Ulcers? Hormonal? Or just mares and winter?

KarlyHT

Visit site
Hi all, just looking for some advice and opinions.

My mare is seven this year and I have had her for 11 months so this has been our first winter together.

Her behaviour has definitely changed over the last two months. She is a lot sharper, a bit spooky and generally feeling very well in herself. But this is fine and I would expect this to a certain degree in winter!

She has always been a bit funny with you touching the underside of her tummy and is sometimes a bit tetchy when the girth is being done up but nothing major. Some days are worse than others. Some days she can be absolutely fine ridden, very accepting of the leg and other days she will buck in protest.

Her stools are firm, she seems happy in herself but is very tense when being ridden at the moment. She is grumpy towards other horses and had a major paddy in the dressage warm up yesterday as another horse cantered towards her! How dare they! The word tense featured 14 times on our test sheets yesterday!

All checks are up to date - she had a brand new saddle in July which has been checked and reflocked twice since including another check last weekend. Back is fine and she has been seen four times by a McTimony practitioner. Teeth all fine too. Feet are fine and there are no other issues.

She is a lot fitter than when I first got her. She is worked at least 5 times a week. Normally 2 x schooling (flat work/jumping/competition/clinic), 2 x hacking including trotting roadwork and fast work in the summer and 1 x lunged in a Pessoa. She is turned out daily from 8am - 3pm (weather dependent!) and is stabled over night. She is fed 2 x day on healthy tummy and sugar beet and ad lib hay.

Her behaviour is not consistent - some days she can be good as gold and then other days not want to go forward, buck going into canter, not wanting to focus on anything, even squealing at jumps she doesn't like the look of!

So is it just winter blues due to reduced turnout and the fact she could do with a good gallop or could it be ulcers, or even hormonal? I know there are loads of threads on this but would really like specific advice.

I have very good instructors and have weekly lessons and the most amazing yard owner and even they can't seem to pin down what the issue is. Is it just mares??

Thanks for reading! Also posted in TR.

lottiepony

Visit site
just a thought but is she coming into season? does her behavior normally change with her seasons? With this mild weather my mare has just started her first season of the year, her next door male neighbor has had to move field as was all a bit too flirty yesterday! now off to stock up on her Hormonise supplement!

DonkeyClub

Visit site
Pretty much every horse seems to be cranky and sharp at the moment because of the weather, having less turn out & often being on haylage that is too rich for them!

Is she on hay or haylage? Has her feed been cut down? Also try Suceed, a supplement you can get from vets, apparently it's amazing with ulcery/ stressy horses...not tried it but people absolutely swear by it - Genuine brilliant results , horses putting on condition are are MUCH more relaxed

KarlyHT

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. No haylage just good quality hay. I may take a trip to my local tack shop this evening to look at some supplements. Have been reading up on aloe vera being good and also bicarb of soda if anyone has any experience of those?

Someone else mentioned yesterday that they thought their mare was coming into season so it's a possibility. I have never noticed it much in the summer months but guess everything is exaggerated when it's gale force winds and freezing :)

Jane_Lou

Visit site
Our mare is quite sharp at the moment, she gets quite "extreme" in the summer when in season and we have to keep her away from the boys as much as possible! She will go onto Oestress very soon now as she has definitely shown early signs of coming in season and is grumpier than she was a couple of weeks ago. She gets very reactive to the leg and grumpy about rugs but not girthing or being brushed - when is season she becomes very self opinionated and any poor gelding within 50 foot is a target either for lust or serious face pulling!

We had her on a high dose of oestress for most of last summer and she was much better, we switched to a cheaper supplement later in the summer and that was a mistake! It just didn't have the effect that the Oestress had, this year we will just stick with what works!

Supanova

Visit site
My mare has been a bit of a nightmare recently so i have put her on regumate and it has really calmed her down. My instructor was also saying that mares are all over the place with their seasons this winter because its been fairly mild and no real cold spells. May be worth trying regumate and seeing if it helps?

KarlyHT

Visit site
Thank you for your replies. Good to know I'm not in my own.

I started her on a gut balancer and aloe vera juice today. Will be interesting if that makes any difference. If it does then I will go down the ulcer investigations.

I may look into oestress as I have heard good things about it.

Much appreciated!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Another one thinking perhaps she could be coming into season . . . one of the mares at ours (the most mare-ish) is in season now . . . she can't decide whether to bite Kali or squirt at him ;).

Good luck with your girl and I hope you get to the bottom of what's troubling her.

P

TarrSteps

Visit site
A lot of horses are very tense and cranky right now and frankly, I don't blame them!

The mares might very well be struggling as we've had such a warm winter and now the days are drawing out (it's light more than temperature that's the trigger) so it's possible you are seeing seasonal issues. You can try the various supplements - they work for some - although Regumate will give you a more definitive result.

Allover

Visit site
IME hormonal mares act differently to horses with Ulcers. From a handling point of view they will generally behave when asked if their hormones are playing up (unless of course the hormonal issues cause pain rather than just a bit of grumpiness) whilst with ulcers they get more "upset" because it hurts. Without seeing her its difficult but from what you have described I would opt for a course of Ulcer treatment to see if there is any improvement. If it is hormonal I would have expected you to have had these sorts of issues before.

KarlyHT

Visit site
Thanks everyone!! Really appreciate your responses!

Glad it's not just me who is baffled! although some signs do point to ulcers/gut problems she doesn't tick all the boxes!! And again with coming into season, ticks some of the criteria but no winking/squirting etc.

So the definitive diagnosis I am going for is a combination of gut problems (possible mild ulcers), hormonal issues, being a mare and it being winter so no fast work, reduced turnout, being fitter and just generally being a diva. Does that sound about right? ;)

Do let me know if you have any more thoughts at all! Hopefully the aloe vera and gut supplement will provide some comfort if it is that.

pearcider

Visit site
I'd have a chat with your vet. Usually this time of year it's not a seasonal thing.
We have a mare that has got a little sharp in the winter we are almost convinced it's due to seratona levels something to look in to?