Two horses die in fire

rockysmum

Visit site
I am sad to say the owner is a member on here, obviously I would be gutted whether they were or not :mad:

I have received a PM asking me to correct the information given on the Landy forum. I cant edit the post so:

"Could I please request that you correct your posting? Our beautiful grey Percheron mare was called Baggy or Baggins (passport name Esperance).

Thank you in anticipation. In deep sadness"

Again all our sympathy and hugs to the owners and RIP Baggy and Chiani

Tnavas

Visit site
(((((HUGS))))) So terribly saddened to hear your tragic news
Don't cry for the horses
That life has set free
A million wild horses
Forever to be

Don't cry for the horses
Now in God's hands
As they dance and they prance
To a heavenly band

They were ours as a gift
But never to keep
As they close their eyes
Forever to sleep

Mariposa

Visit site
Just read about this on facebook - they need rugs etc, asking for people to send anything they can :( Poor poor horses. I can't find anything in the news about it, does anyone have a link?

Last edited:

Rose Folly

Visit site
Rockysmum - if you know the owner(s) please will you pass on my deepest sympathy - I haven't seen the item so don't know what happened but it must be every owner's worst nightmare. A fire officer told me once that most fire deaths are caused not by burning but by smoke inhalation, so God willing they were unconscious early on. Oh those poor horses......

rockysmum

Visit site
No sorry, I just saw it on the Land Rover forum, dont even know the location.

If anyone wants to send something I can ask the OP on there for details or perhaps you could link to FB page.

I could ask the person who PMd me on here, but their horse died so perhaps not appropriate :(

rockysmum

Visit site
Rockysmum - if you know the owner(s) please will you pass on my deepest sympathy - I haven't seen the item so don't know what happened but it must be every owner's worst nightmare. A fire officer told me once that most fire deaths are caused not by burning but by smoke inhalation, so God willing they were unconscious early on. Oh those poor horses......

Thats lovely Rose Folly. No sorry I dont know the owners. They did PM me on here to correct the name but obviously dont feel up to posting.

rockysmum

Visit site
Have put a post on the Landy forum.

A few people on there knew of the place and were local.

No idea what part of the country it was other than a guess that it was the South West.

rockysmum

Visit site
This is the post and contact details if anyone can help

Please help! Last night there was a fire at my friend’s yard. Sadly it claimed the lives of 2 of the horses stabled there. It totally devastated the tack room and adjoining stables. The yard is located in Buckinghamshire. If anybody could help in even the smallest way, by donating any unused horsey items such as rugs (stable and turnout), boots, bandages, headcollars, unwanted tack etc it would all be very much appreciated at this time. These are wonderful people and deserve the help and support of the equine community. Rug sizes between 5ft 6 and 6ft 9 please. You can contact Siobhan on 07969 624992 to offer your help or PM me with details and I will pass them on to her. Thank you so much. x

Mariposa

Visit site
Slightly worryingly someone has posted on that facebook thread that this is a scam.

Whilst not wishing to offend anyone at this sad time, I am confused as to why there is nothing in the news about this?

DavidHitchcock

New User
Visit site
Greetings All,

I had not intended to post here but as the thread is gaining momentum and, not surprisingly, I am having difficulties sleeping...

As the titular owner of our beautiful Percheron mare Baggy, but from the day they first met, she was truly always my daughter Sasha's horse, I wanted to thank all for their support and to assuage any fears that the appeal for help that has been made or the organising of requests of offers of help are scams.

If anyone is doubtful regarding the fire, there is report on the Northamptonshire Fire And Rescue Service website, a link to which has been published above.

I do now thank all those from both the Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire fire services for their work in extinguishing the fire.

But even more so, to our friend who discovered the fire just after 5 a.m. on her way to caring for her own horses in another part of the yard, and not only raised the alarm but also rescued a number of horses, including our other mare, without thinking of her own safety. She and a number of others including the yard owner and his vet son and her father all deserve a medal and we will be forever grateful to them. I have not asked permission to publish peoples' identities but all on our yard know who they are and agree that they were heroic. Similarly, at the time of posting, I have not asked permission and so will not publish Chianti's owner's name but our thoughts are with her too.

The appeal is not a scam. We (the bereaved owners) did not initiate any request for help, but when posts of the fact the we had lost everything, not only our beloved mares, but rugs, bits, tack and harness for our and others' surviving horses, and even their feed from their feed bins, etc., horsy people on the net have freely offered what they can. The fire not only destroyed our stables, but also a number of other stables in our and adjacent blocks have been made uninhabitable from smoke damage. Some horses have had to spend unexpected, nights out until temporary stabling can be transferred from Olympia, expected imminently.

We are very grateful for the all the support we have been offered.

Baggy was rescued by an English couple from a farm in France. We responded to an advert and when we were offered her on loan, we accepted immediately; when the option to buy was offered there was no question. Whilst she won ribbons with Sasha in local club dressage, she was always really a harness horse. We had lots of fun and exciting days competing in club horse driving trials. Even though some thought her too heavy for the sport, she won ribbons in the dressage phase of the events and gave us thrills and spills in the cones and marathon phases. There are few horses who remain calm and placidly wait for their driver's next instruction when she, the driver, was clambering back up to stand after the carriage had been over-turned down a bank in competition. She will be missed locally and by members of the Midlands Driving Trials Group; but of course, most deeply by Sasha, Carol and I.

Again, thank you for your support and in deep sadness,

dIh

rockysmum

Visit site
I am sorry that the actions of some people on Facebook have forced you to make this post. I dont know how people can be so cruel in these circumstances.

I am glad the horsey community is rallying round in these dreadful circumstances.

Once again deepest sympathy for you, your family and Chiantis owner.