Ulcer treatment - Slippery Elm?

montysmum1

Visit site
I just thought I'd bring this back to near the top, as I've been Googling for my horse's current colic issue, and for a couple of others who are asking re ulcers!

I have found this a useful thread, thank you to those who started it and commented!

ridewell

www.ridewelltraining.com
I just thought I'd bring this back to near the top, as I've been Googling for my horse's current colic issue, and for a couple of others who are asking re ulcers!

I have found this a useful thread, thank you to those who started it and commented!

thank you all ;-) most useful I have a holstein dressage horse with me that suddenly became grumpy with grooing and saddling a few months ago, having been perfect before, also hard to keep weight on, and occassionally bucks at my leg on hios side...pretty sure he has ulcers ;-(

how stressful is the scoping, I wouldnt want something shoved up my nose!! Im thinkignm about treating with gastrgard from my vet without scoping and seeing if symptons resolve.

hes already on adlib haylage but maybe it needs to be hay and i will start some heral treatments ;-) and feed from trickle net ;-)

JillA

Visit site
For treatment or management, basically you need to consider three things - reduce the acidity on the system (low sugar/starch diet, bicarbonate of soda, omeprazole etc) boost the mucus lining (coconut oil, slippery elm, liquorice etc) promote healing if you can (aloe vera for example) and boost the gut bacteria with probiotic such as yeasacc. It is all on this very helpful website http://equinenutritionnerd.com/2014...tions-for-stomach-ulcer-treatment-prevention/
Mine responded well to omeprazole with bicarb, coconut oil and yeasacc and has not recurred as he never has an empty stomach or excess sugars/starches in his diet.