Type/breed, what do you prefer?

Enfys

Visit site
It's been asked before and it will be asked again, but I am nosey.

Without getting into a total breed - my horse is better than yours - bitchfest, is there a certain type, or breed, or colour even, that you prefer above others, why?

... and what type/breed would you not even consider?

HashRouge

Visit site
When I was a kid I was obsessed with Arabs and my first - and only - horse is an Arab. She's been in the family for nearly 14 years, since I was 11, and somehow turned out to be a super horse for a tween/ teenager. I take no credit for that :p. So I'll always be slightly sentimental about Arabs and my girl is here to stay, but I ended up being quite tall and, although I'm very light, I feel more comfortable on something bigger. My absolute dream horse, who belongs to a showjumper I used to work for, is a big lanky chestnut gelding with a white blaze annd three high white socks. He's my absolute dream horse, by Balou du Rouet, and I really like that type of horse - big and athletic. The colour is a bonus, I love chestnuts with a lot of white. I've worked with a lot of SJ horses and I always like the slightly lighter ones. I worked with two very nice mares, one by Berlin and one by Warrant, who were exactly what I like - tall, athletic, well put together. 16.2hh minimum for height.

I wouldn't own/ consider a purebred native or a cob. I like my horses taller and not as chunky, although I can very much see the attraction of them to other people, they just aren't for me.

Chunkie

Visit site
I love Section D's because of their nature, they're easy to keep & adapt to any type of work. Yes, they can be a little quirky, but I've had 4 now & am looking for the next one.

Colour - wouldn't have a grey but only cos I like showing & they look like too much hard work to keep clean.

I wouldn't have a Friesian or a Gelderlander - I don't like the way they're built.

FFAQ

Visit site
Hm, interesting question!

As winter looms ever nearer, I am going off the idea of heavy horses! I have 2 cobs that get so clogged in mud it makes riding a very daunting task! However, having owned a shire in the past, I would definitely consider another if the circumstances were right.

I do love an Arab - generally very hardy. But then shetlands are very cute and great fun too.

Gorgeous as they are, I probably wouldn't consider a TB as they seem to require a little more tlc than some of the more hardy breeds, unless it was for the purposes of hoof rehab...

oh I don't know, I think I'm just a softy for any ned!!

be positive

Visit site
I have owned many different types and breeds, I like a smaller, quality horse for myself, a pba or large native/ native cross ideally, currently have a 16.2 ISH that would not be my choice as he is far too tall, him at 15 hands would be perfect, he was gifted to me and will not shrink!
I like cobs but not with lots of feather or long manes and tails, it all comes off if I buy one, Friesians don't appeal but having never had one maybe one would grow on me, the few quarter horses I have dealt with have been interesting but again not really for me.

I think it is usually down to the individual rather than the breed/ type but they need to attract you in the first place so you get to know them and their traits.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have owned many different types and breeds, I like a smaller, quality horse for myself, a pba or large native/ native cross ideally, currently have a 16.2 ISH that would not be my choice as he is far too tall, him at 15 hands would be perfect, he was gifted to me and will not shrink!
I like cobs but not with lots of feather or long manes and tails, it all comes off if I buy one, Friesians don't appeal but having never had one maybe one would grow on me, the few quarter horses I have dealt with have been interesting but again not really for me.

I think it is usually down to the individual rather than the breed/ type but they need to attract you in the first place so you get to know them and their traits.

Irish Draught for me.

The best, in terms of competitive success has been the Selle Francias.
The best, as in hunter/fun horse pure ID

The horse that would never grace the yard is a haflinger.

Horses that I haven't had any experience of but dislike the conformation are fresians, gelderlanders and ardenne.

GemG

Visit site
I do like an athletic build, European WB type/ TB x type, Arab x .... Love it even more if it's spotted lol! Not too bothered about height (love a decent Welsh A!).

Sorry I just can't take to cobs, even though I appreciate their individual qualities and I know there are fab ones out there. Dislike black and white traditionals. I would never have one just because of the way they look (how shallow does that sound!!!!!)

But we all like different ones and the differences is what keeps it all interesting!

be positive

Visit site
I do like an athletic build, European WB type/ TB x type, Arab x .... Love it even more if it's spotted lol! Not too bothered about height (love a decent Welsh A!).

Sorry I just can't take to cobs, even though I appreciate their individual qualities and I know there are fab ones out there. Dislike black and white traditionals. I would never have one just because of the way they look (how shallow does that sound!!!!!)

But we all like different ones and the differences is what keeps it all interesting!

We do all like different things, spotted horses do nothing for me, I don't even read an ad if the photo shows a spotty or a very pale wishy washy dilute, I agree about the black and white cobs though they rarely have enough quality or athleticism for my liking, very different to a show cob, they can be very athletic.

kassieg

Visit site
I love a connie. My ultimate favourite is connie x tb as they have all of the jump but the power & go from the tb. I've got a 3 year old atm who is v.exciting :)

I also love most of the horses by master imp, quirky but fun & so much jump !

I wouldn't have a traditional cob or a trotter or anything like that or frankly anything unsuitable to event because it would be pointless! That's not to say i cant appreciate them :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Personal preference is a funny old thing. I used to ride an ISH that was in many ways a very good match for me. I could have taken him out competing and done far better with him than I ever could with my chestnut mare. However he just left me cold and no, I wouldn't have ever given him stable space. The (as she was then), nappy chestnut mare on the other hand, who'd never seen a trotting pole and was green and spooky, just made me feel so happy.

Stockers

Visit site
I like Irish horses. For me , you can't beat a good ID or ID x as a great all rounder.

I love Iberian horses and warm bloods but such a breed would be wasted on me - I'm realistic enough to know I couldn't do one justice.

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate them for their ability and looks though.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It really is different strokes for different folks :) Sis loves heavies and cobs to ride, I much prefer a lighter horse. We own, between us, one draught mare, one young maxi cob type, and two Appy's who both have tb in the mix. I rarely ride Sis's horses and she rarely rides the Appy's, but we both think the world of all four of them :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I like finer types, always liked Arabs, Anglos, TBs when younger and then rode my first Lusitano at age 33. I now keep exmoors and a Lusitano ( my second). I do love native ponies as well, had an exmoor when I was a kid plus a lovely NF and a section C that was not so lovely.
I can't be doing with anything with feather, kept on or off -too much maintenance and when I was riding plenty of horses back in the day, I didn't much care for the Irish horses. I had the loan of such a horse after my first luso was pts and he was safe, obedient etc but although I could appreciate that I'd never have kept him long term. I did recently ride a big appy a few times and surprised myself by how much I liked him.

Vicky Arabian

Visit site
Grey Arabs!

I cant help it. I've tried to stop the addiction by trying many other breeds and colours but nothing makes my heart happier than a beautiful grey arab :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Anything light/middleweight. I love section Ds and arabs, although I have never owned one. My late mare was a section D x TB x WB and she was pretty much perfect. I have owned several OTT TBs and loved them. Colour-wise, I like most horses with the cream dilute. I have a soft spot for palominos, but they have to be dark palominos. I love a really dark seal brown horse. My current horse is a TB x German WB. She is a seal brown with the cream dilute and so a brown buckskin aka smoky brown. I really love her colour, and although I normally prefer quite a bit of white on my horses, I think the fact that she doesn't have any at all, really suits her colour.

eating_zpsom1ikt9k.jpg

Now to the second part of your question, I wouldn't have a coloured cob. I just can't see the attraction and there are far too many about. Although I think if they are left to grow out their feathers and have lovely well cared for manes and tails, they look quite nice.

Last edited:

Flame_

Visit site
Grey Arabs!

I cant help it. I've tried to stop the addiction by trying many other breeds and colours but nothing makes my heart happier than a beautiful grey arab :)

Arabs, but not greys, lol. I'm trying to buy one (not grey) and greys that tick all the boxes keep presenting themselves, though I know I just can't warm to them. I was going to buy one, it failed the vet and i was relieved! That's no good is it? I'll have to just wait for the right one that's not grey.

I like riding light, comfortable, pretty horses. So yeah, arabs.

I don't like riding draught types, horses or native ponies, but I like them fine for pulling carriages.

Last edited:

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Arabs and part breds for me, although I've got a hankering after a Section D. In black or palomino, not that I'm looking! ;) And I love Highland ponies.

Not a fan of black and white cobs - when I see a really nice one at a show I do think "wow" but they're just not my cuppa and the thought of trying to keep all that feather clean in winter makes me feel ill.

TelH

Visit site
I cannot imagine my life without a Shetland in it :D I like good quality show cobs but am not such a fan of traditional cobs. I like nice riding horse types too, probably influenced by the fact that my first horse was one. I have never been a fan of Arabs though.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Arabs are my favourite breed I just love the way they ride they are so comfortable and easy and they just seem to want to please you and enjoy being ridden, I have two bay geldings that look quite similar in fact all my horses have been bay, I would like a nice liver chestnut Arab with a flaxen mane and tail.

I do like a lot of warm bloods as well if I couldn't have Arabs I would have warmblood

only_me

Visit site
I like ISH, usually at least half tb :)
Generally open to all types of ISH but don't particularly like chestnuts.

I don't like Arabs, Welshes, halfingers or traditional type cobs. And I really don't like fresians!

I think it might be due to how they move though, I really don't like choppy strides or high knees in horses. As for Arabs, I just don't like their heads! If I wanted to do endurance though I would consider getting one though. But definitely not one with a dished face!

Plus in the past I rode a half Arab chestnut which was probably the most evil horse I've ever met! However It did teach me to sit very securely and improved my stickability immensely :p

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I had a 16.3hh TB previously (he was PTS after a field accident) and I now have a native pony.

I love the elegance, athleticism and power of TB's - I'd like another at some point.

But right now, my native pony ticks all my boxes. He's low maintenance, hardy - there's no sitting at my desk fretting that the weather has taken an unexpected turn and he's not rugged/unrugged appropiately - level headed enough for friend's or family to cope with if need bebut responsive enough to school reasonably well within my modest ambitions (the dizzying heights of prelim dressage is our goal :D ) and plenty fun enough to enjoy our hacks.

I've not yet met a breed I don't like - I rather fancy a Fjord or Haflinger too!

Last edited:

Micropony

Visit site
For me it's more about attitude and character than breed as such. And I like a horse to feel nice when you stroke it, i.e. not a thick coarse coat. My irrational thing is I don't like horses with too much white - dislike big blazes, white faces etc, and partly for that reason would be very unlikely to ever buy a coloured. Also not keen or feathers.

Have only ever had WBs, a German and a Dutch, but have admired other people's TBs, Irish horses, Connies, Welsh Ds and I once met a rather lovely bay Luso who didn't have that funny "frozen shoulder" way of moving you sometimes see in Iberian horses. And my horse's next door neighbour is a little orange cob who can do no wrong as far as I am concerned. I have often thought a Dales or Welsh D crossed with one of the lighter WBs would be a rather lovely amateur's all rounder. Especially if it was a really dark colour!

fankino04

Visit site
My horse if a lifetime was an ex racer so will always have a soft spot for a pretty tb. When I was really young I always wanted an arab (something to do with books with a girl living in scotland who had a wild arab I think) then I found them a but too spindly and my first pony was a welsh section b so now I have a welsh x arab who I think is georgous and incredibly versatile with just the right amount if cheekiness. I cant really get away with traditional cobs although very nice when done up for a show normally just look a bit plain and remind me of desensitized numb ******* in a riding school.

buddylove

Visit site
For me, a nice m/w Hunter type, preferably native x TB, not hairy!
Nothing too light and spindly as I would break it and I don't do anything too highly strung that takes a lot of maintenance.
Like the look of a show cob but not a fan of traditionals.
Also love native ponies for the kids, Dartmoors and welshies especially.

ihatework

Visit site
I can appreciate and admire any correct/quality example of any breed.

I don't have a breed preference at all, but I definitely have a type preference.

Good looking, compact, uphill, L-MW sporthorse types, athletic, forward thinking and intelligent. Max height 16.2hh, definitely no lanky Giants! Extroverts preferred!

Colourwise definitely a strong rich solid colour. Preferably with some white.

Pilib

Visit site
It used to be TB's then I accidentally bought an Irish Draught. Best decision I ever made, love that horse in my opinion they are the perfect breed athletic enough to do well in Dressage and showjumping, make fab hunters and are forgiving, gentle, kind and clever.

HashRouge

Visit site
My horse if a lifetime was an ex racer so will always have a soft spot for a pretty tb. When I was really young I always wanted an arab (something to do with books with a girl living in scotland who had a wild arab I think) then I found them a but too spindly and my first pony was a welsh section b so now I have a welsh x arab who I think is georgous and incredibly versatile with just the right amount if cheekiness. I cant really get away with traditional cobs although very nice when done up for a show normally just look a bit plain and remind me of desensitized numb ******* in a riding school.

Those would be Particia Leitch's Jinny at Finmory books. She is single-handedly responsible for a whole generation of young girls desperate to own a chestnut Arab :p