UDATE on elderly lady who lost her dog

misst

Visit site
Some months ago I posted about my neighbour whose dog collapsed on a walk. She was distraught and I was unsure what to do to help.

Since I am posting about one of my dogs I thought I would update everyone.

We made a donation to Battersea where Bryn came from as suggest by someone on here. It was made in Bryns name and M my neighbour was thrilled.
She has a lovely photo on her wall now.
She has a rosebush I bought her in his memory under her kitchen window.
Her little Shitzu was quite happy as the only dog but is not affectionate and M missed having a cuddly dog - Bryn was a silly soft staffie.

So she went to the RSPC and they gave her a 2 year old medium sized high energy x breed who was "good with other dogs" - it attacked the Shitzu on day 2 and bit it terribly. I returned the dog and gave them a piece of my mind - they refused to give her her money back and only changed the dogs advert on their site when I complained. It was still advertised as good with other dogs and may be able to live with children.... it nearly killed the Shitzu.

Anyway last month I took her to the dogs trust in Newbury. We talked her out of the 9 month old lurcher! the collie x suitable for fly ball and agility (M is 85) and the staff having therapy for boisterous behaviour! The people at the dogs trust were very very good. Luckily they had a little chi x jrt who is perfectly behaved and house trained and gets on like a house on fire with the shitzu. He sleeps in her bed, walks everywhere with her and is a darling.

So M is happy again and a little dog has a heavenly home where he and his housemate live like kings :)
so a belated thanks to all who made helpful suggestions - there was a happy ending.

misst

Visit site
Well done for helping her out :)

and how dreadful of RSPCA to home something totally unsuitable! Did they help out on vets bills? Shame on them :(

What do you think!!! They were "surprised" by the dogs behaviour. TBH you could see from the minute M got her home that she was a high energy young dog who was quite dominant in her attitude. Very pretty but I would not have taken her and I am no behaviour expert. Why they considered giving her to an 85yo with a small dog I have no idea. M went on her own when she chose her. They never apologised never mind offer to pay bills. They kept the rehoming fee too. M had to separate the two dogs by hitting the new one with a broom many times before she let go of the shitzu. The bites were deep and multiple - it was not a bit of a scrap, it was a full on attack by a possessive jealous dog. She started by taking control of all the furniture and guarding M from the minute she arrived - it was obvious there was a problem.

The dogs trust were fab. They steered M to the right kind of dog without being condescending. It seemed to me the RSPCA were just looking to get rid of the dog asap. M just wanted a dog and they took advantage of that. They understanding of what had happened was nil They just kept saying "maybe she will be ok with a different dog" WTF! Maybe she needs an adult only experienced home with no other pets. Or maybe PTS.... hey ho that's the RSPCA for you....

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
lovely update, pleased she now has a suitable dog..and shame on the rescue that rehomed the unsuitable one..good job you were there to help her

Nicnac

Visit site
What a lovely Monday morning thread. Well done OP for helping.

(not surprised by first rescue - it's all about numbers and ticking boxes unfortunately)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Lovely to hear she has a cuddly little dog to snuggle with. I love the rose bush idea for Bryn.

I'm hoping the older lady next door will let us wander her round the local rescue when the time comes. I would hate her to be without a dog.

misst

Visit site
Freckles if I thought it would make one iota of difference I would but I really don't think it would. M is not bothered about the money though she says she will not donate to them again. She is a fan of dogs trust now! The place is local to us and appears on TV sometimes but I am unimpressed by both the staff and the actual place. Battersea and Dogs Trust are so much more thorough and their staff so much more approachable and helpful. The RSPCA staff seemed to not be very knowledgeable and are never that keen to help there. While I was returning the dog another, very pleasant seeming, middle aged couple came in to ask about a rottie that had been there for a while.
The woman on the desk just stared at them. Eventually they said they had come about this dog. She just stared at them some more. Eventually they asked if there was any info on him and she pointed to a picture and narrative on the wall. Then they said was any chance of them seeing the dog and she pointed and said he is in the block over there.... hardly encouraging. The dog was still on the website several weeks later. They were unfriendly and unhelpful.

They also worried me when they had put the returned dog back on their site as good with dogs and children. I did have a word about that and it was changed but they were seemingly unaware of the consequences of any possible problems this dog may have.

I am not a fan of the RSPCA and never give to them so this just reinforced my previous views. I don't know if the staff are paid or if they volunteer there. If they volunteer it might explain why they did not take on board the issue with the dog coming back - but surely they have professional staff too.

Still, all's well that ends well!

Luci07

Visit site
Glad she persevered. Do wish I had known though as there are a large number of older soft staffords who don't get a look in because they are a: staffords b: older dogs. They are the last to get picked yet its the older ones who are big on the cuddles and soppiness.