Turnout poultice boots? (crossing fingers that it IS actually an abscess)

ponyparty

Visit site
I've had a panicked call from my friend I share a yard with, she was going to exercise my horse today as I can't get up there, but when she brought him out of his stable he was extremely lame. He was treated on Friday for lymphangitis in his near hind, seemed to be responding well to treatment. Then today he's... not hopping, but very lame. He hasn't eaten his breakfast today (with bute and antibiotics in it, so not helping himself!) and has only picked at his haylage (unheard of!). He's now lying down in his stable. Vet is on the way but I'm stuck at home ill, and waiting for a carpet fitter to arrive. Can't leave the house until either carpet fitter or OH arrives. My friend is waiting for the vet for me, bless her, don't know what I'd do without her.

Vet thinks abscess, there's no heat in the hoof though... but then there isn't always. Last time vet thought he had an abscess (other hind leg) it turned out to be a stifle issue; but from the video my friend sent, apparently it doesn't look like that this time.

Hope to god it is an abscess and can be easily cleared up. Any recommendations for turnout boots, if it is an abscess? I've seen Shires and Woof Wear ones but they have mixed reviews. He's a fine TB type, if that makes a difference.

ponyparty

Visit site
Ooh. Good idea. I have some cavallos from last barefoot attempt, they were for fronts though and this is a hind... probably won't fit, worth a try though as won't be able to get poultice boot today!

Shoes still on by the way... got talked into it by new farrier. Seriously thinking of turning away on track livery at the moment though as I just haven't got time to get him fit now that I'm back at work :(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Try :) the tape wasn't totally amazing so I did line with a rubble sack for a bit as was very wet when I needed it.

eggs

Visit site
If one of mine has an abscess and I want to turn them out (which I do) I put the poultice on, vet wrap, nappy (or Gamgee will also do), duck tape all round.