Turnout rugs for huge ISH

Visit site
I have 2 three year old Irish Sports horses, both 17hh plus, long legs, deep, and big chested with large necks. I'm looking for 100g and 200g turnout rug recommendations please? I love weatherbeeta but they are not deep enough, do not fit well around their necks and around the chest, they ride up.
PE? RAMBO? Horseware XL? Bucas Big neck?
Has to be tough denier too.
I'm lost...?
Thank you very much. ?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've just got a Rambo Optimo for my mammoth (pictures in the link above!). It's a really lovely fit on her, the best I've found. I had Ruggles Heavy Horse rugs before but they didn't last, one of them wasn't even a year old before it was leaking. And that was a 200g. The Ruggles HH rugs are less expensive and a nice fit too but I can't recommend them in good conscience because of the longevity issue. However... if your horses are 3 years old you might not want to spend Optimo money yet. My mare was a 6ft6 Shires when we got her as a 4 year old... now she's a 6ft9 Optimo! So there's growing to be done yet.

My mare also has a Swish rug that is less like a miniskirt than some others are and I really liked it at first. But I'm not convinced by the leg strap placement and it was blowing right up at the back when she was bum to the wind.

If your horses were fully grown I'd say Optimo, no question. But I'd consider Swish or Ruggles Heavy Horse for shorter term options. Mark Todd rugs are also quite generous. As are Shires Highlander. But might not be quite generous enough. I found PE ok at first but I think they changed their cut as I have two liners I bought that won't even do up round her neck, whereas the old liner I had still fitted fine.

Annagain

Visit site
I have big IDs too and the only rugs I've found that are deep enough on them are Premier Equine, all the others look like mini skirts. Gallop are the next best as long as they have the slots for the surcingles to go through, the ones with without seem to be shorter.

jnb

Visit site
I have the same issue with the Weatherbeetas with the buckle fastening, (Classic and Essential / Genero range)
The Confitec Dynamic Plus Weatherbeetas fit my HW cob really well or PE however PE gape at the chest as they have that stupid little velcro strip which is a waste of time, I wish they would overlap them like the WB.
Pic of huge chested and necked cob...in his Weatherbeeta Comfitec Dynamic Plus combo (220g)

Attachments

• F3FC270C-EEA8-43F2-8C91-472610946514.jpeg
    F3FC270C-EEA8-43F2-8C91-472610946514.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 3
Visit site
Thank you so much for all of your really useful replies. Looking at the findings presented, I am leaning towards a 7'3" PE Buster for the very very big lad, and a Weatherbeeta Comfitec Dynamic Plus for the slightly less leggy boy, as he tends to come in with the odd rug rip, and I believe the Weatherbeeta in question is pretty tough denier.
I am going to have a chat with Ruggles, they may be able to help me out with the other 100g rugs.
Many thanks again, really helpful!!! x

Starzaan

Visit site
Weatherbeeta have two cuts - one featured more heavily in the Classic, Essential and Plus Dynamic ranges, then the other in the Premier and Ultra ranges.
You need the larger cut which is the Freedom System - have a look at the Ultra Cozi or the Premier Free to see the difference. More forward shoulder gussets and a different seam cut - perfect for big horses. Mine is a chunky ISH that is definitely more ID than TB, and these fit him perfectly.

Visit site
Weatherbeeta have two cuts - one featured more heavily in the Classic, Essential and Plus Dynamic ranges, then the other in the Premier and Ultra ranges.
You need the larger cut which is the Freedom System - have a look at the Ultra Cozi or the Premier Free to see the difference. More forward shoulder gussets and a different seam cut - perfect for big horses. Mine is a chunky ISH that is definitely more ID than TB, and these fit him perfectly.
Thank you - I have just recently noticed the Freedom range - more expensive but in fairness if I'm thinking about paying PE prices I may as well check WB Freedom out! Good shout! Thanks

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Another vote for Premier Equine. Decent sized necks and very deep in the body. I am a huge fan of rugs with detachable liners. Just be aware if ordering a PE that the sizing is very generous so you may need a size smaller than other brands.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have the same problem with my large ISH. Optimos fit well, but are expensive, but the Amigo XL range is a perfect fit, although the Rhino and Rambo m/w and h/w rugs are ok, the l/w is just too tight.
Bucas big necks are sadly not big enough. Ruggles do fit well, but don't match Horseware for qualiIty, but are fine as an emergency spare rug.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have 2 three year old Irish Sports horses, both 17hh plus, long legs, deep, and big chested with large necks. I'm looking for 100g and 200g turnout rug recommendations please? I love weatherbeeta but they are not deep enough, do not fit well around their necks and around the chest, they ride up.
PE? RAMBO? Horseware XL? Bucas Big neck?
Has to be tough denier too.
I'm lost...?
Thank you very much. ?
Personally I like the Original Fal and Gallop rugs

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
PE will fit but ive not been too impressed with the gaping around the neck with my recent purchase for the new RID. Depth and length great but he came in wet down his shoulders the other day where the rain was getting in. I've not had this before! It came with a neck so when its horrendous (cold, wet and he isnt stabled) i will stick the neck on which will help but im generally not one for necks, even in the depths of winter!

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
I’ve got a 19hh monster WB x that takes 7’6” rugs which need to be extra wide in the chest and have an extra long drop. I’ve got for winter turnouts: a Rambo Optima, a few from Swish Equestrian and a couple from the Big Horse Shop. All bar one are now in their 6th/7th season and apart from replacing a belly strap on one and a chest strap on another that popped due to a neighbouring horse chewing it they’re all lasted well to date. The Rambo Optima has lasted the best, the Swish Equestrian have been the best bargain buys and the Big Horse shop ones have afforded the most chest width and drop. My only problem was the Swish ones, although the rug fitted well, the belly straps were not quite long enough so I had to add extra length to the strapping to fit my boy.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Thank you so much for all of your really useful replies. Looking at the findings presented, I am leaning towards a 7'3" PE Buster for the very very big lad, and a Weatherbeeta Comfitec Dynamic Plus for the slightly less leggy boy, as he tends to come in with the odd rug rip, and I believe the Weatherbeeta in question is pretty tough denier.
I am going to have a chat with Ruggles, they may be able to help me out with the other 100g rugs.
Many thanks again, really helpful!!! x

The Big Horse Shop.

They are created for big horses.
Ruggles and Swish all moved on my big boy. But these do not.

Visit site
Thanks again everyone for your help; really useful. I've gone for the Premier Equine Buster for my biggest boy and I am very pleased with the fit albeit a bit on the long side at the moment, but he's still very young so there's room for further growth and furnishing.. Ordered the Weatherbeeta Comfitec Free for my other boy, that's on its way. x

Surbie

Visit site
I had Ruggles Heavy Horse rugs before but they didn't last, one of them wasn't even a year old before it was leaking. And that was a 200g. The Ruggles HH rugs are less expensive and a nice fit too but I can't recommend them in good conscience because of the longevity issue.

Just to echo this - I have a Ruggles no fill I bought this year for my cob and can't use it cos it leaks all over the back and bum. Very disappointed in it.