Tweseldown PN - Mixed emotions!

Hattikins

Visit site
Positives - stayed on board in the dressage warm up! and she did a quiet test for 33. Much room for improvement and madam broke in canter and stumbled twice in the sticky going. Left us in 10th ish. Jumped a lovely SJing clear despite a dodgy warm up (will explain later)

Now the XC....Tweseldown had a bit of a headache on their hands as as of about 10.30ish there was a horrendous fall on the XC and the poor horse was taken away in the horse ambulance and the rider was also taken away in an ambulance. Terribly sad as the word going round was that the horse had broken vertebrae in his neck and was pts. The rider apparently needed pinning and plating too. My thoughts go out to her and I really hope she has a speedy recovery, just the most terrible thing to happen. However consequently the SJing and XC were running 2hours late from then on as they couldnt continue until the horse ambulance returned. The SJing were calling everyone to jump but refused initially to run a board system so everyone was queuing at the entrance desperate to jump but couldnt go and warm up in fear of losing their place! On top of that multiple riders were pushing in despite having plenty of time until their next horse was due to be ridden. Eventually before all hell broke loose (and believe me tensions were beginning to fray a little around the edges!) they decided in a concensus that a board system would be better, so after standing for 10mins after my initial warm up with Hattie kicking and stamping at all the midges, I went back to warm up again with 4 infront of me - Hattie was wired and I couldnt get near a warm up fence again so ended up going in jumping cold apart from my earlier warmup - didnt seem to bother her though!

Onto the XC which although being run as efficiently as possible, was really suffering with the delays of earlier and there were horses everywhere! I went over to warm up and as some of you will know its a long old walk from the lorry park to the XC. I had 40min wait until my turn so like everyone else I stood above the warm up ring and waited. A lovely lady lent me her rug for Hattie while Mum went back to the lorry park to fetch one = lovely eventer number one! Eventually got to warm up and Hattie had absolutely had enough, warmed up very on edge, had a paddy going from the warm up to the start box - Mary King gave Hattie a bit of verbal encouragement = lovely eventer number two! Set off and to say Hattie was going like a steam train was an understatement, unfortunately in the first half of the course distance wise there was only 5 fences so there was nothing to make her concentrate so she just thundered round. Got to the inocuous house at about fence 7, by this time she had slowed a *bit*, we had a small disagreement and I popped off the side - cant tell you how infuriated i was with myself, I knew in my heart i should have taken her back teeth out after fence two and condensed her canter, but my inexperienced showed and that was that, Ill learn from this and move on but I cant tell you how gutted I was! Good deed Number three and four came from the brave person who caught Hatts when she was on a mission back to the lorry park! And the doctor who I hitched a lift with back to Hattie and gave me a leg up! Something must have clicked with Hattie in those few minutes because the rest of the round was a dream, she had calmed down, her brain was fully in gear and she was forward going but very responsive so all in all I was incredibly pleased with her. The final lovely eventer and good deed number five was a lovely girl who caught up with me while I was trying to hack a wired Hatts back to the lorry park from the XC and offered to keep me company on her lovely laid back horse – she was great company, it considerably quietened Hatts down and I am extremely grateful for her kindness and thoughtfulness. So a mixed day really, another crap score to go on Hatts’ record but she has definitely recovered from her virus that’s for sure! And she felt great so I really cant complain! Its just muppet rider that needs a talking to!

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
Well done on the dressage :)

I went to watch for 2hrs, arriving at 10.30am, just as the fall occurred, so after all I actually only saw 3 horses jump SJ, and none XC! What a hassle for anyone competing.

Very unsettling for the both of you to have to wait - don't beat yourself up, the circumstances were very difficult.

Well done xxx

Saf

community.webshots.com
The horse you mention was from our yard, yes he was PTS the second vertebrae was horribly displaced RIP Rolly we are all in total shock, thank god rider will be ok 2 broken arms and ops to follow later in the week, I wish all well and speedy recovery. Saf had extra hugs last night :-(

I think you did very well considering the long delays and it's so fantastic there were so many people giving you help and kind words, that's what is so good about the event crowd.

Good luck with the next one where next? ;-)

Hattikins

Visit site
Saf: so so sad, no wonder you're in shock. That kind of thing just shouldnt happen, but it does, just awful for all involved. I was walking the course and hadnt realised it was being held at the time. we walked past fence 4 with the screens up and I have to admit I thought the horse was ok as he was just standing quietly while they were helping the rider. Both incredibly brave. I hope the rider isnt in too much discomfort and mends quickly. Thank you for your kind words, the positives outweigh the negatives by miles yesterday but a whopping 65 looks horrendous although atleast it looks like it was my fault and not Hattie's which is good. We're doing the PNplus at Munstead so hopefully I can make up for my mistake! What are you up to with Saf at the moment?

G_M: thank you, yesterday restored my faith in the kindness and generosity of people - eventers especially I definitely a special breed, just incredibly lovely people. I also feel when something major happens at an event everyone pulls together as we all realise just how risky this sport really is despite how much we love it.

Rosiefan

Visit site
What a tragedy for the other horse and rider, so sad.
It sounds as if Hattie is more than ready to go round an XC clear and I just know you'll stay with her next time :) Well done for taking the positives from a sad day x

Saf

community.webshots.com
I will pass on your regards.
Good luck with the PNP are we allowed to call it that lol
I'm not eventing Saf for the moment, I had 2 ops on my arm and then dislocated the same shoulder and just back doing dressage at the moment and got a 1st and 2nd the other day so keeping me amused for the time being, if I'm lucky may be out for end of season but will see as have hole in the tendon which needs to heal.
I will look forward to further reports ;-)

Hattikins

Visit site
Saf: I had no idea you were in the wars too! poor you! Hope you're mending alright. Well done for the dressage the other day! I hope you're not going to turn into a fully fledged diamante encrusted dressage diva!! hehe! Really hope you manage to get out eventing this season but until then I hope you wipe the board dressageing instead!
and thank you, no i suppose we should be calling it a BE100+ but its such a mouthful!

Rosiefan: thank you! I hope you're right, I so nearly stayed on but i was up her neck and she very kindly shimmied backwards so i had no choice but to hop off - it was fairly ungraceful!! Where's Rosie out next?

G_M: yup they're lovely people, make a day eventing worthwhile even if the overall outcome wasnt exactly what was planned! Have you got an event coming up?

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
The horse you mention was from our yard, yes he was PTS the second vertebrae was horribly displaced RIP Rolly we are all in total shock, thank god rider will be ok 2 broken arms and ops to follow later in the week, I wish all well and speedy recovery. Saf had extra hugs last night :-(

Gosh what a small world the horse world is, he was actually being kept on the yard I am at whilst rider was at college! Stabled next door to Bob (my horse)

Poor poor J, my heart really does go out to her, she is lovely and he was a gorgeous boy :(

alwaysbroke

Visit site
What a difficult day for day for you, well done for continuing under the circumstances. It also sounds like you have learnt alot from your xc round. There does seem to a good deal of help and support throughout the eventing community its great to know that a complete stranger will help when needed.

Saf and GH, so sorry to hear about the horse and rider that you know. If possible could you pass on my condolences and best wishes for a speedy recovery, thank you x

Saf

community.webshots.com
Gosh what a small world the horse world is, he was actually being kept on the yard I am at whilst rider was at college! Stabled next door to Bob (my horse)

Poor poor J, my heart really does go out to her, she is lovely and he was a gorgeous boy :(

Yes he was back home only the day before, so very sad, J was home last night and in pain, hope the op will get her on the road to recovery

FlipFlop5

Visit site
Thoughts go out to the rider, what a horrible thing to happen.
She sounds a bit of a madam xc! well done for the almost clear though, sure she'll behave for your next outing

Rosiefan

Visit site
Rosie was at Poplar yesterday H (just about to do a report) and then it's Gt Witch in a couple of weeks. Good luck with the next one.

Hattikins

Visit site
alwaysluck: I learnt a huge amount from my XC round, 1. my mare is far fitter than i anticipated 2. she rather enjoys XC now! 3. bloody well sit up and for gods sake give the horse some support, this sport is dangerous enough as it is without going XC on a wing and a prayer. and Consequently I'll never let it happen again which can only be a good thing and a lesson worth learning.

Charndrox: No she's not a madam at all XC, she's usually a real sweetie. She just shocked me that she was feeling so well and it was my fault that i didnt slow her down much earlier on - she would have listened to me. It was definitely pilot error!! She can be a madam at times on the ground though ;) !!

only_me

Visit site
Congrats on the dressage :) I would be over the moon with 33! :p

Poor poor person and horse :( Please send sympathies saf, that really is awful :( not a great start to the season :(

Sounds very frustrating about the pop off hattikins, but glad rest of round was good :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
God what a day you coped very well considering and yes probably a lot learnt if something simliar happens again. Glad you are both ok and good luck wth the next event. We may be coming to SoE so will look out for you there :)

Hattikins

Visit site
Thank you SJ, absolutely learnt a lot and the more i think about it the more I think it was an extremely important lesson to learn however much Im kicking myself about it! Hope you do make the trip to SofE! Would be great to catch up! :D

TGM

Visit site
Shame about your fall, but otherwise sounded like you had a productive day which should set you up well for the rest of the season. Very sad about the horse that had to be PTS though. :(

jules89

Visit site
oh my gosh. How did they fall? Sounds like Tdown had a few nasty falls over the course of a few days.

Lovely to hear Hattikins back, it sounds like she was VERY happy to be back, and don't worry, I always fall off at the beginning of the season - hence why I'm not too bothered my pone is broken ;)

AutumnRose

Visit site
Oh no, how awful for those people!!! I'm so sorry to hear.

Tweseldown really did have more than its fair share of drama didn't it!!! HOpe you aren't too sore after the fall and so glad Hattikins is pleased to be out!

Kelpie

Visit site
oh, yikes, poor horse and rider.

Glad, tho, that everyone was so helpful for you and thanx for sharing the write-up

lizzieb

Visit site
Poor horse and rider :(

Whoops about your fall. It sounds like you and Hattie learnt a lot from it which is good. Best of luck at your next event.

HotToTrot

Visit site
I fell off in the PN too! And I am also at Munstead PNP - let me know your number and I will look out for you!

That is so so sad, what an awful thing to happen.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Firstly how cool is to read that Hattie is fit and well and out competing again! Great news :) Sorry the day didn't go quite to plan, but I think you did really well to hold your nerve in difficult and sad circumstances and crack on. You've got the old Hattie back after her virus so onwards for the next one. Hope your not feeling too sore today.....

KatB

Visit site
Very well done A :) Thats what i love about your reports, you are so mature about everything, and I know you will do exactly as you say you will re. learning from mistakes, thats what makes you a fab jockey :) Sounds like H is back on form though, am SO pleased to hear it! Good luck at munstead. x

Hattikins

Visit site
Thank you all, a few days on and I feel I've put everything back into perspective and although I still feel a fool (!) Im also feeling much more philosophical about it all. :D

TGM: absolutely right, annoying and unnecessary fall but the learning curve its produced was probably worthwhile. How's Sprog getting on at the moment? Is it the dengie dressage soon?

jules: Dont think i fancy making a habit of falling off to often! It gets rather expensive! Have no idea how the nasty fall happened, it was at a boxy hayrack type fence at the top of a hill with ground slightly sloping away, hazarding a guess the horse perhaps caught a leg causing a rotational? I dont know though. How's your lovely boy doing? Is he on the mend? Dont think I know exactly what he's done to himself.

AR: Yes i think all in all it was a bit of a chaotic weekend one way or another for a fair few people including the organisers. Sorry to see you didnt have a great day either, but exemplary dressage!! big pats on the back for that :D Where are you next?

HotToTrot: Im in not such an exclusive club then!! hehe! I think I'm about 11th to go in the PNplus at munstead, no.561. Would be lovely to meet you - what no. are you?

ISZ: Hi J! You've hit the nail on the head there, at least i have the horse back that has been absent since Rackham last year - that has to be the biggest plus point ever!! How is the lovely Jemima? Are you getting to compete her this year?

Kat: Thank you very much K - that's given me a bit of a boost and you've put a smile on my face, that's very kind of you to say that. Still feel an idiot but at least I feel like a laid back idiot now and not a raging bull idiot which I felt on saturday evening! :p How's the lovely Lucky? When are you out next?

HotToTrot

Visit site
Nope you're not alone - I am right there in that club with you! I can't work bdwp (had to enter over the phone), so I shall message you when I have found out my number and times for Munstead!