udder/teat covers and creams for fly protection

mandwhy

Visit site
My poor golden one is getting very upset about the flies congregating around the inside of her legs and all over her teats and navel.

I bathe it often and slather the whole area in sudocreme or similar most days which seems to deter them and soothe any sore bits, but now its really hot it just melts off, flies are worse than before and she is really quite distressed by it, spends the day stamping and kicking up at them irritably :-(

Does anyone have the same problem and any tips? I am not sure udder cream would be better as it would also melt off? I got some of that horrible 'green gel' stuff that you put on wounds today, it is much like axle grease so I figured at least it would stick, and I should think flies don't bite through it, but it doesn't seem to deter them (it has deet but doesn't smell or anything).

She has a fly rug which I will put on tomorrow but it is this one area that she is bothered by and it doesn't cover (obviously with fly rugs also being for boys!). I have seen 'udder covers' which can be attached and essentially look like a rectangle of lycra... Does anyone have one of these, does it work (i wonder how it is attached and does it not fall down etc).

I also use various home made concoctions of citronella etc and have some coopers fly repellent but not sure about that if it is sore.

mynutmeg

Visit site
My mare gets very badly bitten there and I use NAF D-Itch ointment - it's kinda greasy so stops flies landing as well as having peppermint oils and several others that deter the flies. It also has benzylbenzoate so is soothing and can be used on broken skin, seems to feel good if my mare's reactions are anything to go by.
Only needs applied every other day or so and one tub (around £15-20) lasts us (with three horses) at least a year - am still using last years tub at the moment.
Works well inside ears as well and still works / doesn't come off in the sun (although goes a bit runny inside the tub)

The other thing I can recommend is a suckling foal - I haven't been able to 'gloop' Roo's actual udders (although have done surronding areas) this summer cause of foally but she doesn't seem to be getting bitten at all.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Have a look at or contact Premier Equine. My gelding has the same problem (sheath not teats!) and I looked at their sheath fly covers. I actually found it on their EBay store fairly cheap. I'd intended to buy one and somehow fit it to my current fly sheet if possible but was concerned how my horse would wee! Not a problem used with a mare though so worth a look x

Sammy1983

Visit site
Have a look at or contact Premier Equine. My gelding has the same problem (sheath not teats!) and I looked at their sheath fly covers. I actually found it on their EBay store fairly cheap. I'd intended to buy one and somehow fit it to my current fly sheet if possible but was concerned how my horse would wee! Not a problem used with a mare though so worth a look x

Where did you find these I would definitely like to see one, as my gelding sheath gets bitten badly

mandwhy

Visit site
Thanks for the cream recommendations everyone, I have put her fly rug on today (I had to fix broken bits!) and she seems a lot better with that on and the gruesome green greasey gel, but will look out for some of the better creams!

She absolutely loves having stuff applied, it's all the soft skin with the thinner hair - teats, inside of legs, navel is quite rubbed (she rolls then sits there rocking back and forth basically humping her own hoof!), I was wary she might kick me at first but now she stretches her legs into the best positions loving the sweet relief!

It was snuggy hoods where I saw the udder cover:

http://www.snuggyhoods.com/productDetail.asp?PID=49&categoryID=97

they do sheath covers too:

http://www.snuggyhoods.com/productDetail.asp?PID=58&categoryID=98

I was also confused about how they would wee!! By the look of it they wee through the mesh?! :-/ at least it is slightly less complex with a mare!

I think the udder cover is basically a rectangle of stretchy material, and as I have a mangled hood somewhere I was thinking of making one, with velcro along back of belly strap, then on each corner a string that would go up between her legs to where the fillet string goes... I think a dark colour will be best!