Turnout - How Much Do People Charge?

chocolategirl

Visit site
I guess it depends on a couple of things. I charge £1 just to turnout on my DIY yard but I have 'care, custody and control' insurance which covers me for any accidents included in that price. If it's a freelance mobile groom coming to your place to turnout for you, then travel expenses may need to be taken into account also? I think mine is too cheap TBH considering the responsibility involved of handling somebody else's horse, but if I made it too expensive, for some who live locally, it probably would be cheaper for them to come and do it themselves.

CBAnglo

Visit site
I think it depends; if field close and there is hard core walkway/no mud then £1 seems ok (provided already on yard). If it's a 10 mins slog through mud then I think £2.50 at least.

I doubt you would be able to get anyone to travel to you 3 times a week to just turnout so I imagine this is a fellow livery. I used to pay £1 a day to turnout mine but she needed another to go out with hers so she changed rugs etc for that price as well.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The yard manager charges £1.50 for turn out/bring in. She also changes rugs, puts boots on/off and picks feet out for this.

I don't think you can generalise with turnout/ bring in because at some yards the paddocks are adjacent to the stable. At other yards you may have to walk the horses quite a distance. I think it depends on the time it takes, then divide into an hourly rate & then you can come up with a price.

For most yards charging £1 for turn out are actually working at less than the minimum wage, grooms were charging £1 turnout years ago. Many horse owners want something for nothing & somehow expect grooms/YM's to work for the love of it & don't want to pay correct amounts for jobs done. Picking feet out, changing rugs, puting on boots & then turning out takes more than £1-£1.50 of anyones time!

Grinchmass

Visit site
I don't think you can generalise with turnout/ bring in because at some yards the paddocks are adjacent to the stable. At other yards you may have to walk the horses quite a distance. I think it depends on the time it takes, then divide into an hourly rate & then you can come up with a price.

For most yards charging £1 for turn out are actually working at less than the minimum wage, grooms were charging £1 turnout years ago. Many horse owners want something for nothing & somehow expect grooms/YM's to work for the love of it & don't want to pay correct amounts for jobs done. Picking feet out, changing rugs, puting on boots & then turning out takes more than £1-£1.50 of anyones time!

I'm not generalising, or expecting something for nothing, this is just what our yard manager charges. If she charged more, I'd happily pay it.

saddlesore

Visit site
I'd expect to pay £1 for turnout tbh, but then my horse doesn't get anything done apart from taken to the field, not changing rugs or anything. My yard don't charge however.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Yard I'm at charges £4 which includes rug changes, picking out feet and washing legs off as and when needed and putting on/taking off boots if required. It is quite a trek to the field though.

{97702}

Visit site
How much would you expect to pay someone to turnout your horse three days a week? Just taking from stable to field, no changing rugs or anything just simply turning out?

Thanks in advance. :)

Sorry I just had to point and laugh - you are back on the Dark Side :D :D :D

Actually I feel quite guilty about that :p

I used to pay £1 I seem to remember but that was a few years ago

Geraldine

Visit site
Lévrier;12812723 said:
Sorry I just had to point and laugh - you are back on the Dark Side :D :D :D

Actually I feel quite guilty about that :p

I used to pay £1 I seem to remember but that was a few years ago

Yes, here I am - thanks to you!!!

Three of us are in a rota for morning turnout but the other two ladies go up early doors before work. This was never an issue as The Boy was turned out with one of their horses (3rd one is in a different field). However, field buddy is on long term box rest and The Boy does not do 'alone in the field'. So three days a week another livery has been kindly chucking him out about 9am, but I feel that I should be paying her for doing this - just didn't know what to pay. It's literally walk through the yard, through the car park and there's the gate.

Geraldine

Visit site
I was going to offer £5 for the three days. I have known her for 8 years now and she has become a good friend.

She's also having a tough time with bullies targeting her son so she's getting a bunch of flowers and a bottle of vino in the morning (from The Boy so she can't refuse them).