Turnout in a Dually headcollar - would you?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Took dog for a longer walk today and went past a private house where the daughter goes eventing, 3 horses turned out together in one field, and one in the adjoining field by itself in a Dually headcollar. The fencing was a mix of post and rail and hedge, so there was nothing too obvious that it could get caught on, but I would be very wary - no, in fact, I would NEVER turn out a horse in a Dually headcollar.

I guess the horse is a bit of a pain to catch/lead in, but I cringe about what could happen.

SusieT

Visit site
nope but it's possible they had a problem that led to it e;g it wsa being a prat and easiest thing was to shove in field and unclip rope!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, I guess that too. He was being VERY nosey and looked like he would like to push through the hedge to get a closer look at us!

Tern

Visit site
nope but it's possible they had a problem that led to it e;g it wsa being a prat and easiest thing was to shove in field and unclip rope!

Put a chifney on it then - take chifney off and horse can just go. If horse starts to pull with it still stuck in its mouth you let go - it will come out!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Very risky. I wouldn't do but maybe the horse bogged off with it on and they couldn't catch it.
Hopefully, it's not a routine thing for them.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Maybe it was not intended to be left on...! I had to invest in a field safe headcolar for sasha as she is a pain to catch without a bucket, but if she sees a headcolar even if you have tasty food she won't come near at all, but once we led her to field with normal head collar on top , and before I had chance to take it off she was away!!! Took us 3 days to catch her!!!

Luci07

Visit site
You don't know the circumstances. It could well have b**gered off when being turned out and then refused to be caught! Friends horse is led out in a be nice and a chiffney and we have STILL lost him. I can tell you from the bottom of my heart we so wanted to leave him there....took 20 minutes, 3 people and a large bucket of nuts before we could retrieve him.

BSL

Visit site
Field safe only, with horses, if it can go wrong it will, if something can get caught, good chance it will:(

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
seems like a big risk ... would worry me to death. I don't turn out in headcollars - won't even leave them on in the stable after seeing a horse get one hooked over the bolt on the door, but if I did have to it would have to be a field safe one. Would certainly never risk it in a dually. Can only imagine horse got away from owner somehow before she got the headcollar off ..

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
Never, if it got caught the results would be horrific. If they need a dually to lead it they should just thread the rope through a normal head collar'so rings. Does exactly the same thing