Tying your horse straight to post without string.

Enfys

Visit site
Weezy, that's what it's called is it? Highwayman's Knot? I do that too.

I don't tie up properly anyway, just put the rope round the pole, fence whatever a time or two, horses think they are tied, so stay. Most times I just drop the rope and they stand.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I use baler twine and a quick release.
A friend of mine many years ago let a muppet ride her horse said muppet tied horse to metal 5 bar gate. Horse panicked and it was a traditional 'farmers fixing (bits of string tying inplace) horse bolted still attached to gate dragged it some way and made some mess of herself before she was rescued.
She never tied up again you had to stand and hold her.

Eceni

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The true quick release doesn't actually tie through whatever you are using. its quite tricky to learn! Can you tell im crap at explaining things!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called a Highwayman's hitch....

you fold the rope over so you've got an upside down U shape

pass the U through the ring

then take the HORSE'S END of the rope and make another upside down U and pass that through the loop of the first U and pull it tight

then take YOUR END of the rope (the free end) and make another upside down U and pass that through the second U (the one you made with the horse's end of the rope) and pull *that* tight

now if you pull your end - the free end - the whole lot falls away and you - the Highwayman - can escape from the law immediately. (or you can release your horse and be holding the free end of the rope, which is the point)

Practise without your horse first so you can do it smoothly without jerking her end of the rope

happy tying

smile.gif

E

MagicMelon

Visit site
I went to a show at the weekend at a local mart. Most of the horses were penned (including mine). Everybody had tied their horses straight to the metal bars, I however chose to tie to string. Thank god, because my pony got his head stuck under the rope and panicked. I hate to think what could have happened if tied to the bars.

I have also had someone tie one of my past youngsters to a massive strainer and leave them there to fight. TBH I hated it and wouldnt ever do that again.