Un-catchable horse!!!

Birker2020

Visit site
The best solution I've found is just to keep walking them around until they give in. It will probably take all day the first time, but walk her round and round until she gives in, don't let her stop to graze, don't run, just calmly keep her moving until she will stop to be caught. Then catch her, give her a treat and turn her loose again. Repeat until you can catch her whenever you want. It's time consuming and unbelievably frustrating, but should eventually work. No fun at this time of year mind ??
Yes, this is what i was told with my youngster many years ago, who was particuarly awkward to catch. If your paddock is particuarly big you might have to revert to electric fencing to fence it in half otherwise you will spend all your time walking to catch her up and this will defeat the object.

Birker2020

Visit site
As an aside, the native Americans used to catch horses on the open prairie using the 'walking down' technique described above. It even works with an entirely feral horse on unlimited pasture with no fences. It just takes a while longer.
Sorry I don't disagree with what you are saying but how? I couldn't do it with my youngster, he was in a field which went opened into another field of approx 40 acres in total. The only time I got near enough to catch him was on HIS terms and that was when they were all crowded around the gate to come in at the end of the day.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Sorry I don't disagree with what you are saying but how? I couldn't do it with my youngster, he was in a field which went opened into another field of approx 40 acres in total. The only time I got near enough to catch him was on HIS terms and that was when they were all crowded around the gate to come in at the end of the day.
I believe they worked as a team to separate the desired animal from a herd, and then followed it, at a run if necessary, but not getting too close at first for 3-5 days. Probably a bit fitter than we are.

Birker2020

Visit site
I believe they worked as a team to separate the desired animal from a herd, and then followed it, at a run if necessary, but not getting too close at first for 3-5 days. Probably a bit fitter than we are.
Flipping heck what a nightmare. :(
PS have no idea why this multi quoted lol

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

Monty Roberts did this some years ago (as part of a "training a wild horse from scratch in the wild" challenge). He did it on horse back. No idea if Native Americans did it that way, but it would make sense.

ETA It took 3 days.

TPO

Visit site
Monty Roberts did this some years ago (as part of a "training a wild horse from scratch in the wild" challenge). He did it on horse back. No idea if Native Americans did it that way, but it would make sense.

ETA It took 3 days.

That was proven to be fake I think? I'm sure there was a book and quotes from cameramen. They possibly used a chopper to chase the horse at points.

They ran the feral to the point of exhaustion then saddled him and had a large man get on. "Shy Boy" was the horse used as yet another marketing gimmick by that man.

Hepsibah

Visit site
That was proven to be fake I think? I'm sure there was a book and quotes from cameramen. They possibly used a chopper to chase the horse at points.

They ran the feral to the point of exhaustion then saddled him and had a large man get on. "Shy Boy" was the horse used as yet another marketing gimmick by that man.
I just read this out to my OH and she said that was what put her off him. It was nothing but cruel.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

I haven't seen that report but I'm interested in the definition of "proof" you are applying there. Presumably you mean it is claimed to be a fake? It was a BBC documentary and they have pretty high standards, I would need a fairly high standard of proof to believe it was all lies and they deliberately chased the horse to the point of exhaustion with helicopters.

TPO

Visit site
I haven't seen that report but I'm interested in the definition of "proof" you are applying there. Presumably you mean it is claimed to be a fake? It was a BBC documentary and they have pretty high standards, I would need a fairly high standard of proof to believe it was all lies and they deliberately chased the horse to the point of exhaustion with helicopters.

Well anyone with eyes could see the state of the poor horse at the end of the ordeal as they saddled him then watch him buckle as the large man got on.

As to the rest at the time there was reams of stuff and it was the account of a (presumably) BBC cameraman. Choppers were claimed to be used, not "just" chased on horseback by MR. If you care enough you're as able to Google as I am.

I'm more than happy to remain in the "cannot stand Monty Roberts and his methods" camp.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I'm more than happy to remain in the "cannot stand Monty Roberts and his methods" camp.

Thats fine, and I shall happily remain in the "think he's a basically good guy who takes a lot of unnecessary and over the top flack" camp. I don't think he's perfect or always does everything right, and he definitely has a "showman" side that makes me uncomfortable, but whenever I've met him I've found him very genuine in his desire to make life better for horses, and very open to discussion and criticism in a way most "big names" aren't.

maya2008

Visit site

ETA It took 3 days.

As a child, my friend’s pony was extremely hard to catch. We used mine to ‘walk’ her down as the field was ginormous and she liked to canter off at speed when you got close. Was quicker and more effective to jump on the other one to chase after her, than to do so on foot! We got quite good at riding bareback in a headcollar as a result!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I need HELP!!! My 6 year old cob mare who I rescued as a foal has suddenly decided she does not want to be caught! This started in the summer months when her sweet itch was horrendous and it has got worse and worse. She hasn't been caught since her last farrier visit 8 weeks ago and I have the farrier on Thursday! I have tried chasing her round, putting her in a smaller pen, leaving her on her own, letting her walk in from the field without being led. I am literally lost and stuck with what to do next and it is now starting to really get to me! She was always such a good girl so quiet really trusting in me used to walk upto me when I called her, she was wintered out last year on very bad grazing and looking back it was the wrong thing to do but my hands were tied she moved to a new yard in June with my gelding who she has always been turned out with and they are now seperated in mares and geldings fields ( I have tried taking my gelding to her with no succes) and has a lot of grass and is really overwight at the minute. I need to get her in and I have no idea how to tackle this problem which has now escalated way to far! Someone please help me!
Is it your place??? if so I would build a corral near the entrance and feed him in their every day then on the day of the farrier, just shut him in over night. If it is not your place then electric fencing the same.

I think its worth having a corral at the front, and feed and hay him in it so it ends up as a happy place for him.

With some of ours that did not get caught, the owners opened the gate to the yard, and ushered the horse into the yard where more easily caught. Others (as our fields not huge) tied rope onto the fence and gradually corralled the horse into the corner.

If all else fails, learn to lasso

Flying_Form

Visit site
I need HELP!!! My 6 year old cob mare who I rescued as a foal has suddenly decided she does not want to be caught! This started in the summer months when her sweet itch was horrendous and it has got worse and worse. She hasn't been caught since her last farrier visit 8 weeks ago and I have the farrier on Thursday! I have tried chasing her round, putting her in a smaller pen, leaving her on her own, letting her walk in from the field without being led. I am literally lost and stuck with what to do next and it is now starting to really get to me! She was always such a good girl so quiet really trusting in me used to walk upto me when I called her, she was wintered out last year on very bad grazing and looking back it was the wrong thing to do but my hands were tied she moved to a new yard in June with my gelding who she has always been turned out with and they are now seperated in mares and geldings fields ( I have tried taking my gelding to her with no succes) and has a lot of grass and is really overwight at the minute. I need to get her in and I have no idea how to tackle this problem which has now escalated way to far! Someone please help me!

If there isn’t many in the field with her, could you take the rest out in hopes she might follow? They usually do as they don’t want to leave the herd! Or leave her with an older horse that is easier to catch as it can make all the difference.

last year I had a 5 year old for some schooling who came very easy to catch but she was turned out with a pony who was impossible to catch. She kind of learned off him to run off once she saw me or my fiance coming, so I ended up turning her out with the old mare who always came to the gate and she ended up following after her all the time after only about 2 days, and before she left to go home she was just so easy to catch I could put her anywhere! I know if it’s not your own yard and you’re on livery it can be hard to do these things but even if you put her in a paddock with something old and reliable for a week it could make a bit of a difference!

i assume you’ve already tried the shaking the feed bucket/treats in hand tricks already to no avail!!

Lois Lame

Visit site
when I have caught her she has had her dinner a treat and turned back out, for some reason other people seem to be more succesful at getting her than me which is weird! I think I have already made things 10x worse to be honest because she might aswell be feral now :(

I suspect you are giving off I-Know-I'll-Never-Catch-You vibes. And so you can't catch her.

Time for an attitude adjustment :) You know you'll succeed this time.

Take a water bottle, some carrots to munch (for you), a head collar in a comfortable position (I like over the shoulder) and only start the operation knowing that you have all day.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I once bought an unhandled Fell mare who was brought off the moor into the farmyard and from there into the lorry quickly and very efficiently using a well trained pair of sheep dogs. No person touched her in the process. At the other end she was unloaded straight into a stable with the help of a couple of gates giving her no other route.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Bob can be bloody awkward. As undisputed herd leader ,he considers its first out, last in.So anything other gets turned into a run around game ,OR DID !!!!. I was getting desperate , I would send out various other (less suspicious ) people to try and catch him ,but it was pot luck. Tried all the treats and being nice, waste of time!. Then one day ,after he had been particularly rude to the lovely Raichel who had tried to catch him I let rip at him . I stood in the middle of the field without moving a muscle ,and shouted a stream of abuse at him. HOW DARE YOU BE SO RUDE TO MY FRIEND<YOUR MOTHER WOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOU <YOUR NO BETTER THAN A WARM BLOOD etc etc Anything I could think of. .A constant stream of harsh abuse. Birds probably fell out of trees and grass wilted! He looked shocked , Kept swinging his head to walk away but he couldnt get his feet to move . He was mouthing and clearly upset. I stopped, walked up to him ,put the head collar on and we walked in. Irish Draughts dont like being shamed in front of their friends!

Lois Lame

Visit site
I read a novel (I hope it was a novel) a long time ago called The Wild Heart by Helen Griffiths.

Here's the blurb:

"La Bruja -'The witch' - was born on the South American pampa, a cross between thorougbred and wild pony. While she was still a foal her mother was killed by lightning, so that La Bruja learnt early to fight for her existence and grew into a fierce, independent creature whose mixed percentage had bequeathed her a strangely ugly face but wonderful fleetness of foot.

My school friends and I really liked this book, but it was sad. Bitter-sweet. Anyhow, the gaucho who caught La Bruja at one time did so by walking after her. She of course would run off. He would eventually catch up. I believe the walking down method works even in very large paddocks, and have done it successfully there.