Turnout convert

Bessieboo

Visit site
I have recently moved yards from one with limited to turn out to one which turns out all day every day pretty much and have to say I am a total convert.

Now don't get me wrong my horse was quite happy where she was before but since we have moved she is so much better. She is always pleasant to be around, much more affectionate and a real pleasure to ride, even after a great big break whilst I had the swine flu over Christmas. I am putting this down to being turned out each day and hope (fingers crossed) that it lasts.

The only "down" side at the moment is all the mud. She has feathers so is constantly muddied up. I am just leaving the mud to dry and then brushing it off - again fingers crossed I am doing the right thing.

So I can only speak for my personal experience here but can honestly say that lots of turnout seems to do wonders for a horse.

turkana

Visit site
Good to hear that your horse is happier.

I'm a bit anal about turn out & have always tried to only go to yards where mine can live out full time; I was on one yard that didn't have winter turn out but we compromised by putting them into a large cattle pen so they spent the winter inside but were able to walk around & still have contact with each other.

It was a big farm & we could ride around their land which ment we hardly went on the roads at all, so it was worth it & the horses seemed very happy in their barn.

The mud can be a pain but for me it's worth it as I think most horses are better off being outside as much as possible.

soulfull

Visit site
I'm glad you found somewhere that does more turn out. yes most horses much prefer going out everyday for a good few hours.

My own doesn't mind the odd day, or few days in if necessary so long as most of the time he is turned out

It really does make a big difference to their whole attitude

cobgirlie

Visit site
My boys are heavily feathered and I leave the mud and brush off, never wash them off pretty much all winter unless I'm going somewhere and they need to be smart. I've never had problems with mud fever..and believe me we have some mud!!!:mad:

I'm lucky at my yard we can turn out 24/7 if we want. The fields are muddy at the gates but because they are sandy and raised the tops are pretty dry even now. I keep Big Cob out 24/7 and LIttle Cob comes in at night because he can't have haylage so he's bought in so the others in the field can eat. I do prefer them out but have enjoyed LC being in, esp when it's bucketing down at 2am and I don't feel guilty!!!

Bug2007

Visit site
Mine are turned out 24/7 for the first time this year and they are much happier for it, Prince hasn't dropped weight at all and his legs used to swell in the stable, so no more bandages.
Lady is much happier, right grumpy moose in the stable.

It is the more nateral way of living for a horse. The amount of Race horses and ex ones that i know stabled with limited turnout who have lost all weight that once they where out 24/7 all year round have kept on the weight and are better for it.

Turnout is much more important to me and my horses then anything else.

Bessieboo

Visit site
Cobgirlie - good to hear that you leave the mud on feathers too makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.

The next stage for me is not to have my cob clipped next year and leave her to be a natural hairy beastie!

posie_honey

Visit site
next you get to the 24/7 365 turnout epiphany ;)
then no mucking out etc :D
i've yet to meet a horse that doesnt thrive on properly managed 24/7 turnout :)

Kub

Visit site
Ditto loving the turnout :) As for her feather, I have a traditional cob and I use pig oil and suplhur on him. Works a treat, mud just slides off.

Unfortuantely, our turnout seems to be slowly reducing so I'm jsut hoping and praying no more goes or we'll have serious problems.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I am totally with you. I am lucky enough to be on a yard which allows turnout 24hours a day all year round, so she does not tend to come in. Seren is a very amenable horse whatever I ask of her but she loves to be out, as long as there is food she is happy, rugs these days are excellent too.
Nice that you have found a great yard that allows more turnout, its always a must for me too. I would never want to have to be at a yard that did not allow good turnout

Joyous70

Visit site
Im a 24/7 365 days a year turn out fan too - my main priority when finding a new yard last year, was that they allowed 24/7 all year turn out - Cannot cope with them being in unless absolutely necessary, let horses be horses i say.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I totally agree. I've always kept mine out 24/7 and would never have it any other way. IMO all horses should live out, or at the absolute minimum be out all day - Its how they were designed!

cobgirlie

Visit site
Cobgirlie - good to hear that you leave the mud on feathers too makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.

The next stage for me is not to have my cob clipped next year and leave her to be a natural hairy beastie!

Go for it!!! I left BC unclipped this year because as he's only 4 I didn't want to over work him, hunted him once and since then he's been doing light work and enjoying a big baby!! He is extreamly hairy and managed all winter in a rain sheet..which to be honest I wouldn't have bothered with except for needing him dry if I wanted to ride in the evenings. His beard is nearly on his knees now...but luckily he's not as heavily feathered or maned as LC who I did clip as he's been hunting a few times and is now back in work getting ready for some Trek things and fun rides. If I didn't work them in the winter I'd def not clip and leave them 'au natural' as much as possible.

Do invest in a furminator brush though..fabulous for getting the winter coats out of them come spring!!

muffinino

Visit site
Glad to hear your horse is settled into the new way of life lol. Mine is out 24/7 in summer and in at night during winter (yard rules), though this suits me fine as he’s clipped for hunting. When he had to stay in due to the ice he was a painin the backside, although he was still turfed out in the mornings when the snow was soft, his legs were so clean! :D
I wouldn’t worry too much about mud being on feathers – that’s what they’re designed for! Keep an eye on the skin underneath but I bet that if the feather is left alone and is long enough, there’ll be a good inch of pure white hair and lovely pink clean skin under it :) If you want to keep it from getting bog burn and get it to scrub up nicely, get some pig oil and sulphur and apply from the skin outwards. You can also put it on manes and tails if you want to encourage it to grow. I get mine from www.sussexcobs.co.uk and it’s £25 for 5L but lasts for ages.