Turnout rugs for a static pony?!

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Possibly the oddest question I will ever ask on HHO, but P seems to be such a static pony.

He's had such bad shocks from his turn out rugs in particular, that it's becoming a real issue. I've worked out his Thermatex & cotton waffle cooler are fine, but had to get rid of other stable rugs & he's currently going out in the field naked, but I'm worried about heavy rain.

I've tried different makes - Amigo, Shires & Masta and they all give him shocks. I don't pull them off him either, I try to fold back tiny sections at a time & then lift them off with minimal movement.

I suspect I will have the same problem with most turn out rugs due to man made material, but I thought it was worth an ask to see if anyone else had this problem & if they'd found a particular brand that wasn't so bad?

Lintel

Visit site
Can't say I've had a problem but alot of the nylon lines rugs although very good for the mane and coat are more staticy- I have super static hair and when taking them out the bag i seem to get shocked or my hair takes off! I'd imagine using something like rhinegold most of which are cotton lined wouldn't be as static, I'd stay away from cheap fleece and nylon lined turnouts like shires weatherbeeta sorry can't help much more!!

Splashy pony

Visit site
Yes but why is the pony so static? It could be a very dry coat or the type of floor. Is he barefoot? Perhaps you could use a grooming spray on his coat or try discharging the static by touching a metal part of his rug to the metal grill of the stable. Sorry physics teacher on Xmas hols......

leggs

Visit site
LOL I hate to break this to you but it't not your horse that is static, but you! Unless you keep your horse on plastic boots or something, your horse is Always grounded. You need to take a look at (mainly) your own shoes. If you wear something with a leather sole or workboots that are antistatic, your problems will be over :)

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I wasn't sure how it worked?! I don't have this problem with other horses, so assumed it was P! My grip of physics isn't great though ...

I always wear leather country boots when changing rugs & have stayed away from fleece jumpers/jackets too, P is barefoot, wears a leather headcollar and cotton leadrope & is bedded on shavings - but I change his rugs outside so he's on concrete.

I've tried touching metal, wood, concrete before P & the rugs & have even tried touching something during the process & nothing seems to work?!

That canvas rug looks like it might be worth a try though - I'll email the manufacturers to see how waterproof it is.

Any more ideas, gratefully recieved :)

Boulty

Visit site
Hmmm thinking about it I've got an old (about 10yrs I think?) Saxon t/o that's cotton lined, don't know if something like this may be of use as cotton shouldn't be as staticy as nylon. Not sure if saxons are still lined with that but may be worth seeing if there are any makes out there using wool or cotton to line still

NativePonyLover

Visit site
My friend thinks cheaper end rugs like Rhinegold are cotton lined too - so I might email them to see.

Thankfully, he is a native & although it's the first year he's been clipped, it was only an Irish clip so he still has a thick coat on his bum & back. He's never looked slimmer actually, so that's another plus. I just feel mean & do worry what I'd do in heavy rain!

leggs

Visit site
I've tried touching metal, wood, concrete before P & the rugs & have even tried touching something during the process & nothing seems to work?!
This will not work if the metal is not in contact with the earth, like touching a car that is on rubber tires....will not work.. Wood does not conduct well unless it is wet.

If leather soles don't work then there will probably be a rubbery liner in them somewhere for strength or something :)

Movement and dry air loads you up, especially if you wear synthetic clothes, to discharge touch your hand on the ground, that should work. It also has to do with atoms with electrons and protons around it....if you have a look on wikepedia "static electricity" it should become clear.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
AFAIK, Rhinegold. Gallop, Loveson are cotton lined turnouts.

I actually prefer the older Shires and WB that were cotton lined, they felt like proper duvets, rather than these modern day synthetic nylon ones that don't seem as warm.