Turnout - How Many Hours?

Moya_999

Visit site
How many hours do your horses get over winter?

I don't like to compromise on my horses turnout. Unfortunately the other livery I share fields/ turnout/ bringing in with is rather lazy... He normally brings in and he has been fetching them in at 2:30pm!!! So he's only getting around 5 hours a day Not impressed! We have unrestricted turnout all year round, and I like him to make full use of it.

What annoys me more is that I'm up every morning early to put them out, yet he cannot be bothered coming down to the yard anymore in the morning and hasn't even bothered to mention it to me.

Rant over! .

Excuse me am I lazy then? I bring my lami prone in at 2 pm and they go out in am????

People turn out and bring in to suit the yard routine or their lifestyle or the horse/ponies medical problems. I fail to see its lazy bringing in at 2.30pm as long as the horse has been out at bit. Some yards turn mares out am gelding pm. I feel your comment is very unfair and accusing people who have to bring horses in early lazy.

On that front I will go turn my lami prone out * shock horror * they will come in at 2pm

Very soon the whole yard will be coming in at 3pm is that lazy???

they go out at 7.15 -3pm so we can all chip in in dailight to dee poo as doing that by torch light is not fun. SO before you past judgement on anyone briging in early respect why they do it

Last edited:

milesjess

Visit site
Excuse me am I lazy then? I bring my lami prone in at 2 pm and they go out in am????

People turn out and bring in to suit the yard routine or their lifestyle or the horse/ponies medical problems. I fail to see its lazy bringing in at 2.30pm as long as the horse has been out at bit. Some yards turn mares out am gelding pm. I feel your comment is very unfair and accusing people who have to bring horses in early lazy.

On that front I will go turn my lami prone out * shock horror * they will come in at 2pm

Very soon the whole yard will be coming in at 3pm is that lazy???

they go out at 7.15 -3pm so we can all chip in in dailight to dee poo as doing that by torch light is not fun. SO before you past judgement on anyone briging in early respect why they do it

Jeeze I didn't say EVERYONE who brings their horses in before 2:30pm is lazy! Because I don't know you, your horse or your routine so no I didn't say anyone else is lazy but he is because I know him and have done for long enough to know him personally and his routine and I know why he does it!

I think you have misread the comment I made, because at no point did I say 'anyone who brings their horse in before 2:30pm is clearly lazy' and I also didn't imply that was the case, I was referring to one individual that I know and not everyone else on here!

If you read my first post I clearly stated that 'the person I share field/ bringing in/ turning out with is lazy' ... I didn't say 'he brings them in at 2:30pm so he is lazy'.

Last edited:

exracehorse

Visit site
Out at 9am after school run and in at 2.30pm before school runs. I'm not messing around in the dark with my nutty TB. Any later and he's dangerous to bring in. He loves his stable and hates windy rainy days.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
The other owners at my yard tend to bring in between 2.30 and 3.30pm so I get up at 5.30am and turn out for 6am to maximise their time out. Given the choice, I'd have them out 24/7 or at least 12 hours but like everything, it's a compromise.

Quite intrigued about those who don't turn out in the dark.

lhotse

Visit site
Mine go out at about 9am and are in by 12.30pm. If it's horrid weather, they go out for a leg stretch and come back in. None are stressed, infact, my mare is quite happy to stay in all the time if she's ridden. I do try to put them out everyday, especially the two little ponies who aren't ridden, but I have to play it by ear with the weather where my mare is concerned as she doesn't like wind so will tear around the field pulling shoes off and potentially injuring herself. They are all in a routine, and they are lucky that they have a fab view across fields from their stables rather than being stuck in an indoor barn.

I have to have this routine also because I start work after lunchtime and work till late, often 10pm so have nobody able to bring them in. My elderly mother does evening stables but I can't expect her to bring 3 in, all who will be desperate to come in by then.

Suits me, suits the horses and it's only for a few months.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The other owners at my yard tend to bring in between 2.30 and 3.30pm so I get up at 5.30am and turn out for 6am to maximise their time out. Given the choice, I'd have them out 24/7 or at least 12 hours but like everything, it's a compromise.

Quite intrigued about those who don't turn out in the dark.

When you have a yard full of horses to turnout and bring in single handedly, and some of them can be excitable in the wind, then some of us prefer not to add darkness to the risks. I can't afford to get hurt. If a horse gets away from me, it will be very hard to see and therefore catch in the dark. If I was only dealing with my own horse and he or she was very well behaved in all weather conditions, and in the dark, and the route to the field was lit well enough, then I would consider it. But turning out in the dark would be reckless IMO in my situation.

muckypony

Visit site
Our yard has a rule that they must be in by 5. I don't mind at all, my boys would hate to be out that late!

I turn out at 7-7.30 weekdays and they are in by 3-3.30. My big boy just stands around after a couple of hours so I'd rather he was in eating hay, he then gets ridden at about 6.30. The two little ones will graze most of that time but when it gets to coming in time they play with each other and trash the field! Obviously each horse is different but none of the ones at my yard appreciate being out when it's cold with little to no grass.

As for your friends routine not suiting yours, I'm afraid that's just life.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Mine go out between 8 and 9am and come in between 5pm and 7pm but are on a large hardstanding with haynets. Before we built the hardstanding we suffered with mudrash due to heavy clay bog fields so they weren't out as much by far.

exracehorse

Visit site
When myou have a yard full of horses to turnout and bring in single handedly, and some of them can be excitable in the wind, then some of us prefer not to add darkness to the risks. I can't afford to get hurt. If a horse gets away from me, it will be very hard to see and therefore catch in the dark. If I was only dealing with my own horse and he or she was very well behaved in all weather conditions, and in the dark, and the route to the field was lit well enough, then I would consider it. But turning out in the dark would be reckless IMO in my situation.

Agree. I have an unlit track to walk to and from the fields. With no road lights either it is literally pitch black with no moon and with only a generator giving low lighting in the stables, I don't hang around. Plus its creepy being up there. Especially if no one else about

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
My horse goes out at around 8 and comes in at four, however there's very little grass in the fields and we're not allowed to feed hay outside so if I could I'd bring him in earlier! My pony goes out at 8 and comes in by 230 at the latest, not as long but it means the fields aren't muddy and theres lots for him to eat. It's a compromise I think really between getting enough turnout and keeping the fields intact.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Agree. I have an unlit track to walk to and from the fields. With no road lights either it is literally pitch black with no moon and with only a generator giving low lighting in the stables, I don't hang around. Plus its creepy being up there. Especially if no one else about

Yes good point. When mine were in the field I had to get them in from a single track lane that was busy from school run time to 6pm, so I would bring them onto the hardstanding at 3pm to avoid being on the lane in dim light when there was traffic..

Polos Mum

Visit site
Now they are in for winter mine are out 12 hours ish, out 8am and in 8.30/9pm. I have no lights at all on the track or stables (on the to do list) so a head torch works perfectly for me. Of 4 (which I bring in together) 1 is waiting at that time, 1 will come to the gate if I call the other two I have to wonder round until I bump into.
I do all the stables in the day inc hays and water, put my kids to bed, have dinner then go and get the boys almost last thing. I find their stables really tidy compared to getting them in at 5pm (which also totally clashes with child feeding time!)

They are normally pretty good but my neighbours VERY loud burgalar alarm a week ago did cause some entertainment!

Arizahn

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 with plenty of natural shelter, but it's so rare for yards to be able to offer that.

I was doing an after dark field check and couldn't find either of mine, even with a torch. You know that moment when you can feel the horse watching you but not spot where it is? They did eventually reveal themselves by detaching from the shadows immediately behind me...flipping ninja horses!

Spring Feather

Visit site
OP, honestly, if you're unhappy with the situation as it stands right now then change it. Either move to another field/yard or pay a groom to come and do your horse at the times you specify.

All my horses live out 24/7/365 but when I have/had horses who come in overnight then I generally turn them out at first light in winter (around 6am-7am) and they come in around 3pm. It doesn't actually get dark here until 5-6pm in winter however 3pm suits me so that's when they come in.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Before we moved here (I now keep mine at home and can do what the hell I like), I kept my old lad on a DIY yard run by a dragon lady. In winter, we had a strictly allocated 1 hour daily turnout slot.

The horses were always relaxed and happy. 1 hour, on really good mud free grazing, was a hell of a lot better than zero turnout, which was all that many other local yards offered.

Bringing in at 2.30pm sounds ok to me, at this time of year. I've never had to bring in when its pitch black, I'm lucky in that my stables and field shelters have very good exterior lighting which spills over to the gateways, so that I can see what I'm doing.

milesjess

Visit site
Thanks :) The main reason for my post was because I knew the responses would reassure me that the amount of time he has out isn't actually that bad and I'd just over reacted. So I'm much happier now and realise that it isn't that bad at all now so thank you all for that.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
At this time of year, any turnout is good! I generally turn mine out about 7.30am and I either go up at lunchtime to get them in which is any time between 12noon and 2pm, or a friend will get them in just after 3pm. They have plenty of grass, but the TB doesn't like wind and rain so rather than galloping round churning the ground up even more than it is or injuring themselves farting about in the mud, I try to prevent it by bringing them in when they are ready.

milesjess

Visit site
Yeah I understand. My TB is well rugged up, so on good days I do like him out as long as possible but on the colder days he is fine with less time as he feels the cold.

Hoping to just swap onto a field with more grass but keep him with same horse. Some days he'll get 5 hours and others he will have 7 hours so I shouldn't complain really in hindsight.

eggs

Visit site
Mine go out at about7.30 and generally come in at about 4. I got into the habit of getting them in before it got dark as one of the horses used to get very stressed if he was not caught in before it got dark.

Whoopit

Visit site
In summer 24/7 fro
Around May to September (they dictate to me when they want to come in at night) and in winter they are out from 7:15am and I catch in around 7pm but this is due to hours of work and it's my own yard with just me to help me!

I have two paddocks but one I try to "save" to ride in as the so called ménage is just a watery bog so they have a HUUGE box of hay in there for the day (around 48lbs or 20kg ish).

They do stay in though about three days a week just dos they like to 😊

Echo24

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7 in the summer but around 9 hours in winter. I sometimes bring in when it's dark if I don't get away from work early enough. He has been good to come in though, even when fireworks were going off! I have been on a yard where horses HAD to be out by 8:30am and brought in by 1pm in winter. Most of the horses seem to cope with with but for me I prefer as much turnout as possible, especially in winter.

Evie91

Visit site
Milesjess - it has to be whatever works for your horse - regardless of other people. Many years ago, before I owned my own horse I always thought if I had my own land, my horse would live out with a shelter - be able to choose when they come in and go out.
My horse certainly changed my opinion of this being the 'best' way of keeping horses. My horse hates the rain and dark. She likes a few hours out - will eat a bit , have a roll, then stand around waiting to come in. She loves her stable. She's at home now so I could keep her out with a field shelter but she'd hate it!!!!
If your horse is happy coming in at half two then don't stress not all horses like hours and hours of turnout in all weather!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Mine's out 24/7 apart from when I take pity on him in really terrible weather!
Field is holding up quite well - very little mud overall and there's plenty of hay to eat as well as random veggies dotted about - so he seems to love being out.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Mine go out at 7:30am (sometimes a little later on weekends!) And come in just before it gets pitch black! So around 4:30 at the mo, but that varies- if im riding they will come in earlier, if im busy they will come in later. No strict times/routine (except in the morning as I do them on way to work!), which keeps them from getting upset if I'm 5 mins late! I do try and keep them out for as long as possible though.

keepitugly

Visit site
Ours are out 24/7 as much as possible usually from March until November depending how wet the fields are. At the moment they go out from 8am until 2/3pm most days, some days just the mornings, very occasionally not at all but on these days I have them out of the box as much as possible hand grazing, in the arena and worked. I would prefer them out all the time but there just isn't the grazing around here with the facilities I want so it's a compromise I'm willing to make for a few months of the year. To be honest I don't know any livery yards in this area that don't have very restricted winter turnout.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
When you have a yard full of horses to turnout and bring in single handedly, and some of them can be excitable in the wind, then some of us prefer not to add darkness to the risks. I can't afford to get hurt. If a horse gets away from me, it will be very hard to see and therefore catch in the dark. If I was only dealing with my own horse and he or she was very well behaved in all weather conditions, and in the dark, and the route to the field was lit well enough, then I would consider it. But turning out in the dark would be reckless IMO in my situation.

I think you're right to do whatever feels safe for you. If I'm dealing with a horse that is unpredictable, I minimise the risk for both our sakes. I was just curious as to why those that mentioned it, avoid bringing in or turning out in the dark. I'd never really given it a second thought.