Twitching withers *update*

Jordi222

Visit site
Just dropping in to update my situation (see previous post) with my mares untouchable twitching/spasming wither area.
I bit the bullet and got on and rode her - nothing strenuous, just a short walk around the farm and back. She had twitched a couple of times but had her ears forward and was happy to be out!

Myself and a friend had been doing long reining with the help of a Pessoa for 3/4 times a week for about 3 weeks or so. Should I be right to assume that this has built up her muscle enough to eliminate most of the sensitivity and spasm?

We left the Pessoa for a week and the spasm returned. I'm thinking of cutting it down to once a week as I don't want to put her through a hard regime in the long run as she isn't exactly in her prime anymore. The only thing I have noticed is that the saddle goes on, and she sinks or hollows her back? Should I consider a gel pad or anything else to encourage her to hold herself and carry the saddle/rider properly?

Overall I'm really pleased she is rideable again, but just want to get it exactly right for her in the long run.
Thanks for any replies x

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not sure because she shouldn't lose any muscle bulk over just a week for the spasm to return again by not using the pessoa.

applecart14

Visit site
The only thing I have noticed is that the saddle goes on, and she sinks or hollows her back? Should I consider a gel pad or anything else to encourage her to hold herself and carry the saddle/rider properly?

Overall I'm really pleased she is rideable again, but just want to get it exactly right for her in the long run.
Thanks for any replies x

Hi glad your mare is on the mend. I saw the bit about the dipping of the back and assume she is cold backed.The most obvious reason for this is poor saddle fit from pressure from a badly fitted saddle, or back pain resulting from muscle strain.

I know at one time it was believed that horses got a drop in blood pressue due to pressure on the chest but I am not sure if there is any scientific proof of this. I haven't read your earlier post but did you ever get your physio or saddle fitter out to examine the horse/saddle? It would be interesting to see if this is as a result of poor saddle fit as this would have a knock on effect and make the withers twitch and the nerves become impinged due to lack of circulation.

The problem with gel pads or thick saddle cloths is this: imagine you are buying some really nice shoes, but they are in reality too small for you. Because they hurt your feet you pad your feet out with a plaster or a sock. This stops your feet from hurting in the short term, but in the long term it will make the situation worse because your shoes become even tighter. In the end you would have very sore feet.

Its the same with saddles, the more you put underneath in an attempt to eliviate pain the worse you make the situation in the long run. Riser pads just shift the weight somewhere else, and eventually the weight transference will cause sore points to develop elsewhere on the horses back. I learnt this with my last horse through bitter experience and would never use a riser pad long term.

The only solution however annoying is to bite the bullet, get a reputable saddle fitter to come out and either reflock your saddle or buy another one I'm afraid. I am 99% sure that the muscle/withers twitching is due to the saddle fit. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted x

Last edited:

SadKen

Visit site
I posted about similar twitchy withers on here the other day.

After many, many hours of investigation and hand wringing we seem to have finally established that the twitch is due to overstimulation of the latissimus dorsi muscle, which has been pinched by a saddle which is too narrow for my girl (due to all the work I've done building her topline). This is slightly unusual as the muscle is behind the shoulder and not where you'd usually look for saddle damage.

In our case I stopped working her as she was obviously very uncomfortable being ridden, and the twitch gradually improved. We thought at this point that her skin was irritated as I'd put some coat shine on it. She was on steroids, and we thought this was the reason for the improvement. I began riding again, and gradually the twitch has returned; she would be fine until the saddle went on, at which point the twitching fired up. I have stopped riding again, my girl is being worked on the lunge, and I do have access to a wider saddle whilst I am waiting for a new one to be made. The twitch has lessened significantly although she is still struggling slightly with left bend.

Based on my experience, I'd say it's your saddle; my girl took a while after being ridden again to start twitching a second time, so I think the damage being done by a too tight saddle is cumulative rather than instant.

I have a physio coming tomorrow; will post the outcome here. I am getting a brand new saddle made by the only fitter I trust (as others have said my saddle is OK, when I know it is not); I figure that I plan to own missy for the next 20 years so it's a good investment to get one that will really fit well. And I don't need an Ivor that will match my car. Not really. ;)

shergar

Visit site
It might be worth reading ulcer symptoms ,and watching some of videos ULCER DIAGNOSIS BY MARK DEPAOLO on youtube one of his videos shows a horse with a sore back and twitching withers , before and after treatment.
Worth a look if that is some thing you have not considered see how that compares with your horse.

Tnavas

Visit site
Horses often get I wither twitch when the withers are out of alignment, or your cover has rubbed the wither, possibly just hair loss or sometimes an open wound.