Unaff Dressage Elementary

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Is it worth doing unaff Elementary or is it better to start affiliating?

Also, is it allowed usually to do a Prelim test and also an elementary test on the same horse?

Thanks
smile.gif

Madam_max

Visit site
Depends on how confident you feel
smile.gif
I prefer aff as USUALLY the judging is more consistent. Why would you want to do a prelim & Elem on the same horse?
smile.gif

horseywelsh

Visit site
i have done 3 unaff elem. and none aff yet, gained my confidence doing it this way, took me a while to even think we were good enough to have a go at one, now i don't know why i waited so long.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
lol - is more about the money really. I can't decide if I actually want to 'do' dressage but I am quite enjoying it atm.

Some of the unaffiliated classes round here are often 'pick a test types' where you can choose from Novice or Elementary tests.

I like to do two tests but presume I can't enter one class twice, so would end up having to do a Prelim as a warm up test (if you see what I mean). Which doesn't seem fair to those genuinely doing Prelim? Presume I can't go H/C in unaff?

scrumpygus

Visit site
Hi there i did loads of unaff elementary until i felt i had to join bd to move on. I found that my average marks went down by about 5 which made me feel that unaff gave me a false impression of how i was doing - all of a sudden from getting 67 - 72's unaff i was getting early 60s if i was lucky!- the standard is much higher at bd. And as far as i know u can compete prelim and elem - but once u start gaining points at bd (which u only can from novice upwards and with scores of above 60%) u will find u wont be able to compete in the lower classes but i think you have to have quite a few points before that happens.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
That's a good point - I could do that and see how much our marks come down in the aff.

It just seems a bit silly to me to do elementary and not affiliate, a bit like jumping 1.05 opens but not doing any BSJA.

Meh! I can't decide...
laugh.gif

horseywelsh

Visit site
i've done the pick a test beofre, and done both novice and elementary as i don't think it's fair doing prelim, organiser was happy for me to do this and highest score counted, other didn't count.

i'm same as you, at minute can't afford to pay out BD membership and horse registration so i'm doing aff novice on a class ticket, and you don't need to be a member or horse registered to do aff prelim.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

If you were buying a horse for DR, would you rather something that was affiliated prelim/novice or out competing at Elementary unaffiliated? I guess the former of the two?

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
i've done the pick a test beofre, and done both novice and elementary as i don't think it's fair doing prelim, organiser was happy for me to do this and highest score counted, other didn't count.

i'm same as you, at minute can't afford to pay out BD membership and horse registration so i'm doing aff novice on a class ticket, and you don't need to be a member or horse registered to do aff prelim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, thanks! That helps a lot - thought I had to do one or the other. Cheers
grin.gif