Turnout rugs for dressage horse?

rowy

Visit site
My boy is starting to get more neck muscle and topline now and so his neck rugs are starting to rub his mane out :( looking for a medium/ heavy weight for next winter.
Mark todd rugs are out and so are weatherbeeta. So what other makes would be good? some say premier equine?

ThePony

Visit site
swish are smashing, got some lovely ones from them. Sign up to their newsletter, they often have really good offers on.

Bethie

Visit site
I've just bought a Premier Equine, only been on 2 weeks but so far so good! Horse didn't fit anything else I could get hold of to try round the neck. I had to go up a size on the neck cover too, so for his rug size they would normally sell a medium neck cover but he needed a large for the depth.

WandaMare

Visit site
I also recommend Premier Equine, and GFS are good for chunky shoulder and neck types, the front is adjustable so you can get a good fit without any rubbing.

I only put mine in a neck cover on very wet days now, I haven't been able to find any that don't rub the manes. I let their manes grow longer over winter and leave the rest to nature!

MiCsarah

Visit site
Im not a fan of premier equine at the moment for their awful lack of customer service!! If you are unhappy with your rug in anyway they dont seem to want to take any notice.

trendybraincell

Visit site
I know a lot of people say PE are cut on the generous side but mine rubbed shadows mane in no time at all, and this is a cresty welsh D!!! I went back to weatherbeetas and have no problems at all :)

TigerTail

Visit site
Rambo Optimo's for the win :D Interchangeable liners so change the weight as necessary. They fit very differently to normal rugs, look loose because of the massive shoulder dart but this is what stops them rubbing.

Dont bother with necks, as long as the horses back and loins are warm and dry they wont be cold ;)

mjcssjw2

Visit site
I am going to try a rambo 1/4horse rug. coz I am sick of them being to tight as well, but GFS fit nicely.

Bethie

Visit site
Dont bother with necks, as long as the horses back and loins are warm and dry they wont be cold ;)

Who's bothered about cold? I just want to stop mine from having so much thick wet clay on him that I can't put tack over it! It causes great amusement on the yard that he throws himself in the mud when he sees me coming every single b****y day. Doesn't bother when its dry, too b****y clever that animal. :D

bigboyrocky

Visit site
JHL for sure :) this is my TO rug -
253882149a3912454758b551144710l.jpg
note the huge neck!