Typically what causes a toe first landing?

shadowboy

Visit site
My unshod NF has started to land toe first with this front feet. He lands correctly behind. He started doing this about 3 months ago. I have a new farrier as I changed yards to an area where my old farrier doesn't cover. It's got progressively worse randomly since he's been in with no turnout. He's sound just not landing as I would like. I have also taken him off supplements like prohoof as I am not feeding him as he is in. The yard has an incredibly rough stony drive- think the worst possible - and his toe first landing is most noticeable on this. Could it be a deep seated thrush?

xgemmax

Visit site
toe first landing is a sure sign of heel pain. i would defo check for thrush as a first thing and start the pro-hoof or even pro-balance again, just feed in a handfull of speedibeet or something :)

sally2008

Visit site
It could be thrush or heel pain but very often a horse toe lands if it has no choice because of poor foot balance. If he's not been doing enough work to be self-maintaining I would be booking him in with the farrier / trimmer to check and if they tell you that toe-landing doesn't matter then look to change to someone who understands the damage it can cause long term if not corrected.