub and cause problems. If he was out for hours and hours I think I would find a different way of managing things.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I think it depends how long they're out for, and whether the turnout boots are clean and dry before they go on the horse. I use them, but my horse isn't out all day, and he has multiple sets so he always has clean dry boots to wear. I think wet muddy boots are more likely to rub and cause problems. If he was out for hours and hours I think I would find a different way of managing things.
I should add mine go in the washing machine most nights. Like micropony I wouldn't put muddy boots back on