Umbilical hernias

horsestar

Visit site
Has anybody had surgery completed? Was it successful and approx costs?!
Bought a yearling nearly two years ago when I had him castrated he went to vets and knocked out in the field whilst he was down they had a look and told me it was best to leave it. Two fingered hole but quite a big exteria bump! I've since read other things and just wondered if anyone else out there has done it! He was a bit of a case when I bought him! I usually sell when they are ready to break but no one is interested i didnt think it was as big of issue as it now seems, plus since changed vets. New vets have not seen him yet( thankfully nothing has gone wrong) so looks like he's going to be a permanent fixture at my abode!!! My insurance wont cover it obviously but willing to pay to get him right. I might add in all the time I've owned him he's never been affected by it and I have had him living out mostly but this winter he's been in routine. He's been in good grass and in winter when lived out adlib haylage nothing affects him food wise. He's such a dream to do! Shane the people who bred him didn't sort the hernia straight out!!!!! Anyhow experience of process/costing would be appreciative so I can start planning!!!

hayinamanger

Visit site
I have had two umbilical hernia repairs over the years, both were done as 6 month old foals. Both hernias were quite large and there was a risk of of gut strangulation.The surgery was straightforward on both. The biggest issue is that the youngster needs to be box rested for approx 6 weeks, not easy. Mine were fed ad lib hay and buckets of fresh grass, but no concentrates to try and keep them sane. Vets always tell you to walk them in hand, but this is dangerous, so I certainly would not recommend it.
No idea of cost these days, but at a guess, I'd say somewhere in the region of £450-£750.

horsestar

Visit site
That's really helpful thank you hayinamanger. How do they look now? Not too bothered about the box Rest hes been in quite a bit over winter and does not mither over the door he just loves his food!!

abailey

Visit site
My filly had her op at 6 months too......very straight forward with no complications, Cost approx £500. x

windand rain

Visit site
Mine had her banded as a yearling and she was kept outside and did really well cost was about the same as gelding as she had to be turned upside down under anesthetic and banded

Foxhunter49

Visit site
One family line I had nearly all the foals had umbilical hernias. Never had one operated on but, the vet would tie off using lamb rings.
They push anything back into the hernia, gather the skin around and ring it. This pulls the skin tight over the hole and it heals well. The gather skin just shrivels away.
Sound horrid but the initial discomfort goes after a couple of minutes and there is no need for box rest.