Ulcers?

friesianfan69

Visit site
My pony is refusing to canter, leaps, skips and if you push him he bucks.
Teeth reg done, saddle fine and had physio and chiropractor.
Not tracking up
Properly behind.
A few people have mention stomach ulcers but other then bucking he don’t show any other signs.
Just wondered what people’s experiences are?
He has got a full work up on Monday at the vets.

scats

Visit site
Hocks, hindlegs or sacroiliac would be my first thoughts.
Had exactly the same symptoms with mine- went from skipping in canter and switching legs to complete refusal to canter, bucking and slamming on and refusing to go forwards. Physio couldn’t spot anything majorly wrong. Mild lack of tracking up behind but wasn’t lame at the time. Sent her in for scans and it was PSD.

scats

Visit site
Did your horse recover ok?

She was diagnosed in May this year and I opted to give her a year off instead of put her through surgery. No idea whether she will come back ok for ridden work. Her damage is actually fairly minimal, but she seems to be extremely reactive about it. Vets were pretty pessimistic about her overall outcome unfortunately.
I do know some people have had success with surgery.

scats

Visit site
Funny you should say about walk and trot hacking. Mine was fine with that too. She would even canter out hacking. This is why I was initially confused about her reaction in the school, but vets said she was likely experiencing more discomfort around corners and so opted to refuse to do it completely in the school after a while.

scats

Visit site
I bought him as had to retire my friesian 2 yrs ago at 12yrs old so this is totally gutting.
I dont need two field ornaments :(

Try not to panic just yet. Get a work up done at the vets and take it from there. It could also be hocks, which can often be successfully medicated.

I do feel your pain though. Mine was to replace 2 other broken horses, then I ended up with 3! Fortunately I now have another riding horse so it’s no major problem if P doesn’t come back to any work. She’s only 8 though, so it’s quite sad.

fairyclare

Visit site
Everything Scats has said - ulcers are possibly present now as they are very closely linked to pain but I would be more inclined to start with a lameness work up than head immediately for a scope and ulcer treatment - often ulcers are the red herring and as soon as treatment stops they return because the original issue is still present.

Let us know how you get on at the vets on Monday x