Turnout rug for Thoroughbred

tobiano1984

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a brand of turnout (combo/full neck) that suits small TBs? I've got a 16hh lightweight one - he's quite normal in the body but narrow chested (as is still only 3) and has a short, skinny neck. Wow I make him sound handsome!

He arrived mid-winter and borrowed rugs from my cobby types, needless to say they didn't fit - particularly the chest which had to be on the tightest hole and the necks always slid down his neck. They are just Axiom rugs, cheap but hardy and great for my others, but needless to say the TB needs something else... I'm really not keen to spend £100s on a turnout as he's out with other youngsters and I think they play a game of 'guess the most expensive rug and then shred it'. I like the idea of the cocoon necks like the Premier Equine ones, as they must stop it sliding down, but not for £289.

Any recommendations? Happy to spend a bit but just not hundreds and hundreds!

VickyP

Visit site
I like Horseware Amigos. My TB is 16hh on a good day and the fit him well because they aren't massively deep. Shiny poly lining means they don't rub and they don't break the bank.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I've been using Rhinegold turnouts for my baby horse - cheap and cheerful, not sure how long they would last an adult but she outgrows them before they wear out! Nice fit around her teeny neck and shoulders!

Tim's Girl

Visit site
My tb has amigo and weatherbeeta rugs. Did have an axiom turnout but kept sliding. I also have an old derby house combo thats a good fit. Shires do a 400g combo with cocoon neck. Got one last year. There are usually good 2nd hand ones about. Id avoid rhinegold and allpros as these are deep in the chest my boy is narrow shouldered round chest so they end up slipping down and rubbing.

FireFly29

Visit site
I really rate Mark Todd rugs.
The necks have an extra bit at the withers so the neck fits right up to their ears, even when they have their head down grazing.
Weatherbeeta rugs are also good.

MissMoo

Visit site
Amigos, Fal and Weatherbeeta suit my TB mare, I did have a Mark Todd rug for her which was a terrible fit for her, shame as I really liked it!

rising_promise

Visit site
I've just completely spoilt my mare (or is that spoilt myself...?!) and bought the no fill, 100grm and 200grm (all with necks) Premier Equine rugs. Got the no fill first and found them such quality rugs nothing else matched up! She's a 15.2 TB.

I have had these in the past though http://s258781596.e-shop.info/
Really nice rugs, good quality and fit and extremely good value for money