Ulcers - Hay better than haylage??

maggiesmum

Visit site
I read recently on here people saying that hay is better than haylage for horses with or susceptible to ulcers, just wondered if theres any more info about it? Does anyone have any opinions or theories?

Tammytoo

Visit site
I would agree, on the basis that haylage already is acidic while hay is neutral, just dry grass.
Also you can feed it 24/7 with less chance of obesity.

Agree.

Avoid anything even slightly acidic for horses with ulcers - it can irritate the stomach lining making them worse.

Nari

Visit site
While I know their advice may well be biased I spoke to Marksway about this a few months ago because my horse with a history of ulcers had suddenly decided he didn't like hay, & I'd tried a few different types from different suppliers, but would merrily pig large quantities of HorseHage. Being a perverse so & so he'd condescend to eat some hay if he had a net of hay & a net of HorseHage so he could pick & choose, mix the two together & he wouldn't touch it at all - I was about tearing my hair out. They said that HorseHage, & many modern drier haylages, aren't a problem for ulcer prone horses because they aren't as acidic as the older style, wetter haylages were. Certainly I don't seem to be having any problems (touch wood) & in his case I'd rather feed HorseHage & hay & have him eat plenty of fibre than only hay & have him eating far too little.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Mine have a good quality haylage from a local farm. My gelding has about a third of a bale of hay at night and a small net of haylage - he ALWAYS stuffs the haylage down first:rolleyes: but it isn't causing any problems with his ulcers and is helping keep his weight on as thanks to NO rain here last year we have little or no grass.....:eek:

Azbo

Visit site
Mines being scoped on Friday but saw the vet today. I asked about haylege as mine is on this (due to turning his nose up at soaked hay but not being allowed it dry as he coughs his guts up, he'd rather starve and give himself ulcer..). Vet said there was no reason to stop feeding this even if the scope is positive.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had several horses come here who turned out to have ulcers we feed haylage have continued to do so and only one horse had an on going problem with ulcers and she had numerous health issues and the ulcers where probally secondary to those issues.
however I am careful to keep all other feed as grain free and low sugar as possible.