Tying up Youngsters

STRINGBEAN

New User
Visit site
At what age, and how do you train a youngster to tie up?? Any advice greatly received. My baby has just turned one. She leads well in a headcollar and stands with someone holding her. Dont want to scare her by tying her to a solid object too soon! :confused:

ExmoorHunter

Visit site
I do it between weaning and 1 year and not had a problem. Obviously whilst I am around to see they are okay. Best to use a quick release clip though.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Usually start at weaning, I use a long thinnish rope, clipped to headcollar and passed through the tie ring. I hold the end as I'm grooming, doing feet etc, and just give and take as the young horse moves, without taking a strong hold. When they get used to it, I move on to the next stage of actually tying them up, but still using the long rope with the end tied to another tie ring, away from the horse, so that I can untie quickly if necessary.

crabbymare

Visit site
Normally just before weaning with the rope through the ring but held instead of tied so they have mum beside them which keeps everything easy for them.

Enfys

Visit site
I do the same as hayinamanger and crabby mare, long rope through a ring.

I let the youngster move back without pressure but always bring it back into place to stand.

I start very early on though, about a month. They learn very fast to stand when a rope is on, I don't tie off until they are much older and are standing where they are put.