Ulcers or something else?

Spacejet

Visit site
Hello

Before i get started,I have had the vet out for my horse and he's due to be scoped on Tuesday morning, I just wanted other thoughts and ideas from others who have had similar issues, if they had ulcers and if medication from vet fixed them totally or if they've supplemented further to stop it happening again.

3 weeks ago horse started getting visibly upset with me being on his left side. This horse is a big cuddlebug, you can hang off him touch him anywhere, do anything to him and he never ever pulls a face or reacts hes the sweetest chilled guy ever.
He pulled faces on his left side when tied outside stable, progressed to whipping his head around like he wanted to bite when touchinf under his tummy towards flanks, now pulls faces whenever I'm near him and tried to bite me when I rubbed his shoulder. Oddly, if i hand graze him he doesnt seem that bothered and i can groom him while his mind is on food.
Hes also appearing lethargic on inhand walks, grumpy and dull in general.
Yesterday grabbing him and other horse in from field he attempted to back into and kick other horse which he has NEVER done, definitely not horse aggresive and he was incredibly bulshy again not like him.

Hes also wearing his right hoof down at an angle (barefoot) so the inside is longer than the outside.

I feel really down as my lovely boy has completely changed, i just want to cuddle him and make him better as something is clearly bothering him but I'm so helpless and he doesn't want cuddles!

Added gut balancer past 2 weeks made no difference, also tried epsom salts.

Again vet is coming tues to scope, just wanted to get it all off mt chest i think as hes my heart horse.

be positive

Visit site
The only horse I have had with suspected ulcers scoped clear, he had a lot of signs, we went on to nvestigate further and found a slight inbalance in his front feet which looked fine outwardly, he was sound and the vet was not going to xray, the xrays surprised him, they were addressed and the grumpy behaviour and other issues went away.

Unless you have made a change to his diet, routine or something else to upset him I would be looking at why his foot is wearing unevenly and not just at possible ulcers as they rarely get them without an underlying cause.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Left side is not the normal side for an ulcer reaction. Scoping probably won't hurt but I'm guessing your vet also needs to look at causes for that right foreleg change.

Spacejet

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I stupidly forgot to mention the inbalanced foot to the vet so I'll pick that up with her on Tues when she's there for the scope. I think i focused on the behavioural changes as they were harder to mute..
Would leg issues cause all of these other issues? ?