Ulcers

emaR

Visit site
Evening all

So, horse has Ulcers - vet has explained all feed options with me, the maximum of 11% sugar and starch combination was tuff but once you hunt it's quite easy to find.

Vet also gave me some recommendations - however, one of the things she said was to watch out for rough/sharp chaff. She made me grab a handful of my current chaff and squeeze it explaining " can you feel the sharp bits " there wasn't many but I could see what she meant.

Among a few, Dengie Healthy tummy was one that got recommended...now I've brought a bag and opened it tonight and it's as rough as a badgers ar*#!! Literally like I picked up a handful of bark 🙈🙈 complete contradiction to what the vet has said.

Does anyone know of any soft chaff that is suitable for ulcers please?

emaR

Visit site
I'm so confused why she would suggest that feed when it feels so hard so if anyone does have an explanation I'd be greatful 🙏🏻

TBConvert

New User
Visit site
I'm so confused why she would suggest that feed when it feels so hard so if anyone does have an explanation I'd be greatful 🙏🏻
Harsh chops can cause mechanical trauma and damage the intestinal linings, causing more inflammation where there already is some recovering.

My ex-racehorse is on ulcer and laminitis feed management due to concussive laminitis and going mental on high sugar feeds.

He gets Dengie Meadowgrass Lite, which is combined chopped straw (I find this type of chaff really soft) and chopped grass with very low combined sugar and starch %. I didn’t want a complete grass chaff due to high natural sugar level, so a mix with straw was good for him. It also has herbs in, so smells lovely and he’s obsessed!

My other veteran gets mollichaff veteran and it’s an incredibly soft chaff. The other ranges are just as soft, but do have a molasses coating so would need to look at the %s. I think calmer complete and life molasses free are low in sugar and starch.

You’d be needing to look for a low starch, low sugar, high fiber diet - so try looking at laminitis type feed. And you would probs need a general purpose vit & min supplement if you also have poor grass growth to make up for the lack of essential vits and mins (unless a complete chaff) if feeding straw chaffs.

He also gets Keyflow pink mash for pre and probiotics and help him get more water in his diet as he has had previous impactation colic.

I avoid all cereals and he can’t have molasses either. He does get micronised linseed meal which has done wonders for him to stay a healthy weight and his coat is lovely and soft.