Tweseldown Unaffiliated 80cm?

alphanumeric

Visit site
Hi All,

I don't often post on this forum, but I do lurk and I have an eventing query so thought of you!

I am looking to get out and do a few unaffiliated ODEs this year, having never done one before. At home and on clinics the beast and I are jumping around 1m - 1.05 SJ but we have not done masses of XC. We've been schooling a few times, did a baby height "Eventer's Challenge" at Rosehill a few weeks ago (had one silly run out because I was thinking about how sunny it was and failed to notice that the beast was drifting out of the line of fire...) and regularly pop logs, go through the water and whatever else we can find in Windsor Park out hacking. We also completed the Halton Ride yesterday, which is supposed to be around the 2'6/75cm mark, fairly successfully and didn't have any stops or real issues. We didn't jump everything (probably did about 70% of the fences, missed out a lot of the first section as was trying to stop beast being a twit before pointing him at anything!) but we faced a fairly wide variety of things, including stuff that we've not encountered before.

I really would like to find something easy and confidence giving (and preferably about 6 inches high, but I doubt that is realistic) for our first outing, as I get windy about jumping and the horse isn't exactly the most straightforward at times (though thankfully absolutely ADORES anything jump-related, especially XC). Scope is not the issue, the horse has a decent pop and I am a capable enough jockey (horse may disagree at times, but then I disagree with much of his more "interpretive" work ;) ), it is just my confidence that may be suspect. So, the friend I did Halton with has sent me links to a few bits and pieces and I have clocked that there is an unaffiliated 80cm at Tweseldown on 14th April. We have schooled at Tweseldown before, but can anyone give me an indication of how tough the unaffiliated 80s are there? Would this be a sensible place to attempt a debut or not? Any thoughts appreciated.

As it seems to be the custom on here to offer things for the reading to the end of the post and in an effort to entice responses, I have chocolate buttons on offer :)

ETA: Gratuitous Halton photos to add, I don't expect anyone to be able to look at a photo and tell me we can do an event, but it will at least give you an idea of the beast and prove it can get over a fence/I'm not a troll ;), plus I'm still quite pleased with us :D

IMAG1670.jpg

IMAG1672.jpg

IMAG1671.jpg

Last edited:

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I did a 2'6'' to 2'9'' hunter trial there the weekend before last and I think overall the course was pretty nice. There was one coffin (though ditch in it was tiny), one jump where you had to do quite a sharp right turn after to get to the next one jumping downhill, a sunken road which is quite up to height so requires a bit of riding but not too bad, probably the trickiest jump was a wide (90cm ish) ditch two short strides before a large brush fence, my horse trotted over the ditch hence dodged stride into the brush and rather messy jump out! Water was just a trot in the trot out again, a wide hay cart towards the end but otherwise I think most jumps quite straghtforward. That hedge you're jumping looks quite substantial so I'd think you'd be fine. Have just done a post of xc schooling at Tweseldown with lots of pics so these might help, most jumps in it are prob between 80cm and a metre.

alphanumeric

Visit site
Ahhh, Deefa, you superstar!

Now a friend on FB said that the course was fairly meaty but I've not been drinking this evening or anything and the ones in the photos all seem fairly manageable (plus I've jumped a fair few on schooling outings anyway)... Hmmmm... Am I missing something?

ETA: Paint Me Proud, thank you for the input, I shall go check out your photos as well :)

star

Visit site
i took those piccies last yr :) it was my first ever event and the only jump that worried me was the haycart. I think you'll find half of those jumps you did at Halton are much closer to 2ft9 than 2ft6 so reckon you'd be fine round Tweseldown - you just need good steering as it's very twisty.

Morganlafaye

Visit site
Ahhh, Deefa, you superstar!

Now a friend on FB said that the course was fairly meaty but I've not been drinking this evening or anything and the ones in the photos all seem fairly manageable (plus I've jumped a fair few on schooling outings anyway)... Hmmmm... Am I missing something?

ETA: Paint Me Proud, thank you for the input, I shall go check out your photos as well :)

Your friend on FB may have been referring to the BE90 course rather than the 80 one. The BE90/Intro one felt quite up to height and width compared to some others like Pulborough/Coombelands.

almostthere

Visit site
Hi,
If you look at my most recent post you will see that I am not exactly Mrs Confident and yet I managed the 2ft6in- 2ft 9in HT there a couple of weeks back. As Star says it is very twisty turny and so you do need steering but the most difficult (as another poster said) was the ditch to brush because my horse didn't see the ditch until the last minute and then tried to duck out the side but failed ;-). Good luck!!

jessie7

Visit site
Just looking at this thread as I want to start doing some Horse Trials and am shocked..................is it really that expensive for UNAFFILIATED??? :confused:

alphanumeric

Visit site
Just looking at this thread as I want to start doing some Horse Trials and am shocked..................is it really that expensive for UNAFFILIATED??? :confused:

Funny you should say that, Jessie7 - I had the same thought when I looked at the schedule. That partly prompted my thread as it's a bit more of an investment (plus diesel, photos etc) than finding an unaffiliated SJ at £10 a round or similar! I didn't want to waste £75 to go somewhere and be totally out of our depth.

I can sort of see why the costs are high though - you have 3 separate disciplines, all with judges/helpers etc.

Thank you all for your input, Mattingley has also been suggested by a few people, including my instructor, but I have a nasty feeling that I've agreed to do some judging on 22nd. I *think* our steering is okay (fnar fnar, famous last words) so we might cope with twisty turny-ness at Tweseldown.

The jury is still out and other opinions welcomed, I am also going to speak to my instructor in our lesson tomorrow and see what he thinks :)

Last edited: