UK to US?

Dizzleton

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has emigrated to the USA from the UK (being a British Citizen) Did you take your horse or sell before you went? If you took your horse; was it ok with the flights/travel? Did it adapt well to a totally new environment?

Thank you :)

_GG_

Visit site
If you are able to make this happen, all I can say is well done, congratulations and I am extremely jealous!

Maybe ask in the comp section as to flying horses, but those I have known fly abroad for competition have been fine but they were very good travellers anyway, competing all over the country every week.

If I could...I would :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have done it the other way around; brought horses from the US to Ireland (and self; I am Irish and lived in the US for a decade). If anything the horses will do better in the US, the standard of feeding, training, general care tends to be very high over there IF you are in a horsey area. It's very different to here 'tho; be prepared for some major rethinks!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think it depends where you go. The USA is vast with huge differences in climate and therefore horse management. I've been out a lot as my sister lives there and has done for 38 years after doing her BHSAI and going on Camp America. She is very immersed in the horsey world of Virginia has run her own yard, been DC of the pony club, foxhunts and competes Recognised (affiliated) dressage. Care although different is not a million miles from what we do here imo and I've met some lovely horse people there too.

No idea on flights though - Firewell as someone just said has just emigrated to California so would be able to advise on her experiences of that side. Horse management issues when you get there though won't be exactly the same as going to Virginia or Montana as the climates are very different. I'm sure DoesDressage also emigrated to the US fairly recently too.

prosefullstop

Visit site
I moved to the US from the UK eleven years ago. I lived in NYC for ten years, and just moved to northern Fairfield County in Connecticut. It's a fairy horse-dense area, with some great riding trails and high-end competitions, especially if you're into the hunter/jumper scene.

I did not take a horse, but I am seriously considering importing a horse from Ireland, as the "good all-rounder" type is far less available in the US.

We're about to start building a horse barn and some paddocks on our property, too, as I'm not always keen on how horses are kept at livery, at least in this part of the US (minimal turnout in small paddocks, being my main gripe).

Where are you thinking of moving?

Spring Feather

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has emigrated to the USA from the UK (being a British Citizen) Did you take your horse or sell before you went? If you took your horse; was it ok with the flights/travel? Did it adapt well to a totally new environment?

Thank you :)
I sold two of my horses and brought one with me when I moved here 10 years ago. I moved in December so it was very mild in England when she left and very cold when she arrived over here. The shippers kept in touch with me at all stages so I always knew exactly where she was. They told me she travelled perfectly and with no issue. She did her quarantine at Cornell in New York and was there for a couple of days shy of one month. Cornell phoned me every single day to let me know how she was. I was concerned about the temperature differences but she acclimatised no problem at all.