Ulcer friendly feed for good doer?? Advice please!

HeyMich

Visit site
Hello lovely forum people!

My mare has just been scoped positive for ulcers (grade 2/3, probably been there since I bought her about 8 months ago). Basic details are: Mare, 16.2hh, 8 yr old, ISH, good doer (puts weight on easily in the spring/summer and slims down in autumn/winter), good condition/weight at present (slightly on the thin side but acceptable for winter), stabled at night with ad-lib haylege (no hay where we are), plenty of mixed forage during the day, in light work between 2-4 times per week, calm and gentle temperament but can be fizzy/stress in certain situations (travelling, shows etc). She has shown a few behavioral issues recently (napping/spooking) but I'm putting these down to the ulcers.

Currently she is fed once per day with one large scoop of grass/herbal chaff with 1 cup of Bailey’s No 14 (low-cal) balancing cubes. I am happy with her condition/weight/temperament, and feel she does not need additional calories, especially through the summer. However, I do feel she needs the mineral supplement, and I have been told by vet to feed fiber before riding/travelling to line her stomach. She has been sensitive to Alfalfa in the past, so I want to avoid that please.

She is on a full/part livery basis where the YO prepares feeds and brings horses in for us in the evenings. Plus, my tack room is tiny with only space for 2 feed bins. This means that I need the feed regime to be as simple as possible - not a scoop of this plus two scoops of that plus a sprinkle of a third...

She is on the prescribed vet medication for now (UlsaGold - liquid gold more like!), but as this comes to an end, I would like to feed her a more ulcer-friendly feed. I like the look of the all-in-one feeds (Ease & Excel, Healthy Tummy etc), but they can be quite high in calories, and most contain Alfalfa. Also Pink Mash, but have heard that it fizzes them up. Ulcer-friendly cubes, such as Ulsa Kind sound great, but again are quite calorific, and I would need an additional fiber source and mineral balancer! Gah!!

And the possible additional fibre source is turning my head inside out too - I've been told that grass chaff/chop is really high in sugars - straw chaff isn't good for ulcer horses - alfalfa doesn't suit her. I want to cry!

So, I need advice please... I need a simple feed recommendation that is 1) low in calories and sugar 2) easy to feed 3) not going to over feed/fizz her up 4) suitable to feed before riding/travelling when needed 5) help with gut health and reduce recurrence of ulcers and 6) have a suitable mineral balance and not too full of rubbish! Not asking for much, am i?!

Any suggestions?

Thanks all xx

ihatework

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with what you are feeding currently!
I’d stick with it, and consider adding protexin acid ease.
The ulcer specific feeds are designed more for horses needing calories in the form of oil & fibre rather than starch. But as you don’t need calories it’s not an issue.

Just something to bear in mind is sometimes ulcery horses can be better on hay than haylage. Although it does depend a bit on the haylage you are feeding.

be positive

Visit site
As above I see no reason to change and to keep things simple give her half her chop ration in her feed and the other half before riding, although in reality an extra scoop 2-4 days a week is fairly irrelevant in the overall scheme of things.

Escada2004

Visit site
I agree, would keep her on what she is on but maybe have a look at Nettex VIP Ulsa Shield. My SJ mare had suspected very low grade ulcers long story so wont bore you with it but since being on Ulsa Sheild she has been a different horse. Its also got some vits and mins in it. It does contain some Alfalfa meal but for the amount you feed i wouldnt have thought there was much in it, could be worth a try as i was really impressed with the results :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We had a couple with suspected ulcers when they arrived, we feed forage based feed only anyway, but we did give human grade aloe vera juice (about 15ml for the draught horse), which did seem to assist and may be worth thinking about when he is off the meds.

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks All!

You know, I hadn't even considered keeping her feed as is! I had just assumed that I needed to change it. I guess there are so many products on the market targeting the ulcer-horse (or their gullible owners!) specifically for this reason.

IHW - yes, I know hay is better, but the YO sources the large round bales of haylege (quite dry, almost like hay) for all the horses (hay is like hens teeth round here too!). The price is included in livery, and I imaging getting my own hay just for 1 horse, plus storage etc would be a complete ball ache! I like an easy life...

As for using a powdered supplement or Aloe juice - yes, I had considered this, but it would be getting into the realms of complicating the feeds. I'm more than happy to add extra stuff in when I'm there (2-4 days per week) but don't want to bother the YO when I'm not there. Don't get me wrong, the YO is fantastic, and she is administering the Ulsa-Gold paste every day for me just now, but I don't want to ask too much from her on a regular basis. Could either of these supplements work on an occasional basis, or do they need to build up in the system every day?

Escada2004

Visit site
Thanks All!

As for using a powdered supplement or Aloe juice - yes, I had considered this, but it would be getting into the realms of complicating the feeds. I'm more than happy to add extra stuff in when I'm there (2-4 days per week) but don't want to bother the YO when I'm not there. Don't get me wrong, the YO is fantastic, and she is administering the Ulsa-Gold paste every day for me just now, but I don't want to ask too much from her on a regular basis. Could either of these supplements work on an occasional basis, or do they need to build up in the system every day?

With the Nettex one its just one heaped scoop a day so not much to it, just mix it in the feed. I would imagine most need to be fed on a regular basis to have effect especially as your horses has been diagnosed with the ulcers but you would be best to contact Nettex with regards to the one i use as they would be able to advise you best :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'd swap to Pink Mash. Its 0.5% sugar and less than 3% starch and I find it amazing stuff! It actually does what it says it will. Fed at full dose which is only 100gms per 100kgs of bodyweight it also gives you a full dose of Protexin which also seems to work well :)

HeyMich

Visit site
I'd swap to Pink Mash. Its 0.5% sugar and less than 3% starch and I find it amazing stuff! It actually does what it says it will. Fed at full dose which is only 100gms per 100kgs of bodyweight it also gives you a full dose of Protexin which also seems to work well :)

Thanks for that LW. I really like the look of pink mash, but have read some bad reviews. Great to hear it works well for you! Do you feed the pink mash with chaff or a balancer too or just on its own?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine doesnt get it now, but he just had that with a powder mineral supplement, mainly for his feet. I think most of the people who dont like it are concerned about it containing soya, and I wouldnt feed soya oil as it turns every horse I know loopy, but pink mash is soya hulls and had no effect on mines behaviour, which is unusual as everything else sends him bonkers!

HeyMich

Visit site
Mine doesnt get it now, but he just had that with a powder mineral supplement, mainly for his feet. I think most of the people who dont like it are concerned about it containing soya, and I wouldnt feed soya oil as it turns every horse I know loopy, but pink mash is soya hulls and had no effect on mines behaviour, which is unusual as everything else sends him bonkers!

Thanks again LW! Looks like PM with the low-cal balancer is the way to go.

But, just hang on one cotton-pickin minute!! A curved ball on the horizon...

I've just seen that Bailey's do a product called Keep Calm. It's based on their speedi-beet, with added minerals, linseed, vit E, pre-biotics! Could this be the magic all-in-one product I am looking for? It says it's high fiber, low cal, non-heating, added vits and mins, pre-biotics... Anyone have any strong views either way? Could this be the holy grail...?

Squeak

Visit site
If your horse developed ulcers whilst being on this feed and in the same routine then I would say you HAVE to change what you're feeding and/or your routine etc as something must have caused the ulcers.

Leo Walker

Visit site
this is the ingredients in the TBs

Composition: Dried Bavarian alpine grasses and herbs, Oat Bran, Apple Pomace, Patented Fermented Extract of Jerusalem Artichoke, Esparsette, Psyllium Husk, Toasted Linseed Crumble, Oat Oil, Linseed Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Prebiotic Yeast, Lecithin, Fenugreek, Barberry Bark.

I've heard anecdotal things about oat oil and its all Astrids oil is. Not something I'd feed though esp not at £58.50 a sack!