Unable to balance in trailer

trottingon

Visit site
Friend's new pony has mainly travelled in a box before. We've now had him out half a dozen times and he just can't seem to balance in a trailer.
I drive into corners at a snails pace, round the corner, out of the corner, and all the while we can hear him banging around trying to find his feet. Whether a ten minute journey or thirty minute journey he comes out sweating madly. He's not obviously stressed before of after the journey, he loads fine every time so doubt he is traumatised in any way.
He has injured himself a couple of times, once with boots on and once when we tried him without boots (trying to find out if the boots were the problem)
When standing in the trailer he is calm and eats his hay like any other, but has been seen to jump and wedge his feet against the outer wall of the trailer and his body against the partition?
We have travelled him on both sides, with and without another pony.
Any ideas what we can try next please?
Will he ever get used to it???

Shay

Visit site
Are you able to remove the partition and let him find his own space? Most boxes have the pony either completely sideways to the direction of travel or herringbone. Balancing facing to the direction of travel (or away from it) is much harder. Removing the partition and substituting full width breach bars may help.

trottingon

Visit site
Thanks
I have thought about that but don't think I know anyone with full width bars I could borrow - maybe I'll have to ask around?
Plus we usually travel two ponies ��

Shay

Visit site
A friend had this with a new competition pony a few years back and ended up having to buy a box. If you can't allow him to travel full width then your choices are a bit limited - he'll either get used to it or he won't. Sorry!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
First check trailer, suspension and tires. Does he get a comfortable ride.
How are his hocks? I know a few horses that have had issues balancing in trailers and it has been discovered that they have hock issue.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would go on a longer journey. Preferably on motorways and every day til he gets used to it. I bought a horse last thurs and she was terrified in the trailer initially. I've had her out most days in it and she has improved immensely.

10wardd

Visit site
Hi,
I've had exactly the same problem as you actually just last month and I know a few people who also have this problem (my horse was actually falling over in the trailer around corners). We believe its due to horses not being able to get their hind legs further enough apart. Unfortunately there is only one way to solve the problem and thats by taking the partition out :( That wasn't a long term solution for us as we travel 2 horses together quite often so have had to buy a lorry.
Good luck!

Pascal96

Visit site
I second trying without a partition - some horses seem to need to spread their legs much wider than a partition would allow. The only other thing I can think of is to see if you can try a trailer where the horses face backwards - there are a lot of horses who are happier travelling that way.

Clodagh

Visit site
First check trailer, suspension and tires. Does he get a comfortable ride.
How are his hocks? I know a few horses that have had issues balancing in trailers and it has been discovered that they have hock issue.

Agree with this, my boy cannot travel in a trailer, he keels over like a stone, and my vet said it was linked to his hock issues.
Most horses are better with no partition, may be worth trying that? Also if you have an ifor the partition doesn't go to the floor so they cannot support themselves. A solid partition means the horse can brace his hoof against the bottom.

taraj

Visit site
Mine was like this so took partition out and only travel with brushing boots and he travelled fine! But like you we like to travel 2 at a time so over the last few months have gradually started putting partition back in (front bit first on ifor Williams as they come in 2 bits which is handy!) we have now managed to travel him on 2 short journeys with another horse and full partition without him slipping/falling over, touches wood!.Sometimes they just need there confidence building up. On a different note, I had my horses back checked by physio after he went over first time and he was very tight through his stifles so this may of made it uncomfortable to balance.

Clannad48

Visit site
Whereabouts are you OP I have full breech and breast bars you could try if you are close enough - we had a similar issue with our mare, which is one of the reasons we bought the full width bars. Another problem that caused the initial issue was uneven tyre pressures, not by much but obviously enough to cause a problem.

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
Another one whose horse had this problem too: my horse was eventually found to have bad back and hocks. Like some others I used a full breast bar and it seems to have helped a lot.

trottingon

Visit site
Thank for your kind offer Clannad48, but I'm the other end of the country ��
We actually tried him today on a mainly motorway journey but on the passenger side of the trailer and he was much much better. We have had him on that side before and thinking back he had travelled a bit better that side. So the plan now is to keep him on that side for the next few journeys and see if it was a fluke or if he really is better that side. Certainly today although he was visibly shaking like a leaf before we set off, he didn't stumble much and he wasn't dripping with sweat at the other end.
Thanks for all your comments, we'll see how it goes over the next few outings, I may be back��

aussierider

Visit site
Taking the partition out will fix it, I have known people to travel two horses together without the divider without issue. Otherwise, putting the horse on the left instead of the right has fixed it for some horses I've known.

Jazzy B

Visit site
My friends horse used to be awful travelling on the passenger side... Move him to the driver side he was absolutely fine.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Mine is one of these - nearly fell over the first and only time we put him in a trailer, absolutely cannot balance! He now goes side or rear facing in a horsebox only, and it took me years to get him over that one traumatic experience!

Fun Times

Visit site
Taking the partition out will fix it, I have known people to travel two horses together without the divider without issue. Otherwise, putting the horse on the left instead of the right has fixed it for some horses I've known.

I agree with taking the partition out but would not suggest travelling two horses together like this - my friend tried it once and the amount of blood and flapping skin involved when she off loaded was most unpleasant to witness.