Turnout ... what would you do??

ernikins

Visit site
My young horse is currently turned out at night and comes in during the day - mainly due to the fact that it is the best way to get maximum turnout at my yard. My problem is that when he starts coming in at night and out during the day the turnout is limited as geldings go out seperately, so last year he was on a rota - went out in the morning until 12 and then was in - he was ok with it - had to make sure he got plenty of exercise but didn't seem to send him loopy or anything.

We tried my gelding out with another gelding and they absolutely love eachother and get on really well apart from the fact that they play together and the other horse won't stand up for himself so my horse bites him - not in a nasty way but was marking him - we split them up again for summer as there was enough turnout but now he either goes back on the half day rota or goes out with the other gelding and gets to have the whole day out. I know this is long winded - but there is a point to it!

I would rather have my horse out for as long as possible, and wondered whether there is anything I can do to stop my horse from biting the other horse - or would you all rather have your horse out for only half a day. He is only 5 so I think it is a baby phase - he always used to go out with others and was at the bottom of the pecking order!!! Can you get anything to prevent biting but allow grazing??

Tempi

Visit site
a grazing muzzle!! he wont be able to bite the others then
smile.gif

ernikins

Visit site
I had thought of that - but have never used them and wondered whether others would consider that as an option? Do you know of a good one that will stay on and not rub??

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I wouldn't advise a grazing muzzle as they are for restriction of grazing - and presumably you don't have a weight issue. I also bought one for my horse (fatty) and it rubbed her pretty badly.

Baby's do like to play, and it can be a pain the backside sometimes - but really unless someone is getting damaged I wouldn't worry about it - and just allow your boy to have the maximum amount of turnout available.

the watcher

Visit site
I think you need to consult with the owner of the other gelding..they might have a view on this! Can you split the paddock with electric tape so they are both out, but not playing together?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
geez, B bites all the other geldings..he hangs off their necks! He's only 4 though, so I just put it down to babyish bahaviour.Yes he does mark them, but he gets it done back and YO doesnt seem to mind. Unless the other owner has a problem with it I don't see the point in restricting turnout. he needs contact with other horses, as all youngsters do, and to turn him out alone is a bit unfair.

SillyMare

Visit site
Merry does that too - he is 5 but had a bit of a mixed up childhood as he was on a racing yard and stabled 23 hours a day for much of it. He is still very colt-like and quite immature in the way he interacts with other horses.

Owner of the other horse isn't too worried (marks have never been bad although he does occasionally break the skin) and Merry definitely collects more scrapes than he inflicts. I am hoping he grows out of it!

My view is that horses are horses - they need company, it is natural to them. Mine are on a yard where they go out in pairs - every time they go out with another horse they risk injury but I think that is just something I have to live with.

ernikins

Visit site
Yes I don't mind him being out and playing but because my boy is smaller than the other horse he gets right under his neck and has given him some pretty nasty bites - i have spoken to the owner and she wants the horses to be out together and have as much TO as possible but I don't want to be stuck with a vets bill if one of the bites gets infected or something - i almost wish that the other horse would give him a nasty bite to teach him a lesson as he is usually a big woos and just needs a telling off!! My other worry is that he will destroy the other horses rugs!!

sorona

Visit site
If the other owner allows, could you use a bitter spray on their horse so that if your horse does try to bite it will have a bit of a shock. You can get sprays to use on rugs and posts for horses that chew so that might work as a repellent. It may only need to be used for a short period of time but would be best to be used as soon as they are to be turned out together. All my 5 boys play and bite in the field but luckioy dont tend to leave marks and it is a shame to split them up becasue of it as it is so nice to see them all relaxed and happy together and having fun.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I don't mind him being out and playing but because my boy is smaller than the other horse he gets right under his neck and has given him some pretty nasty bites - i have spoken to the owner and she wants the horses to be out together and have as much TO as possible but I don't want to be stuck with a vets bill if one of the bites gets infected or something - i almost wish that the other horse would give him a nasty bite to teach him a lesson as he is usually a big woos and just needs a telling off!! My other worry is that he will destroy the other horses rugs!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol my lad is only 12hh, 12hh of welsh mischief.

I would just confirm with the other owner and speak to her about rug damage etc, and just make sure she isnt going to sue me if her horse gets hurt. If someone elses horse hurt mine (unless it was a nasty horse that was reknowned for doing this) then I would never expect them to pay vets bills. I presume she is insured? If she's happy about the arrangement then I can't see she'd blame you for any injuries or rug damage. But just double check, then stop worrying!
I wish one of the other horses would bite B but even if they do it doesnt stop him.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
possible but I don't want to be stuck with a vets bill

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that unlikely - if the other owner isn't worried then you should stop worrying.

TBH If my horse gets damaged by others (and it has happened) that's my tough luck - and visa versa. I have never offered to pay money if Amy has damaged another horse - and I woulnd't expect to be offered money if Amy was damaged.

ernikins

Visit site
Yeh i might try that one!! I love him being out with another horse - he has so much fun and it is a shame as they really get on well - just love to play around!! I will try the bitter spray - if not on horse at least on rugs and hopefully when he is out in the day and not at night he will be too interested in eating than anything else!!!!
Thanks for all advice!