Turnout rugs in the stable?

muddybay

Visit site
I have used my turnout rugs inside my horses stable we only have 1 stable rug that was given to us as it didn't fit a horse and I was just wondering if there's anything wrong with using his 200g turnout in his stable?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I often leave mine on in the stable I don't think it does any harm especially when you get up at 5am to turnout and go back to bed afterwards, it's hassle changing them everyday although I have left mine naked most nights if they are in as the clips have grown out now so they get hot.

muddybay

Visit site
I obviously take them off him to check him over ect after the field I have a 100g stable given to me but it's been so cold and he's such a bad doer I loathe taking off his 200g at night. This is my first year owning him so I decided to invest properly in some decent turnouts!

Michen

Visit site
Mine are in turnouts most of the time. They are only in stable rugs if naked during day but rugged at night or if they are being ridden the next morning having been ridden that evening, so rug coming off for tack anyway.

Annagain

Visit site
Charlie’s in a turnout all the time. I rearrange it every night and check pressure points by rubbing them over to check for sensitivity when he comes in. It gets taken off to ride 3-4 nights a week but if I don’t ride for a day or two I take it off completely at least every other day. Part of the reason I’ve left Arch naked this winter is so I don’t have to rearrange two every night and take his rug off every other day, especially as he’s changing shape with not being ridden so it’s more likely to rub.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I don’t take off turnout rugs unless they are in for a few days, mine live in turnouts all winter, they come off for working and if they are having a run round the outdoor arena when dry or indoor.

AFB

Visit site
I leave in TO's as someone else turns out for me in the morning and I want to make their life as easy as possible.

Plus unless you have enough TO's to leave them to dry fully (which can take days), I hate putting a cold wet rug back on.

Squeak

Visit site
I leave in turnouts. I swapped to stable rugs the other day when they were stuck in for a couple of day and I couldn't believe the smell of them compared to the turnouts.

I think it was different when turnouts weren't as light and breathable as they are now.

AFB

Visit site
I leave in turnouts. I swapped to stable rugs the other day when they were stuck in for a couple of day and I couldn't believe the smell of them compared to the turnouts.

I think it was different when turnouts weren't as light and breathable as they are now.

Yes that's another thing I hated about using stable rugs, as soon as they lie down they absorb all the bad smells from the bed.

catkin

Visit site
I have found that the shape of the turnouts seem to fit my ponies better than stable rugs of the same makes (my ponies suit shoulder gussets which are easier to find on turnouts), so older turnout rugs are washed to soften them, back-end straps replaced with fillet strings and then repurposed to stable rugs. These ponies don't need very heavy weights of rugs and they very very rarely need neck covers so the rugs are fairly easy to handle and to wear.
I like to check the ponies under rugs every day so no problem to swap out rugs if needed.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Another turnout rug fan in the stables. Much better with messy horses as well. I only use stable rugs now if stabling away. Used this system for over 10 years now and never had any issues.

Mrs B

Visit site
Another who leaves on if they're wet - best drying rack in the world! I do change it over at night simply because I don't like to wash turnouts unless I have to as they're never quite as waterproof again.

A rug mender told me that urine doesn't do the fabric, waterproofing and stitches much good in the long run ... (and yes, I do take out all the wet out every day but he does looove to lie in the pee-patch ... :rolleyes:)

Winters100

Visit site
For sure it won't hurt and many people do it, but do take it off at least once a day to check the horse.

My personal preference is for them to have stable rugs at night, I believe them to be lighter and more comfortable, plus if they lie in pee they can be washed easily. In general I buy inexpensive stable rugs and good quality turnouts, but I wash the turnouts very infrequently, and even then generally by hand with very little detergent. I use a tin bath and do them in the garden in summer.

Won't hurt the horse to sleep in a turnout, but it is never my preference.

WelshD

Visit site
I’ll leave them on if wet but will change them where I can.

I much prefer stable rugs. I wash them every 4 wears so everything stays nice and clean.
I have different ones for use under turnouts.
I literally see turnout rugs as macs that keep them dry outside and cover their actual rugs if that makes sense.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I will leave a horse standing in its turnout for maybe a couple of hours, but any longer I change to a stable rug.

Turnout rugs used solely for turnout don’t whiff, but once they’ve got urine and muck caked on them they do. I’ll pop any of my stable rugs in the washing machine to clean them if they need it, but I don’t like to wash turnouts more than once a season.

whizzer

Visit site
I do, I work late most week nights & rely on a friend to bring in so it’s easier if she can stay in turnout rug,the rug dries if it’s wet & it saves me time in the mornings. But I change around with liners & different rugs to avoid pressure points. The nights I do she does get changed into stable rug but I put a light turnout over the top as,despite large stable & thick bedding, she loves to snuggle down lying in poo which then soaks through her stable rug.

tatty_v

Visit site

me too, my horse has two turnouts of each weight, one for the stable (standard neck) and one for actual turnout (combo). He’s a messy grey so this way he stays clean and the turnout rugs don’t absorb the smell as much. They get laundered once a year and then stored until next winter. Works a treat!

Visit site
Mine live in their turnouts. I think they are warmer too tbh. I occasionally swap to a stable rug but I find leaving in turnouts saves time and also makes sure they dry out properly from body heat.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am old fashioned and have stable rugs that are cheap and get washed regularly, and turnout rugs that are expensive and waterproof and don't get washed.

I want to fully inspect the horse twice a day anyway. There was an awful thread on here where someone left a rug on for a few days and the horse almost died of the resultant infection. Also, a breathable turnout isn't as breathable as a stable rug. Rubbed manes often seem to be on horses who either wear neck rugs, or turnouts 24/7.

I can't bear my lovely turnouts going into the stable in any case; once they are soaked in pee and poo they are kind of ruined. Once washed with detergent, the waterproof layer is ruined and re-proofing doesn't last long and also affects the breathability. Whereas the stable rugs can go in the washer up to 300g (have a big washer for this purpose) relatively frequently and come out like new. I made the mistake of buying my last horse an expensive Rambo stable rug (in the sale). Waste of money, no better than a cheaper one. Just sold it on eBay secondhand for £75, bought a brand new Masta one for under £40 delivered.

Turnout rugs are well worth spending extra for, have had Rambo, currently in Rhino. Have had them still waterproof at almost 20 years old. If wet, they are hung to drip dry outside under cover until 8pm, then brought into the house to finish drying. Because they only ever go on a fully groomed horse and never into the stable, they really don't seem to bring much smell with them. If they get really muddy I have been known to hose them off whilst still on the horse. The Rambos and Rhinos dry overnight easily.

D

Deleted member 150717

I leave my horse in his turnout rug as I feel he has been heating it up all night and got warm and in the morning just to take if off to put a cold one on but he gets a thorough groom every night to make sure he is okay and he has no rubs so he does get some time without a rug on!!

SOS

Visit site
I like to change them at night into a stable rug so you can layer accordingly and again so they have different pressure points and the turnout doesn’t get covered in smelly urine. I wash my stable rugs regularly but don’t find they actually get too dirty (my horses are in a huge stable and regularly lie down but tend to avoid the soiled parts). I also like to have a thin cotton sheet under my stable rugs. This can be washed much more frequently (atleast once a week) and I have two for when one is in the wash. This ensures the part touching the horse is kept clean, which again avoids rubs.

I find I’m quite different to others as I’d rather buy my rugs in a light weight/medium weight and layer them than have heavy weights as I rarely find it’s cold enough. With turnouts I try to only use one rug as there’s more risk of slipping etc. So a turnout is normally too heavy for my horses to stand in at night in (most yards have been barn type stabling and quite warm).

Whenever I have groomed I always changed rugs. Even as sole groom for eight hunters I would change all of their rugs morning and evening. Bring in, into cross tie wash box, wash off legs and dry and talc, undo tails if plaited up, pick feet, quick brush over, into stable and new rugs on. Took about 5 mins a horse.

Best tip? If you layer rugs then take them off one at a time and lay each one over the door/rail. That way in the evening you can put them all back on in order.