Ulcer symptoms? Or something else?

Pennythetank

Visit site
I'm currently riding a cob at the moment for someone and need a little advice at the moment. He is displaying some symptoms that seem to point me, the owner and vet towards ulcers but we were wondering if anybody had any experiences that might help us pin point the issue.
We are working with a very good vet at the moment but am asking on here in case anyone has ideas that might help us speed up the diagnosis.
Cob is 13 and a hunter (I'm only riding him to give him extra exercise) He is out at grass 24/7 and during the winter got a hoof supplement in a handful of coarse mix. He has been off that since late February. Nothing else has changed in his management for the last 12 months, same fields (rotated) and same companions(he is lowest on the pecking order)
Around early summer he began mild head shaking when ridden by anyone other than his regular riders but that progressed to him head shaking mildly for everyone. Saddle and back was checked and teeth were done.
Around a month after he first started head shaking he stopped for a good 2/3 weeks. He then got 4 weeks off (he gets a holiday like this every year at the end of summer) and has been coming back into work.
He began head shaking again, and again saddle, back and teeth were looked at. All came back clear and he was continued to be worked very lightly under vets advice in order to continue to exaime and assess symptoms (owner was advised that unless any more symptoms presented themselves it was going to be hard to pinpoint problem as there was no clear area in which to start)
In the last few days he has begun to not bite at girth area when ridden but look back at it. Vet is coming out in the next few days to scope for ulcers and cob will not be ridden again until that result comes back.
No other symptoms have presented themselves other than the mild head shaking and now the looking back whilst being ridden, cob is happy to be tacked up etc, and unless ulcers comes back the next step will be full nerve blocks, x rays and scans. Owner just wants to do the best by the horse and has fully followed vets advice in all steps.
Anyone have any idea about these symptoms? Do they sound like ulcers? Or do these point to a totally different thing that we are missing? Obviously everything will be checked out but ideas welcome.
Can't offer anything other than a half empty can of coke to anyone who managed to read that whole ramble but thanks 😊
PTT

nato

Visit site
Would just focus on resolving the headshaking myself.doesn't sound like ulcers to me but a scope would tell you that straight away.

JoClark

Visit site
It could be worth checking for piece of mind.
However head shaking could be other things, did you say dentist has been? Checked bits not sharp? Maybe hay fever? Could try an equilibrium nose net or something similar. Runny nose at all?or eyes?
Not all horses bite in the girth area, ears back, tail swishing etc could all indicate ulcers

Pennythetank

Visit site
Ok thanks guys 😊 yes dentist has been twice in the last 3 months and nothing of concern has been found in the mouth.
Is there any tests for hay fever? Or is it just a case of keep trying nets and stuff untill we find something that works? And any tests for neurological problems?

Ceriann

Visit site
My mare has always lived out, isn't the stressy type and looked well - I eventually got her scoped after looking at various other options for general grumpiness, reluctance to go forwards etc. She had grade 2 ulcers, and the vet thought she'd had the a while and had potentially had flare ups. She's a different animal post treatment.

catkin

Visit site
Perhaps ask the vet to do a blood test, including minerals, as well - if it turns out to be ulcers (and they can be found in the most surprising horses) it will help with formulating his diet if nothing else, or it may give some clues of whether he is short of minerals or there'ssomething else going on. We found it extremely useful when my horse was diagnosed with hind gut acidosis and it's helped since to work out her management.

Fransurrey

Visit site
My mare is a real stress head and lives out 24/7. She shows signs of hind gut problems when she's had too much grass. I've had her restricted all Spring and Summer, but my energiser broke the evening I left for a 4 day trip to Poland recently. She basically barged through the fence whenever she fancied and bloated. Aside from turning into a fruitloop, she turned to look at the girth this week when I tacked her up and bronced when I put my leg on her side, so the muzzle is back on and she's going for walks rather than rides. So it's worth considering grass as a trigger, especially as we're now getting sunny and showery days, which is what has tipped her over the edge.

SarahM

Visit site
I'm currently riding a cob at the moment for someone and need a little advice at the moment. He is displaying some symptoms that seem to point me, the owner and vet towards ulcers but we were wondering if anybody had any experiences that might help us pin point the issue.
We are working with a very good vet at the moment but am asking on here in case anyone has ideas that might help us speed up the diagnosis.
Cob is 13 and a hunter (I'm only riding him to give him extra exercise) He is out at grass 24/7 and during the winter got a hoof supplement in a handful of coarse mix. He has been off that since late February. Nothing else has changed in his management for the last 12 months, same fields (rotated) and same companions(he is lowest on the pecking order)
Around early summer he began mild head shaking when ridden by anyone other than his regular riders but that progressed to him head shaking mildly for everyone. Saddle and back was checked and teeth were done.
Around a month after he first started head shaking he stopped for a good 2/3 weeks. He then got 4 weeks off (he gets a holiday like this every year at the end of summer) and has been coming back into work.
He began head shaking again, and again saddle, back and teeth were looked at. All came back clear and he was continued to be worked very lightly under vets advice in order to continue to exaime and assess symptoms (owner was advised that unless any more symptoms presented themselves it was going to be hard to pinpoint problem as there was no clear area in which to start)
In the last few days he has begun to not bite at girth area when ridden but look back at it. Vet is coming out in the next few days to scope for ulcers and cob will not be ridden again until that result comes back.
No other symptoms have presented themselves other than the mild head shaking and now the looking back whilst being ridden, cob is happy to be tacked up etc, and unless ulcers comes back the next step will be full nerve blocks, x rays and scans. Owner just wants to do the best by the horse and has fully followed vets advice in all steps.
Anyone have any idea about these symptoms? Do they sound like ulcers? Or do these point to a totally different thing that we are missing? Obviously everything will be checked out but ideas welcome.
Can't offer anything other than a half empty can of coke to anyone who managed to read that whole ramble but thanks 😊
PTT
Hi, I'm currently experiencing similar can I ask if he did have ulcers please? Thank you