Types of bit?

Sal_E

Visit site
I consider myself to be quite a bit guru, understanding the mechanisms of most types - however, there are a few that I've come across that you see fairly often but I don't know much about them - can anyone enlighten me? I'd just like to increase my knowledge repertoire!

1st one is a twisted mouth (i.e. mouth piece is stainless steel, twisted) - I've seen it on a simple eggbutt but guess you can get variations. I presume this puts more pressure on the tongue so guess it's quite sharp & for horses who lean maybe?

The 2nd one is a double mouth - i.e. a loose ring jointed snaffle but with 2 mouth pieces, so the central joints are misaligned. I imagine this mouth piece could pinch the tongue, but other than that, don't really understand it.

Last one is a copper wire wrapped mouth, which I'm guessing is a bit that LOOKS more severe than it is. The copper wrap looks tightly wrapped (in a photo - haven't seen it), so I doubt it can pinch. I presume it just gives a bit of texture so encourages the horse to come off the hand without it being severe.

Any views appreciated!

KatB

Visit site
I think the Copper wrapped is to encourage mouthing, as copper is a warm metal, and should encourage the horse to back off the bit. Also the texture encourage softness there.

The twisted metal bit is exactly as you say, designed to stop a horse from leaning on the bit because of the rough edges. Combined with a nutcracked, a harsh and unpleasant bit IMO!

The double one has a "scissor" action, so does pinch. However, opinions vary on harshness, as there is a large surface area that the pressure is placed over...

Sal_E

Visit site
Yup, agree with all of that - thanks!
smile.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
Double bits are designed to crush the tongue, but not in a pinching action if that makes sense. They are harsh in the wrong hands and can not be used with an English contact. However one handed activities suit this bit as you only use it to stop.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I have to confess to having a Barry gag (running gag with double mouth) in my collection. Its for our hano who particularly enjoys leaning and burying her head!

Not surprised to see them out hunting as they provide excellent brakes. Better to use this than haul with a snaffle. However I don't like jumping with them, as if you mess up and catch them in the mouth they are less likely to forgive you with one of these!

rosita

Visit site
Barry gags used often in polo for horses that have little to no mouth left! also used with runners.. not a nice bit so if i have to use one will ALWAYS vaseline the mouth, poor ponies can come of with nasty rips otherwise. Seen pelhams turned into gags as well..they seem a little extreme, and the waterford gags seem quite strong too, although not as strong as a barry from what i understand, don't rip the mouth as quickly! think that every possible mouth piece has been put into gag form to use in polo!