Ultrasound/Shock Wave Therapy

JackAT

Visit site
Afternoon all.

I've read on several posts about injuries being treated with ultrasound, or shock waves. I'm just curious as I've never heard of it being done before.

So how is it different to diagnostic ultrasound used for imaging, and has anyone had any experiences they would like to share of it working well for them? Also, what kind of injuries would you use it for?

:)

star

Visit site
Shockwave is high velocity sound waves. Ultrasound is high frequency sound waves.

Shockwave is used a lot for proximal suspensory desmitis but various other conditions as well.

floradora09

Visit site
I've never heard of ultrasound being a treatment, usually it's used to diagnose soft tissue injuries by looking at fibre pattern/holes etc (the white stuff is tissue, the black stuff fluid). Shockwave as star said is high velocity sound waves, it helps to stimulate cells to heal in areas where there isn't often a huge blood supply (proximal suspensory ligaments, for one!). I don't think there is any hard evidence/studies as to it's effectiveness but I believe 50% return to soundness improvement has been quoted (anecdotally).

Treatment is usually 3 treatments with a two week interval, accompanied with walking to make sure tissue aligns the correct way. Other treatments also include PRP (platelet-rich plasma) and stem cells. The former can be injected into a 'general area' of damage, and the platelets contain growth factors to also stimulate healing whilst the latter must be injected into a contained area (eg clear hole within tendon/ligament) and the cells mature to become strong connective tissue (not weaker scar tissue). It has been found that use of stem cells in treatment reduces the re-injury rate by 50%, but promotes a better heal not a faster heal so rehab will take just as long!

My horse damaged both hind proximal suspensory ligaments in about october. It was initially treated as arthritis (both can respond to flexion tests) but he was still definitely lame. He has been on 3 months box rest, shockwave and PRP- scans have improved significantly and he is now looking pretty good. It's still early days but we started trotting two weeks ago again and so far he's feeling fab!

JackAT

Visit site
Thanks all!

Got a much better understanding now. That stuff about stem cells and platelet therapy sounds interesting - is it still in trials at the moment or is it an established licensed treatment?

I might have a bit of a search around the internet now I've got some good info to base a search on. (I've just had my last exam this morning and I don't start again until Monday, got to find something so I don't get bored!)

lucyandtwiglet

New User
Visit site
Hi,

My Pony has Kissing spines and is having shockwave treatment on her back. Our vets Liphook Equine say that it helps them to understand the severity of the problem and whether it is improving or worsening. My 'diagnosis' of it is much simpler but it's basically a gentle electric current running through the area and it makes a sort of knocking noise!! It hurts them , if there is pain but if not it doesn't. My mare is very sensitive but it is showing us what sort of things make what sort of difference. For example my mare had 'a bit of a party' in the field about 1 hr before her treatment and that caused a lot of pain which the shockwave helped us see!! Would recommend it!! (lgeventing.weebly.com)

paulineh

Visit site
Both Stem Cell and Platelet Therapy are established treatments.

Ultra Sound can be used to treat a number of problems from Tendonitis and recently it has been used in the NHS for treating fractures.

leflynn

Visit site
Both Stem Cell and Platelet Therapy are established treatments.

Ultra Sound can be used to treat a number of problems from Tendonitis and recently it has been used in the NHS for treating fractures.

YO had a fractured hand at the time I had the ultra sound for Red and she also used it and could feel it starting to heal too! She has hired it again as the NHS won't send her for it...