Ulcers.....Anyone with Experience?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She lets me know! Tail swishing if I brush her belly or put my leg on too strongly, ears back and barring teeth in the stable, having to do her girth up very slowly, and if I don't talk to her while I do it she lets me know! Sh'e s really placid character usually, but when her stomach is sore she tells me loud and clear! I just feel bad that it still gets sore and we haven't found the magic cure.

We had a full lameness work-up with the vet a few weeks ago, and they couldn't see any other signs of pain - hocks, stifles, SI etc all ok. She had a tender back, so whether the ulcers are causing her to tense up and hold her back into spasm, or whether the sore back is causing the ulcers, I don't know. Physio/chiro booked for next week, and then we'll be scoping again I think....

Trouble is, she's not a typical ulcer horse at all! She's big and chunky and doesn't lose weight much. When I tell people that she's my ulcer horse they think I'm joking. Poor poppet!

I had a big Westphalian Draft horse obese and showed signs of ulcers when I got her with badly fitting tack and a history of sugary/starchy feed over the last 9 months. I didn't have her scoped but did rectify all the obvious contributory problems and also gave her Aloe Vera juice. I am not suggesting that AV would cure severe ulcers but it did seem to ease my mare's discomfort.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Can I ask which Protexin are you using, is it the Acid Ease?
Yes, it’s acid ease. It’s a great product but you might find it expensive- I was spending about £65/ month for two on a maintenance dose. I started a thread on here recently asking for advice on alternatives (search for it?).

Pink mash contains protexin and I am starting changing mine over to that tomorrow so will update the forum with how it goes.

Tala08

Visit site
Yes, it’s acid ease. It’s a great product but you might find it expensive- I was spending about £65/ month for two on a maintenance dose. I started a thread on here recently asking for advice on alternatives (search for it?).

Pink mash contains protexin and I am starting changing mine over to that tomorrow so will update the forum with how it goes.

Great thank you, I've found your other thread.
I look forward to hearing how you get on with the Pink Mash, hopefully it'll be a good alternative.

ponios

Visit site
In addition to other things mentioned above I also feed rapeseed oil. I was already feeding ulcer friendly feed, adlib hay, 12 hours T/O in winter and 24 hours in summer so vet looked up if there was anything that could be improved and he sent me some research papers that suggested rapeseed oil could have a positive impact so I switched out linseed oil to rapeseed.

arizonalover1

Visit site
So Thursday of easter my mare was scoped for ulcers and came back with Grade 3 Ulcers over entire stomach. She is now currently on Ulcer Gold syringe every morning and omeprazole type powder in feed in the evening. This is to continue for 4 weeks and then it will be halved.

Shes currently to have 2 weeks off riding (though was rested a week prior to scope as well) and then bring back into work. I continue to free lunge/lunge and hand walk regularly. She has 3 meals a day morning, prior to exercise and evening feed (baileys ease & excel), she has turnout during the day and stabled for night (her normal routine).
The difference in her in the past week has been fantastic, her excessive spookiness has gone, shes looking happier in herself and the tail swishing from touching underneath has significantly reduced. However last night she came in and was sensitive to touch again. People who have experienced ulcers in horses have you noticed the symptoms coming and going while giving the treatment? It's only been just nearly two weeks so I don't expect miracles but curious to what others have experienced?
if there’s something i’ve learned it’s ulcers!!
My horse was the worst, broncing, bucking, bolting, tail swishing, slight lameness due to stomach pain, you name it, he had it! he also lost a lot of weight.
We put him on all hay (especially alfalfa) which helped a lot!! he gained weight and seemed to be okay. We’re treating him with the powder form of omprezole. He gets his meal with rice bran (low on starch and basically just fat so he gains his weight and doesn’t get grumpy from all the sugars in normal grain) After putting him on ulcer guard. Seriously improving. even starting to jump again!! love him, just have to keep his life stress free as possible