Tweed Jacket

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
My black show jacket is a bit tight. Some of those on the yard went out on hound exercise this week and wore tweed. Not sure if I’ll ever take my horse, but now thinking would getting a tweed jacket that fits give me that option. We compete at low level in different disciplines - are there any that don’t allow tweed?

Also any tips on colours (will be secondhand). Have black boots and hat, then would normally wear a white stock / shirt under my jacket. If relevant my horse is a mw bay with brown tack.

conniegirl

Visit site
Dressage, eventing and showjumping all allow tweeds at low level.
showing tweed is required in most classes

a tie is correct with a tweed or a coloured stock.

colour wise you can’t go wrong with a green or brown tweed with a subtle overcheck.

on a bay i’d go for green personally

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
You won't go wrong with the likes of a decent keepers tweed with twin vents. Look at the likes of Mears which if looked after, will outlast you!
Large overchecks are fading out of the upper end of showing this season.

Thank you I’ll have a look for Mears. Last time I owned a hacking jacket was pony club 25 years ago… but remember they went on forever!

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Dressage, eventing and showjumping all allow tweeds at low level.
showing tweed is required in most classes

a tie is correct with a tweed or a coloured stock.

colour wise you can’t go wrong with a green or brown tweed with a subtle overcheck.

on a bay i’d go for green personally

Thanks. There seems to be a lot of blue tweed for sale. Green would be nice. Then I can see I need to think about what to wear under it - the girls on the yard looked great in checked shirts and ties.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thank you I’ll have a look for Mears. Last time I owned a hacking jacket was pony club 25 years ago… but remember they went on forever!
My current one was bought for Olympia in 92 as my older one was really disreputable and too snug.
I've had a couple of seasons where this one was too snug (2010 and 11) 6 years when it was put away (03 to 09), but its had regular use again since 2012

Peglo

Visit site
I bought a green shires tweed to go on outings this season. It wasn’t a crazy price and I am slim with monkey arms and can make it work. For showing I wear a tie and other things I wear a stock. (Because I can wear a base layer instead of a shirt.) I have a chestnut, brown tack and black boots and hat.
7369EFCA-0C46-4740-8B7F-A0DC831D1ED8.jpeg
showing
708DBB8F-EA67-4BF0-8291-E61D30AAA6FD.jpeg
With a stock. Think it was a shires aubrion jacket I got.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Mine's a Foxley Keepers Tweed. It's an older, longer cut & I love it.

280556641_10160877934374739_3263213466855517010_n.jpg

Got to get a gratuitous Dave photo in!

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I bought a green shires tweed to go on outings this season. It wasn’t a crazy price and I am slim with monkey arms and can make it work. For showing I wear a tie and other things I wear a stock. (Because I can wear a base layer instead of a shirt.) I have a chestnut, brown tack and black boots and hat.
View attachment 98851
showing
View attachment 98852
With a stock. Think it was a shires aubrion jacket I got.

You look lovely. And love a chestnut with a flaxen mane / tail.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
mine is a Mears tweed. It was made to measure and then i put on weight so it is rather snug.
Its 100% wool but i have worn it in 30 degree heat with no problem as it breathes.
View attachment 98854

Only if you get a cheap polyester one!
I have a green with pale red overcheck Mears jacket. It is about 18/19 years old now and apart from the dry cleaners wrecking the fox head buttons it's still good as new except some fading to the collar.

View attachment 98859

loving the pics. You both look so smart. And a lovely horse and pony - who both look like they’re gained some serious ribbons.

Off to start looking through eBay and other secondhand sites for options.

Pippity

Visit site
I'm another with a Shires tweed. The sleeves have since been shortened - this was its first outing.

I've worn it for showing on a 30+ day, and I won't say it was fun but it was fine.

1662238372657.png

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Might get told off for this, but I have a green tweed jacket going very, very unused in my wardrobe. IIRC, it's a Sherwood Forest one. PM what size you're looking for, if you like.