Ulcers, moody mare, or...?

junglefairy

Visit site
I have had this mare for 2 months. She displays the following behaviours which have made me suspicious of an underlying problem, possibly ulcers. I'm going to speak to a vet but would be interested to get others opinions.

- Very sensitive/raises hind leg as if to kick when belly being brushed
- Nappy, but this has improved massively with work
- Moves off the leg in trot and canter but as soon as move down to walk she tries to stop. She also doesn't move forward when first mounted.
- pulls faces when being girthed
- yawns when bring tacked up
- grabs bit and has worn teeth from this (I suspect her saddle didn't fit well before I bought her as she was grumpy to be saddled at viewing. Since I've bought a new saddle she's fine until being girthed)
- chews lead rope/anything she can get hold of
- although worse when in season she's generally grumpy
- when initially tacked up won't stride out but fine after a minute

Other relevant points:
- she's a good doer
- she has an excellent appetite
- she lives out and always has done
- she's been used as a general riding horse, minimal stress or competitions
- she's had teeth and saddle checked, both fine

Geek

Visit site
My one with suspected ulcers, droppped pretty much all the above symptoms when I put him on to Equine America's U gaurd (he is also a chronic windsucker and even stopped doing that!!) - it's about £25 a bottle that lasts for about two months I think so possibly worth giving a go with your mare?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I suspected the same with my gelding, he's quite similar apart from he was getting really pee'd off with me every time I put my leg on.

someone suggested giving him a small feed before I ride, so I've started giving fast fibre about 20 mins before! and have also started him on pink powder. he has only pinned his ears back once or twice since, when I've tried to do his girth up! he's much happier when I put my leg on now.

so if you haven't been feeding before riding, maybe try that before spending the money on scoping?

nato

Visit site
I suspected the same with my gelding, he's quitesimilar apart from he was getting really pee'd off with me every time I put my leg on.

someone suggested giving him a small feed before I ride, so I've started giving fast fibre about 20 mins before! and have also started him on pink powder. he has only pinned his ears back once or twice since, when I've tried to do his girth up! he's much happier when I put my leg on now.

so if you haven't been feeding before riding, maybe try that before spending the money on scoping?

Kezzabell - when you say feeding do you mean just a handful of feed? I'm interested to try this - my horse gets fed about an hour before I get there, or if I'm early I'll feed her after I ride, but it's a big enough feed. How much do you feed and would you give the full feed after riding then?

damo

New User
Visit site
Hi just joined, having a nightmare with my mare, same symptoms, started on the 19th nov, just came in from field took rug off & starting to kick out, immediately thought colic, anyway she didn't, she's had bloods done all perfect, a mountain antibiotics & went onto regumate went slightly better, but now starting all up again, tail swishing & General looks unhappy, it always starts when I take the rug off & now spots have accursed in the flank area, bloody nightmare, too look at her when she keeps still looks the healthy horse.

JDH01

Visit site
Hack up do a mare supplement which covers moody mares and is a stomach calmer for stress horses, it works for mine better than the vets options e.g. Regumate

Notimetoride

Visit site
I would definitely suspect ulcers. My horse, who showed very few if any signs, was recently diagnosed with grade 3 ulcers which were bleeding. These horses of our are so stoic, and just seem to carry on even though they are in great pain. Do please have her scoped and treat accordingly. She will love you for helping her. If it is not ulcers, then you can start a process of elimination until you find the problem.