Ultimate high to rock bottom in a couple of hours :(

Gypley

Visit site
Yesterday afternoon was lovely, cleared the field of poo (always makes me feel like I've had a productive day :D)
Then decided I'd do some desensitising with baby horse. So I set up a 'road network' of poles to pick our way through, tarps to talk over, black sacks poked into the top of traffic cones flapping in the wind, and scary coloured planks lent against jump wings to step over.
I put on my hat and gloves and braced myself for being jumped on by spooked baby horse ..... The result?
He didn't bat an eyelid at anything!!!
Walked straight onto the tarps, stood still and licked it to death, he even pulled the sacks out of the top of the traffic cone and waved them around in his mouth!!
I was a gobsmacked, proud mumma and went home on a high :D :D

So I got home and there was no dog rubbing around my legs to greet me, cue instant panic. She was laid in the conservatory and would not move. Even with tempting her with a roast potato she could not lift her back end. So I phoned my mum, but could not get through. Then phoned the boyfriend who was an absolute star and rushed straight over. I phoned the emergency vet and got her straight there, the vet diagnosed a possible slipped disc but she would need to X-ray in the morning to be sure. Daisy's back legs were completly paralised.
She's currently on a weight loss programme as she's awaiting an cruciate ligament operation and now with the possible slipped disc, the odds were stacking against her of ever making a full recovery. Multiple surgeries are a big ask of a Rottweiler.
At 1am this morning we made the heartbreaking decision to have my beautiful rottie PTS. As I felt that there was too much stacked against her to put her through all the physio and operations.
She was the best dog I have ever had and the guilt of having to make that final decision is completly eating me up.
Sorry for burdening you all with this but it's just nice to be able to vent.
RIP my beautiful girl xxx

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Sadly the last loving act we can do for our beloved animals is to allow them a quick release from their pain and suffering. Be sad that you have lost a loved friend but be glad for her that she went peacefully before any more suffering and bewilderment at what was happening to her.

THe happy memories will come back.

Superhot

Visit site
Oh no, what an awful decision you've had to make, but how very loving of you to put your dogs feelings before your own...Big Hugs coming your way, and know that in time, you will be able to remember her and smile rather than cry...

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
So sorry hunny.

It's pants when we have to make that decision. I had to do it for my big lass. Cut me to pieces. Me, D, and the vet all lying on the floor with her crying as she slipped away, peacefully and not ever to face the pain of slowly dying on her own (she had bloat that couldn't be controlled despite a middle of the night emergency op).

Hugs to you.

Sprig

Visit site
Poor you! Well done for making the decision so quickly though, it sounds like it was the right one. Our ridgeback x had arthritis in her hips and deteriorated gradually. As it was we had her put to sleep a month or so ago as we could not keep on top of it. My husband works away and she was his dog so really I think we kept the dog alive a bit too long so he could get back to see her. At least you know your lovely dog is no longer suffering and it was all relatively quick in the end.

Gypley

Visit site
Thank you everyone. She was only 5 but at 2 had ready had an operation on both front legs to remove some loose cartilage.
As I said, she was on a weight loss programme to enable her to have the left hind cruciate operation, which the vet had already told us would mean we would probably have to have the right hind cruciate done too within another 18 months due to her overcompensating.
I felt that with this and now having to go through the spinal surgery for a slipped disc was too much to ask of her.
The vet suggested X-rays in the morning but I couldn't bare to leave her alone at the vets overnight to probably be faced with the same outcome.
I feel completely hollow.

Alec Swan

Visit site

At 1am this morning we made the heartbreaking decision to have my beautiful rottie PTS. ....... the guilt of having to make that final decision is completly eating me up.

We all hate it, and I realise that telling others that how they feel is wrong, is in itself wrong, and that's not what I'm doing, BUT, looking at it from here, your dog had a loving and responsible owner, and one who put the animals welfare before their own. In my book, yours was a loving and caring act, and one which in time, hopefully, will bring you a degree of comfort. I'd applaud you.

So often, and sometimes on here, we read of those who, often upon advice, put dogs through unimaginable misery, with no clear prognosis, and with the belief that extending the suffering will all be worth it, in the end. It often isn't.

Take comfort and a degree of pride, in the fact that you did what was right.

Alec.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm so sorry, Gypley. For what it's worth, I probably would have made the same decision. Sometimes you can't convey to your loved animal that it 'might' all be worth it and you have to let go. Hugs. xx

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
So sorry to hear this but glad you made the decision to PTS sooner rather than later. Its utterly heartbreaking, I know.

However, baby horse sounds like a star.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's horrible isn't it when you get home and realise that *something* must be wrong and you have to go and find out what, a really nasty stomach-lurching feeling.
We have 2 Rottie pups and are already very conscious that we will have to be very careful of their joints etc and watch their weight and exercise carefully. We had to have previous Rottie pts aged 9 and that seemed to be too soon!
You should take some comfort from the fact that your girl is no longer in pain and that you did the very best you could for her by not leaving her alone and in pain at the vets overnight, with a very real risk of the same outcome in the morning. Try to remember the good times.
And use your pony, who sounds lovely, to try take your mind off your loss.

Gypley

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. It really does mean a lot. Its times like this when I wonder why I put myself through the heartache of having animals, but then I look at my baby horse and I remember that dispite the enevitable outcome of all out our animals, the good times really do make it all worth while, and im so lucky to have had such an amazing dog in my life.

We have 2 Rottie pups and are already very conscious that we will have to be very careful of their joints etc and watch their weight and exercise carefully. We had to have previous Rottie pts aged 9 and that seemed to be too soon!

They truely are the best breed I have ever owned. Ive never known such a loyal loving dog. Its such a shame that thir joints always tend to get the better of the :(
We struggled with Daisys weight due to living in a pub. Dispite all of the clients in there constantly being asked not to feed the dogs, im sure everyone thought that 'just one' pork scratching wont hurt. I dont balme them, although it is frustrating to think there potetially killing an animal with kindness!

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
So sorry Gypley :( FWIW I had a situation with my Great Dane who was really ill I left her with the vets overnight and returned at 7am to knock up the day shift ... she had already passed. Never again. turns out she had addisons disease which they totally failed to identify and which could have been treated.