Tying up....what to feed????!!!!

dapple2807

Visit site
My horse tied up back in march and I was advised to change her feed from the conditioning cubes/sugar beet/chaff diet she was on as high in carbs and could have contribute to tying up although I think she just got herself in such a tizz over something very silly (another story). As we were coming into spring it didn't matter too much as went out onto spring grass so put her on a small amount, of calm and condition by Allen and page. As the goodness is now leaving the grass and I want to start feeding in prep for winter I've now been looking into what to feed... it's all so confusing. She's pretty much full TB, 15.2, can be quite sharp but also feels like she could do with a slow release energy and does tend to lose condition coming into winter, any advice gratefully received!!!!

jenz87

Visit site
We feed C&C as well, one of our horses ties up and in winter, (Hes TB) we feed him hay, c&c and speedibeet (sugarbeet without all the molasses etc) and redigrass and he does just fine, infact a bit tubby last winter!
He goes out in the day in winter, and is very thin skinned and a bit of a wuss.

jenz87

Visit site
At the moment hes on c&c about 1 bowl scoop a day unsoaked, but when its winter hes on about 3/4scoop x 2 a day unsoaked with 1 scoop of speedibeet (soaked) split between the feeds and 2/3 scoop of redigrass in each feed and hay when he is in.
Hope that helps!