Ulcer meds calculations

chaps89

Visit site
Dosage instructions state:
Omeprazole, 2 sachets per day for weeks 1-6, so that would be 2 sachets times 7 days in a week equals 14 sachets a week, times by 6 is 84. Then weeks 6-8 the same, 2 sachets daily if needed, so potentially taking it up to 112 sachets.
So why is an 8 week supply listed as 168 sachets? Am I missing something?!

Same with the sulcrafate
Weeks 1-3 6 sachets per day so that is 6 sachets times 7 days equals 42 sachets a week, times 3 weeks is 126.
Then weeks 3-8 is 4 sachets per day, so 28 sachets in a week times 5 weeks is 140. Grand total 266, but sold in a quantity of 336 for an 8 week supply.

Is my maths wrong or is it the online company? (No discussion please re the company itself and whether it’s right to use them or not)

Birker2020

Visit site
Dosage instructions state:
Omeprazole, 2 sachets per day for weeks 1-6, so that would be 2 sachets times 7 days in a week equals 14 sachets a week, times by 6 is 84. Then weeks 6-8 the same, 2 sachets daily if needed, so potentially taking it up to 112 sachets.
So why is an 8 week supply listed as 168 sachets? Am I missing something?!

Same with the sulcrafate
Weeks 1-3 6 sachets per day so that is 6 sachets times 7 days equals 42 sachets a week, times 3 weeks is 126.
Then weeks 3-8 is 4 sachets per day, so 28 sachets in a week times 5 weeks is 140. Grand total 266, but sold in a quantity of 336 for an 8 week supply.

Is my maths wrong or is it the online company? (No discussion please re the company itself and whether it’s right to use them or not)
Because you have missed out the days 29-31 in the calendar month I would suspect. I.e. there are not four weeks in a month.

w1bbler

Visit site
Is the dosage depending on weight, 8 week supply for an 18hh draught & you are calculating on a 14.2 pony? 🤷‍♀️

Also I believe the omeprazole should be tapered, so couple of weeks at half dose at maintenance, so useful if you have spare.

(P.S I used the online supplier years ago & it worked brilliantly, can't remember anything about doses though)

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Is it an 8 week supply with extra sachets then to wean horse off?
With Ulcer meds like this the dose should be tapered off not just stopped.
So 8 week dose plus tapering off?

Melody Grey

Visit site
When I’ve used this (and it does work!), I’ve always ordered a little over knowing that I’ve some to re-start again if needed because the shipping takes a little time.

Tapering off is a good idea as others have said. If we’re talking about the same company, they used to do omeprazole and sucralfate combined- that might work out more cost effective?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would just buy the extra 8 weeks supply is not long most horses I have known need to be on it longer, then at least you won't have to order more which could take time and you won't want to run out.